Skip to main content

Forum Replies Created

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 141 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • in reply to: Next Year ABS Systems – Any knowledge? #668264
    classicauto
    Participant

    don’t have 7 minutes to kill? haha

    about 4:10

    in reply to: Next Year ABS Systems – Any knowledge? #668262
    classicauto
    Participant

    I know its very rare, but I’ll mention it anyway – an ABS pack my friend demo’d we fired off when we brought it back because the guy said we could.

    When he pulled the trigger, one bag came out, the other blew apart the stitching inside the pack and inflated against his back, inside the bag itself

    The rep told us he’s seen it before – but that its rare. And then asked which model he’d like to buy lol

    A good reason for two bags I guess, however it didn’t give me a real awesome feeling about ABS especially considering the relative uselessness of the packs they offer.

    You can see the deployment in question in my video in the trip reports section.

    in reply to: Next Year ABS Systems – Any knowledge? #668256
    classicauto
    Participant

    The ABS packs are terrible feature wise, in my opinion, for anything aside from the 15L for a heli day.

    Using them to tour with is just a series of comprimses. Unfortunatley, getting a better oriented pack means adding weight, considering most of the larger ABS packs are literally just one big cave.

    I’m waiting to see in my hands some of the new mammut offerings, and personally, I think the jones airbag pack for next season looks amazing. All the features I love in a normal touring pack + airbag. Doesn’t seem to get better – but who knows what it will look like when it rolls out let alone how well it will truly work.

    in reply to: Need a new transceiver #668136
    classicauto
    Participant

    Have a look at the arva axis, saw one in action and have to say, pretty impressed. Really like the refresh/recycle time while doing a fine search.

    in reply to: Who puts the parts in the boxes? #667147
    classicauto
    Participant

    @firstlight wrote:

    @classicauto wrote:

    FWIW The firstlight pucks I bought didn’t have any screws. Shows them on the image on the page but came with zero. Wasn’t worrying about it I have lots but figured with the price and the fact that they’re shown, they would come with.

    Classic auto

    Sorry for that miss. hope it wasn’t too much of an inconvenience.

    If I ever get back over there its my :guinness:

    Cheers

    no worries! They’re working good 🙂

    in reply to: Who puts the parts in the boxes? #667152
    classicauto
    Participant

    FWIW The firstlight pucks I bought didn’t have any screws. Shows them on the image on the page but came with zero. Wasn’t worrying about it I have lots but figured with the price and the fact that they’re shown, they would come with.

    in reply to: Heel hang with the sparks burners and jones solution #666640
    classicauto
    Participant

    The board in this pic has the pucks in full-ahead mode.

    Unless your heel edge puck is nearly touching the center cut of the board, you aren’t in full ahead mode.

    http://www.mec.ca/Apps/outdoorGearSwap/gearswap_detail.jsp?FOLDER%3C%3Efolder_id=2534374302884103&refNo=373020&category_cd=Snowsports&sub_category_cd=Snowboards

    I can center out size 13 boots with this config, can’t see that 10’s are an issue. It does take a lot of tinkering though.

    in reply to: AK’s back on!… Alaska photo dump 2013 #666184
    classicauto
    Participant

    Nice looking lines dusty! You use your new friend as a hand warmer? He’s cute

    :thatrocks:

    in reply to: Tailgate AK partners wanted #666524
    classicauto
    Participant

    I’ll see you there! Snow cave split mode all the way.

    classicauto
    Participant

    Track down any Union binding straps/ladders/ratchets. If these are the 10/11 blaze (I’m assuming since you say bolts in the toe strap) the union parts will fit right on.

    EDIT: To clarify, the ladder/ratchets have different tooth count, so a union ladder will attach to the binding, but won’t mesh with the spark ratchet. If you go to union parts – change all of strap assembly.

    in reply to: K clip hook side mod #666064
    classicauto
    Participant

    how did you cut the plate? water jet? edm?

    slick!

    in reply to: Jones Ultracraft splitboard for 2013/14 @ 5.5lbs! #666031
    classicauto
    Participant

    @philip.ak wrote:

    I have a splitting friend who really wants to buy a Jones as his next board because of “everything JJ has done for the sport.”

    Yes, and what about all the companies who showed dedication to the backcountry by building and selling splits long before it blew up?

    I have more attachment to small companies, probably because I run a small business, but I certainly feel that the ones who’ve been in the game longest deserve more payback than they probably recieve.

    in reply to: Blaze Spark R&D Splitboard binding NEW ($200 shipped) #665847
    classicauto
    Participant

    awesome price, im amazed theres no replies haha

    GLWS

    in reply to: What difference does it make? #665625
    classicauto
    Participant

    I ride 10/11 blazes, there were no burners when I stepped up my bindings into the 21st century.

    I get on alright. But I’m the last person to blame equipment for anything related to my riding.

    I did retrofit newer burton ankle ratchets/ladders onto the binding – but the straps and rest are all blaze.

    Maybe a little stiffer would help? Its certainly not hurting me though. I don’t ever really hear any no boarders complain that they need a stiffer binding to get on either 🙂

    Can’t comment on the new version blaze/burners though never ridden them.

    Disclaimer: I’m not a park rider. My shirts don’t cover my knees.

    in reply to: 2013-2014 new gear #663994
    classicauto
    Participant

    @wasatchfreeride84093 wrote:

    @classicauto wrote:

    Thats pretty genius

    grivel did that too I think< sorry I couldn't find a link

    http://www.backcountry.com/grivel-steel-blade-shovel

    That?

    in reply to: 2013-2014 new gear #663985
    classicauto
    Participant

    Thats pretty genius

    in reply to: Where to buyt LT pin in Hokkaido #665110
    classicauto
    Participant

    Going to guess that any of the dealers listed on sparks web page probably have one:

    http://www.sparkrandd.com/dealers/asia/japan/

    in reply to: Wide Splitboards. Above 26.2 Waist #664760
    classicauto
    Participant

    @PedroDelfuego wrote:

    I am beginning to feel that rocker is more of a intermediate rider technology/gimmick. I think that sufficient float can be achieved with good taper, flex and nose profile. This would get you the float you want, but not at the loss of effective edge length and contact. I have always selected boards with lots of effective edge, and my new rocker board seem strange at high speeds. I think with rocker boards you should actually size up, rather than size down. Rocker seems great at low speed on powder, but at high speeds your life depends on you effective edge and edge hold (literally!).

    Interesting topic going on.

    I would tend to disagree on this a bit as far as rocker being gimmicky…I think there are a few ways to skin the cat when it comes to float, and rocker is a way to do it for sure. The resulting ride is different when you don’t need the float on any design, rocker, taper etc. and what you choose to use to gain the float you’re after largely depends on how you can deal with its resulting charateristics.

    In my case I shy away from taper boards due to boot size and riding stance, my back foot is always more centered and any hard pack I encounter with a taper my backfoot is always more booted out than my front – very sketchy. So for my float needs I choose more help from a little nose rocker. A furberg is the only taper board I think might fit me.

    Maybe its just because I like a little rocker that I think its acceptable lol

    in reply to: first time out! – a few basic questions #664599
    classicauto
    Participant

    Another tip for skins in the field for quick yo yo laps is rolling them up….I would NOT store the skins like this, but rolling them up individually is quick to do, even quicker to unfold (literally just toss them and hang onto the tip) and makes for quick transitions. But don’t store them like that or the hair might bond to the glue.

    in reply to: Heli Assisted Touring – Canuck Splitfest 2013 #664475
    classicauto
    Participant

    looks like nice pow!

    I’m surprised at the conditions you flew in! Looked rough when they were pulling it out of the hanger lol

    fine work

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 141 total)