Skip to main content

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 416 total)
  • Author
  • in reply to: Mt. Shuksan: Hanging Glacier Headwall + Northwest Couloir #797927
    Kyle Miller

    Sadly a week ago Adam passed away in an avalanche in an area he grew up in. It’s heartbreaking and shows that we should never put our guard down.

    Here is a link with more info

    Sending positive vibes to his family, friends and the people who went to recover him. 🙁

    in reply to: NorthSouthEastWest: Chapter 1, New Zealand #797239
    Kyle Miller

    Glad you guys enjoyed it. Next week I will post about my 3 month stint in Japan.

    in reply to: Winter and Spring 2014: New Zealand #678621
    Kyle Miller

    Great pictures and write up.

    I had a blast hanging out and touring with you and I look forward to a stellar season next year.

    in reply to: Splitboarding Camps #678166
    Kyle Miller

    Exum guides based out of the Tetons has a splitboard mountaineering clinic. I may join them for a trip or two.

    Kelly at SEC is an excellent resource for all things splitboard knowledge and a good soul as well.

    They offer….


    Kelly is a really good guy!!!

    in reply to: Rider down – news reports Liz Daley killed in avalanche #677575
    Kyle Miller



    Liz definitely had a spark in her eyes and it was contagious. I was looking forward t going out on numerous missions with her over the upcoming winter but sadly that will never happen. Condolences to Davide, Drew, Liz’s family and everyone who’s life was changed by her.

    Life is precious and time is limited.

    in reply to: Instagram splitters #656059
    Kyle Miller

    @kylemiller411 Splitboarding Missions in New Zealand at the moment then off to a Northern Hemi Winter

    in reply to: TR: Home, Sweet Home. Baker>Index>Rainier #676771
    Kyle Miller

    Great work!!! Have a blast in AK and looking forward to touring with you next season.

    Kyle Miller

    Thank you so much for being an awesome touring partner. I had a total blast!!!

    Iceland is such an amazing place and I highly recommend it to anyone who likes car side access in a stunning landscape. If the weather is good it is simply amazing but if the weather goes bad….your f**ked.

    Too bad I didn’t achieve my third goal to soak in a hot springs, looks like I will have to go back.

    in reply to: Wandering around on the North side of Mt. Rainier #676130
    Kyle Miller

    @UPGRAYEDD_2505 wrote:

    Wondering…wandering…that side of Rainier always seems to deliver for you. Nice won.

    Ha!!!! Spotted that when I got back from the Splitfest.

    That place is RAD!!!!!!

    in reply to: A Year in Review, My 2013 season #675898
    Kyle Miller


    I got an email in May asking what I was up to for the month of June and if I was wanting/willing to put in a huge traverse of the North Cascades. At first I wanted nothing to do with it but after a day of thinking about it decided that it would be better than sitting at home. I was game to Attempt the American Alps Traverse. Long, long, long story short it was the brainchild of PNW pioneer and ski historian Lowell Skoog to do a continous traverse from Highway 20 to Glacier Peak. Logistacally it was pretty intense, following the North Cascade crest over 100 miles a 4 seperate traverses ( Isolation,Ptarmagin, Extended and the Suattle high Route) The thought of it was overwhelming so I just broke it down into surviving mini missions. So for the rest of May I just relaxed and prepared for June.


    Isolation Traverse

    June came fast and although May had been a wet month in the Cascades the 7 day forecast was calling for clear days, we had hoped for the best and we got it. I was nervous packing my bag for the first leg but I was excited to get into a zone I had never seen from the alpine. So we packed our bags and started off at the Pyramid Lake trail head @ 2,000 feet on the North Cascade highway. It took about 4,000 feet and multiple hours before we hit snow and were able to start skinning but from then on we hoped we would be skinning for the next few days.

    It wasn’t until the second day that the clouds broke and we were able to see what we were up against, but it was awesome.

    For the most part it was snow but occasionally we would get onto these massive open platforms made all the more amazing because undernealth them was almost vertical rock faces dropping into the Mcallister valley.

    It was by the third day that the weather got really warm and we came upon an area called the Devils Backbone. Now we were pretty deep into the Cascades and the valleys that surrounded us were the stuff of bushwhacking legend.

    We expected corn but what we got was avi prone slush. Ski cuts would cause wet slides that ran down thousands of vertical feet. We had hoped to run accross the 3 mile ridge had to slow things down. Cut the slope, watch it slide than repeat. We hoped for an hour but it took us about 7.

    We had planned goals of camping spots but that fell apart with a quickness. We had made it half the distance of what we were hoping but our campsite for the night would turn out to be our favorite of the trip. That night we watched the sunset over the North Cascades and went to sleep hoping that travel would go smoother from here on out.

    We had hoped for a total of 5 days doing the Isolation but it had actually taken us 4. Once arriving at the Dorado Needles I was back in a familiar place. Knowing we were just a few hours from the Eldorado trailhead and where are food resupply was waiting we just put our heads down, skinned and made our way almost 6,000 feet to the valley below.

    Ptarmigan Traverse

    I had mixed feeling about the next section of mountains. I was excited because I had never been into the region before but not so excited because the terrain was many miles of sidehilling. I was feeling good so far so we packed our bags to full capacity and started off up the mountains. We decided instead of rushing the section we would take our time and do it in multiple days so we climbed up the Cascade River valley and camped on Cache Col just above Cascades Pass.

    That night clouds came in and it started raining. The next morning we made the decision to call it a weather day and took to repairing gear and keeping log of how much food we had and looking at the topo maps for the millionth time.

    That night we came up with plans and since we had lost a day because of weather we would have to make it up. We watched the sun set over Sahale and Buckner and set the alarm for 5 a.m.

    We started really early in the morning and what we hoped would be corn hadn’t softened up yet. While Jason had it pretty easy doing a mellow ski traverse I was on my heelside edge. At some points when exposure was a real concern I would put on my crampons and walk across the section.

    The next 12 hours was monotonous. Side hill, climb up a few hundred feet and ride a quarter of a mile. This went on and on forever and with visibility pretty low it was by far the most painful day of the traverse.

    We got to camp which was a melted out spot near White Rocks lake just as the sun set and threw the tent up. The day was long and we were exhausted to we decided to set our alarm for around 8:00 and laze around for a bit before moving on.

    Extended Ptarmigan Traverse

    We had completed the Ptarmigan traverse and were now getting into the extended Ptarmigan which there was no official route for. What we knew was that we had to make it up and over Gunsight col so we started across valley and started coming up with a plan.

    Extended Ptarmigan

    Only a few groups had done this trip before and they had all started it at Dome peak which meant we would be sidehilling for a few hours, which I was over with. Jason and I made the decision that instead of traversing we would drop low and skin up the Chikaman.

    The route up onto the glacier went smooth and we were stoked. From here on everything was up in the air and this was the first moment that I actually felt like we were in the middle of nowhere. The glacier was stunning with crevasses littering it and was an easy ramp until we arrived at the crux which was an ice cliff.

    There was no way that the actually glacier would go but we had spotted a ramp running up the side to the upper ice plateau. We didn’t know what to expect but at that moment we couldn’t ask for things to go more smoothly.

    That night we camped up at Gunsight col and took in the views. In every direction was a stunning vista of mountains that never see any human contact. In the distance we could see Glacier peak our final destination. Though it looked like we could touch it we were still at least a week away.

    Coming up with a route we looked upon an area called Bannock Mountain. We had hoped there was a smooth ramped that we could ride onto the mellower slopes below but from topos in looked like 95% of it cliffed out. I stressed about this section for a long time and from our vantage point the potential ramp was blocked from view. We decided to go for it and hope for the best.

    Once we got there we found a ramp down to Bannock Lakes. It was almost melted out but luckily it was still in. In my case a lot of stress went away the moment we started making turns down the slope.

    With the crux of the trip over with we set up camp near one of the lakes and found a warm rock to rest on.

    The theme of the Extended Ptarmagan was that everything was unknown so the next day we decided to drop down to the PCT which was dirt then go climb up and over Bullstooth mountain before descending into the Agnes valley, up and over Cloudy Pass and set up camp at Lyman Lake. We skinned from 9A.M. until past sunset but it was a huge relief being at the familiar shores of Lyman.

    The next day we woke up and dried out our gear before heading down to Holden Village where our food was stashed.

    We made our way to snowline and stashed all our snow related gear before hitting the trail down valley. Down towards Holden it felt like Summer.

    Once in town they fed us, offered showers and gave us our packages of food that had been mailed a few days prio. I stuffed my face full of food enjoying the all you can eat desert trays.

    Suiattle High Route

    Our time in Holden was limited we were 2/3rds done with the traverse and according to the weather forecast a huge front was going to hit the Cascades in 4 days. After one night in town we had all of our stuff packed up and we were back up at Lyman Lakes camping in the rain and getting ready for an early start.

    When we woke up there were clouds in the sky but it seemed as thought the weather was improving so we packed our gear and started heading for the summit of Chiwawa Mountain.

    After a hour or two the clouds rolled in and we were climbing with visibility only limited to a few feet in front of us. We were fortunate that the terrain wasn’t that complex and we had a GPS that we kept checking. Once on the summit we dropped down the west slopes riding by braille.

    Our next climb of the day was to do another up and over but this time via Fortress Mountain. We hadn’t heard of anyone climbing/riding the East ridge but we decided to check it out. We quickly found out why we hadn’t heard of many people doing it before.

    It was challenging but we kept pushing up the exposed ridge before finally getting on mellower slopes. It was then that we found ourselves breaking out of the clouds.

    From the summit of Fortress the only mountain that was above the clouds was Glacier Peak which we had hoped was only two days away. This was the first time in the trip that I actually thought there was a chance that we were actually going to pull it off.

    We ripped our skins and rode down the west face of Fortress riding down to a flat dry spot and put up camp. The next day we would be back in the Napeequa which I had been in a few months prior.

    We woke up and started following a dry trail up to Buck Creek Pass and over to High Pass but the slopes quickly got covered in snow. We were hoping that the ridge was climbable but we were forced to sidehill on steep slopes until arriving at High Pass. From there we would be heading down to the Napeequa River at the base of the Dakobed Range.

    We found an animal trail down valley and were on the shores within a few hours. It was amazing to see how much snowpack had melted out but luckily it was pretty straight foreword travel.

    We decided to put camp up at Ten Peak which we both knew was striking distance from Glacier Peak as we had gone this way twice before. From our camp we could see our final summit so we went to bed excited that we had almost pulled off our goal.

    My whole body ached when I woke up. A part of me wanted to turn around but there was no place to turn around too so I put down my head and just started moving.

    It felt awesome skinning by areas that we had camped at on previous trips. I found it rather obvious why this is one of my favorite places in the Cascades.

    We could see a nasty front pushing in from the east as we climbed, hearing the crashes of thunder in the distance. It was a race with the weather and we had no choice but to push on.

    Our final thousand feet on Glacier Peak were surreal. The front was close and we could hear the buzzing of electricity on our gear. Once cresting the top we knew we had little time to celebrate so we hooted and hollered took a photo and were off.

    As we descended the from slammed into the mountain and immediately it started pouring rain. A part of me wanted to ditch my board but I put it on my pack and we started bushwhacking down the heavily vegetated slopes finally running into the old PCT trail that was damaged by a flood almost a decade ago.

    That night we camped at the devastation that once was the Kennedy Hot Springs which is now covered in 5 feet of dirt. We were stoked that all the mountain climbing was done and all that was left was some washout trail. I had been on it when doing the solo trip of Glacier Peak and I knew it had a lot of downfall but it was much worse than I expected.

    The trail was in the river and the washouts were unstable and just plain dangerous. Falls simply were not allowed.

    In the end those 3 miles took us almost 5. When we got to the trailhead we found a note on the sign and walked the final 7 miles out to the road. We were proud and stoked but wanted to get out of the mountains ASAP. Hummel was able to hitch a few rides up to the North Cascades to grab his car and picked me up at around 9 p.m. and within minutes the storm hit the Cascades hard.

    It was an honor to pull of the Traverse and to be the first group to do so. We had planned on it being around a month but only turned out to be 16 days, 120 miles and 60 thousand vert,

    For the next month in a half my board was put in the closet and tickets were booked to spend 4 months in NZ and Australia. Stoke level was on high.

    in reply to: A Year in Review, My 2013 season #675897
    Kyle Miller

    @BGnight wrote:

    Sweet! Nice Kyle

    Question for you PNW’ers: Why are no splitters going after the N Face of Mt Fury??? That is the sickest, proudest, most aesthetic line I’ve laid my eyes on in the PNW (well, photos at least)
    Get on that shit you pussies!!! 😉

    3 day approach through insanely complicated terrain and that is just to get to the base of it. To say it is sketch is an understatement.

    Thanks for the kind words everyone. I truly feel fortunate to follow my passion

    and with that………..


    In the beginning of April we had another break in weather so I met up with Scott and we hatched up a plan. Back to North Fork Bridge Creek and more importantly Goode. With the opening of Highway 20 we went up and over the southern shoulder of Black Peak.

    After a few hours of bushwhacking there he was the north face of Goode.

    We went to bed in the valley and got up early with plans to just check out conditions.

    The crazy thing about Goode is that it is about 5,500 feet of fall line.

    With crazy Cascadian fluting.

    We made it to the base of the NE col couloir. A few years prior we had climbed it and were unhappy with conditions, dropping the backside and skinning around 30 miles so we had a history. We decided we would check conditions and turn back when we became uncomfortable.

    It turned out it was soft easily climbable conditions and what had taken me 8 hours a few years back took us 2 hours this time. It felt awesome finally riding this line.

    The next day we set our sights on the source of the North Fork, Mt. Fremont.

    It was cool being back up on Logans Douglas glacier but this time from a different drainage.

    At the top we ripped the skins and rode another 5,000 vert run nearly back to camp.

    I epiced pretty hard on this trip first by getting myself caught in a wetslide and second by burning my boot liners that night in the fire. Needless to say my up and over 4,000 vert ascent/descent back to the car wasn’t the funnest of times.

    That night I made my way home dried out my gear and was back on the trail with Scott Rinckenberger and Ben Starkey this time off on a 3 day trip up the Napeequa River to Ten Peak.

    We skinned until sunset arriving at a high col right as the full moon came out. Yet again another surreal experience.

    The next day we rode the lower slopes of Mt. Clark to the Napeequa and started heading up valley.

    We skinned for a few hours making our way to the Butterfly Glacier which is the source of the river setting up camp at Butterfly col.

    With camp set up we were within striking distance of the NE slopes of Ten peak so we made a late afternoon skin up the mellow ridge.

    I love these two perspectives.


    and Scott’s

    From the top of Ten we could see that clouds were moving in. What was sunshine today was going to be rain the next day.

    Then it was back to camp

    The next morning we packed our stuff up in the rain and were off.

    It’s not an official Cascadian trip report until you put in a creek crossing.

    Witht he weather looking good I felt guilty at the thought of sitting on a couch so I was off to Rainier with my friend Boot.

    It was planned that we would skin up to Whitman Crest together and he dropped south back towards the car while I dropped north towards a solo 5 day traverse of Rainier.

    Making camp up on the Emmons Glacier.

    The next day was calm and quiet so I packed up my gear and made it our of the shadows and up the Emmons

    Climbing to the top of the Interglacier.

    From there I dropped 4,000 feet to the first creek hole that usually opens for water. Then I took a break and climbed up the 3rd Burrough and rested of the summit waiting for corn thirty.

    Around 1 P.M. I made my decent down the West face of the 3rd Burrough on to the Winthrop Glacier and making my way over to Mystic Lake.

    The next day I skinned into one of my favorite zones in the area, Moraine Park. For the next three days I camped w/ the Willis Wall in full display and rode awesome lines.

    It was rad but the one thing that stood out was the backwards sunset. It was surreal watching the alpenglow head up the mountain.

    The next morning I woke up to find that my skin had blown away in a wind storm so I pulled out some Voile straps and made my descent onto the Carbon Glacier.

    Turns out Voile straps are good for anything. 😉

    In all honesty I gave up on naming this one.

    I wasn’t home for long before I was back in the Park but this time via hanging out in Fryingpan Creek.

    We decided to go directly up a creek and work on our veggie belay skills.

    We’ve pretty much got this zone dialed so from Frying Pan we rode the NE Banshee Couloir, The Cowlitz Chimney, The Tamanos Chute and Tamanos swath pretty much back to the road.

    I was content with a rad season!!!

    in reply to: A Year in Review, My 2013 season #675889
    Kyle Miller


    Then it was off to the Mt. Baker Splitfest.

    All I can say is I love the North Cascades.

    There we a lot of people there but when everyone went right we went left and were able to find untracked snow.

    Thanks to Ben and Seth Holton for an amazing day.

    The next morning Ben and I got up early and made our way up Shuksan riding down the NW Couloir and making it back to his car by noon.

    We met up with Jason Hummel who was on his way to Canada for a G3 shoot and I hitched my way up to the Duffy Lakes area with go touring with my friend Holly Walker.

    The first day it town we went up to Cayuse and rode the Million Dollar couloir w/Hummel

    Before he said goodby and we went up to the Jofre hut the next day. It was a full moon that night so Holly and I skinned up the Aniversery Glacier as the Coastal Mountains glowed. The 3,000 feet of moon lit pow turns were unreal and to make matters crazy as we were skinning to the hut we saw a meteor burn up in the atmosphere. I have never seen anything like it.

    Then the next day we rode Jofre and Slalok and we were back to Whistler.

    With Holly working ski patrol and me having nothing to do I decided to do the Spearhead Traverse from Blackcomb Whistler. I ran into WhistlerMavrick and skinned w/ him for the first third then finished it by myself at the summit of Whistler mountain in 7:30 minutes. My best run of the day was a top to bottom corduroy run.

    At this point I had a dilemma. Hummel was passing through Whistler on his way back to the states and he was kind enough to swoop me up. Another high pressure system had hit Washington and when I arrived home most my touring partners were off on missions so I did a solo mission up north skinning into Glacier Peak.

    I quickly figured out what I thought was the only reason that they shut down the Kennedy Hotsprings trail. It was littered in Old growth downfall. Being stubborn I skinned up under and over numerous trees at even using the roll technique once or twice.

    It wasn’t long before I ditched the
    trail and made my way up a creek. With a few good handholds and some veggie belays I made it work.

    Calling it a night on the north side of Glacier peak watching the sunset and Kennedy and Shimitar glaciers.

    The next morning I woke up and started skinning up the Kennedy Glacier. My thoughts were to skin up to the summit and make a lap but that’s when I saw the Ermie Glacier from the North Col.

    It looked to good to pass by so I ripped my skins and rode 2000 feet of boot deep pow before skinning back on my down track back up to the col.

    I followed the north ridge up to the summit proper in the early afternoon and took in the views for a while. Later I found out Scott Mcalister was crushing it up on Bonanza that day and here I was staring at it for hours on end.

    From the summit I descended the Schimitar Glacier 3,500 feet down to within a hundred foot bootpack of camp.

    From my vantage point I could see clouds heading up the valley so decided to head back up to the Ermie Glacier hoping to get cover from the storm on the northwest side by hiding on the northeast side.

    That night I made a mistake and dug a snow pit to sleep in not thinking that the snow was loose particle snow. When the winds picked up I got buried in my bag while I was sleeping. It sucked but I learned from the ordeal. The only thing I lost was my GPS.

    Without a GPS I decided the safest move was instead of bushwhacking in unfamiliar terrain head to the south side which I was familiar with. I rode down the east face of Glacier Peak down the Chocolate Glacier and skinning up to Dissapointment Col. I had been at the col numerous times before and from here I could make my decision of which way to exit.

    As I got there the clouds rose to the base of my camp. I was sitting on the shores of a sea of clouds and rested pondering my options. My hope was to descend the west face but if it didn’t soften up I would have to go south down the White Chuck glacier over Red Pass and out the North Fork of the Sauk hoping after 9 miles of road skinning someone would pick me up and bring me to my car.

    Sadly by noon the next day the west face didn’t soften so I was off towards Red Pass.

    While amazing the south side felt more like nordic splitting

    It was a trip looking back up at Glacier peak knowing I was on the south col just a few hours earlier.

    At Red Pass I decended down towards the North Fork trail but by the time I hit the creek I was a bit upstream from the trial. I decided to skin up 100 feet and ride all the time heading downward. Finally hitting the trail by my 3rd transition.

    In the end I covered more than 70 miles. I called it the Abandoned Traverse because every trail leading to Glacier Peak is Abandoned.

    in reply to: A Year in Review, My 2013 season #675888
    Kyle Miller


    When February rolled around Scott Mcallister invited us to check out a zone he had been scoping. Forrest Thorniley was in town so we made our way up the Index Galena Road for a multiday adventure.

    The next morning we had a blast checking out the Monte Cristos with a group of 5 including Forrest, Scott, Jason, Ben and me. There were really no set plans so we decided to run around and check out the area.

    Spotting a col we made a group decision to boot pack up and check it out.

    It was big, steep and exposed. Definitely not a line for 5 people. Scott stepped up and went for it followed by Forrest. We decided to go around another col and found another shot down.

    In the end we circumnavigated Columbia Peak and had a blast showing Forrest some very unique and excited terrain. Thanks for the invite on this gem Scott.

    My next big adventure was later in Febuary when Bucky invited me to the Wasatch Splitboard Festival. Days after getting out of the Monte Cristos I was on a plane heading for SLC. Once arriving people were talking about how conditions were anything but good but it was the last day of forecasted sunshine for a while so we made our way up and down the South face of Superior.

    Throughout the week conditions steadly improved riding lines off Kessler, Twin Peaks, Raymond and Goblers Knob. I just followed as I firmly believe “Always Trust the Locals”

    Not 24 hours after landing back home in Seattle I was persuaded by my friend Elliot to head up to Canada and check out the amazing hut culture and meet some awesome people as well.

    While skinning around the first day we noticed a little zone that peaked our interest so we after a sunset descent we went back to the hut and set are alarms for an alpine start.

    The next day Louie Dawson and I put in a nice skin track and ran laps on it before heading back to the hut and proceeded to drink the finest of Canadian Fireball Whiskey. I love Canada!!!

    When we got home a very special thing happened. We had a solid rain event that ran up to 9000 feet in the on the volcanos followed by a foot of fresh snow right side up and……………….3 days of high pressure so Ben Starkey, Jason Hummel and I went on a trip that I had dreamt up many years before. A solid 3 days of mellow scenic skins followed by 4,000 vert fall line runs on the open glaciers on the north side of Rainier. We named it the Osceola Traverse.

    The rad thing about the North side of Rainier is that it is only open to visitors 3 months out of the year. Over the years I’ve always come out to here in spring and summer. There’s something quite humbling seeing these areas in winter.

    With no wind, stable snow, and boot deep pow we had a blast breaking in skin tracks.

    Then ripping our skins and riding down a few miles of epic NE facing glaciers.

    Riding onto the Carbon Glacier

    The next day it was the same story break in rad skin tracks.

    Then descend epic powder conditions.

    By then it was nearing the tail end of winter and the days were getting longer so we rode tell dusk before settling up at Sunrise a popular summer visitor center that’s once again only open 3 months a year.

    The genious thing about this trip was the exit. We knew that there was a chute that ran 3,000 vert directly down to White River Ranger station.

    At the bottom our friend Boot was waiting to give us a 16 mile hitch out to the Crystal Mountain snowpark.

    Hard to say what trip was my favorite last year but this one was a top contender.

    in reply to: A Year in Review, My 2013 season #675885
    Kyle Miller

    Be patient I have to get the green light to use certain photos for the months of Feb and March.

    Then I will be putting them up. Your excited for August/Sept I see.

    in reply to: 3/07/14 Matterhorn area-Sawtooth Range-Eastern Sierra #675832
    Kyle Miller

    Awesome pics!!! The mountains in our backyard are amazing.

    in reply to: A Year in Review, My 2013 season #675886
    Kyle Miller


    So this is where things get interesting. I was on a high from pulling off the Pickets traverse and I just moved to the big city AKA Seattle. It was Summer time and I had just started picking up jogging. With little to do but keep myself in shape I was doing 20 mile runs daily for about three weeks before I rolled my ankle. Without health insurance I waited for things to improve which was a painfully slow process. Within that time I decided to give up a 100 month snowboarding streak and once the beginning of winter came around my ankle was still feeling pretty weak so I decided to take my time and get my WFR (Wilderness First Response) certs while friend boasted about amazing conditions up on the mountains. It wasn’t until after Christmas that I finally felt my ankle was strong enough to head into the backcountry.

    Photo by Ben Starkey

    One of the reason I moved to Seattle was so I had the option/opportunity to get out of the Crystal Valley which I love but thought it would be exciting to check out other places like

    Snoqulamie Pass with good friend and touring Partner Ben Starkey

    Photo by Ben Starkey

    and the Stevens Corridor with Ben, Saign and Scott Mcallister

    Photo by Ben Starkey

    It was rad getting my feet wet in these areas

    Photo by Ben Starkey

    and I still wasn’t too far from the local stashes up around Crystal with my friend John Cocci

    Photo by John Cocci

    My ankle felt good, the snow was good and all was well.

    Photo by John Cocci

    A few days before New Years Boot, John Hannah and I made our way out onto my favorite mountain…..RAINIER!!!

    Photo by John Cocci

    and broke trail all the way up to the Interglacier which we rode down at Sunset.

    Photo by John Cocci

    For New Years Ben and I decided instead of drinking and partying we would celebrate in the company of the North Cascades via Mt. Shuksan

    Photo by Ben Starkey

    A few days later I was fortunate to hitch a ride up to the Cannuck Splitfest w/ Jerrett Taylor and experience my first ride via Eagle Pass heli for a one up touring package with Jerrett and Stephen Connick which was an amazing experience and some of the worst bushwhacking I would experience all season.

    Jerrett was kind enough to give me a ride back to Vancouver where I took a train back home and had a great conversation with the border control guard that went something like this.

    Him: Occupation
    Me: Professional Snowboarder
    Him: And you are on a train?
    Him: Clearly you need a new job

    On my way back home I chatted with Jason Hummel via Gmail and he mentioned going up to Lake Garibaldi near Whistler and asked if I was interested. I got home, packed my gear and the next day I was back in Canada with Jason, Hannah, Adam Roberts and Holly Walker. We skinned 16 kms including 3 kms across Lake Garibaldi to get into a zone called the Sphinx Bay and made it our base for the next five days

    Photo by Jason Hummel

    Our accommodations were quaint and cozy

    Photo by Jason Hummel

    Conditions turned out to be pretty wind scoured so we just goofed around making the best of the situation.

    Photo by Jason Hummel

    And tried to make the occasional wind drift look like the most amazing conditions ever.
    Photo by Jason Hummel

    in reply to: TR: Powder Asphyxiation & Col des Cristaux; Chamonix #675642
    Kyle Miller

    Awesome and thanks for the post!

    in reply to: Wasatch Splitboard Speaker Series–in SLC #661031
    Kyle Miller

    It was an honor being there.

    Thanks to both Bucky and Kelly for representing the Split culture in the Wasatch!!

    in reply to: 2014 Wasatch Splitfest #672614
    Kyle Miller

    I’m heading that way on Thursday and doing slideshow presentations @ Wasatch Touring on Thursday night as well as at at the Saturday night presentation. I will be around for a week and am very excited as I had a blast last year and there is POW in the foreseeable future.

    in reply to: New Splitboard Magazine issue online: Less is More #675095
    Kyle Miller

    Thank you very much for having me be involved.

    What a honor!!

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 416 total)