Forums Splitboard Talk Forum Splitboard Meccas?
Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #615365
    split.therapy
    455 Posts

    @TEX wrote:

    What about Steve Koch ? Does he split or bootpack?

    Stephen does both. Pretty much everyone (splitters) does both. Splitters bootpack up Glory and skin on the south side of the Pass, other areas around both valleys and in the park.

    He is only one person.

    #615366
    shredhead
    34 Posts

    Definately not AK. Sux here, don’t come here.

    #615367
    boardrider247
    61 Posts

    @Nikon wrote:

    I would say anywhere but New Hampshire……..

    Or Minnesota

    #615368
    bcrider
    4150 Posts

    @shredhead wrote:

    Definately not AK. Sux here, don’t come here.

    Unless of course we want to come up to the heli camp and pay you $900 a day to be our guide. 😉

    #615369
    shredhead
    34 Posts

    Pay me $900? I wish!

    #615370
    bcrider
    4150 Posts

    Yeah I know you the heli service gets most of the kitty but it was more dramatic to act like you did. 🙂

    I’ve been to AK for heli-time twice back in the day and would love to go back. Maybe someday!

    #615371
    refried
    93 Posts

    @Hyakbc wrote:

    Baker is a shred mecca of course and may be on its way to becoming a split mecca, I counted over a dozen splitters in the upper lot yesterday, the most I’ve seen in one place in Washington. It could have been the bluebird and pow that pulled em out of the woodwork. Paradise at Mt. Rainier might deserve a mention.

    I’ve seen a lot more splitters around Baker in the last year or so. When I first built my board I think I was called a telemarker everytime I passed someone bootpacking thier way up, then I’d have to spend 10 minutes explaining what it was and how it works.

    #615372
    Killclimbz
    1165 Posts

    @luca_brasi wrote:

    Berthoud Pass is certainly everything that Killclimz says it is.

    However, Berthoud Pass is nothing new. Everyone knows about it. Hundreds of articles have been written about it.

    Nothing against Berthoud, but its hard to consider it a “splitters mecca” when plenty of snowboarders bootpack, and even the splitboarders thumb rides to the top.

    I’d like to see something more remote. Someplace that no snowboarder would dare bootpack. A total backcountry excursion. Rocky Mountain National Park–major summer tourist destination that is devoid of anyone but purists in the winter, it contain one of the the largest concentration of the incredible lines, accessible trails, and gorgeous winter camping around.

    I agree that Bert is nothing new. That is why it’s a mecca. I don’t think anything that you would call a mecca is going to be surprise. I certainly haven’t seen anything listed here.

    RMP is killer, has great lines, and all. But it is not a “mecca” by any stretch. I think it would make for a great article for “off the beaten” path places. Several of those I can think of in Colorado. Too many in fact…

    #615373
    bcrider
    4150 Posts

    Thanks for taking the time to write that Kill. You nailed it and we are on the same page! :thatrocks:

    Adam, I hear where you’re coming from but as kill said the goal of the article isn’t to just cover cool places for splitting but to cover meccas for splitting.

    • [as n. ] ( a Mecca) a place that attracts people of a particular group or with a particular interest

    If the journal sticks around it would cool to write about the lesser known places in the future.

    #615374
    ale_capone
    864 Posts

    There is only one mecca, IMO having ten meccas dilutes the meaning.

    Where that mecca is, I have no idea. I have always thought of teton pass as my personal mecca.

    #615375
    wasatch surf
    979 Posts

    @ale_capone wrote:

    There is only one mecca, IMO having ten meccas dilutes the meaning.

    Where that mecca is, I have no idea. I have always thought of teton pass as my personal mecca.

    I agree. Splitboarders ride the mountain different than skiers and I think that should factor into picking this location. I can’t remember what movie it is on but it is said that the snowboard were invented for fun and no other reason. Because of that we look at the mountain as a giant terrain park; and I don’t necessarily mean launching 80 feet off of a steep spine in AK, but little features that most skiers pass up. I think that this “mecca” should have some of the following criteria:

    1. A lot of vert (more vert=longer runs= less transitions)
    2. Type of terrain
    3. Access (maybe i’m a kind of a purist but i think it should have access without any snowmobile or heli assistance)
    4. Season length

    Where this mecca lies I don’t know either. I have my own personal mecca and i’m not telling anyone where it is 😉

    #615376
    fustercluck
    668 Posts

    @wasatch surf wrote:

    @ale_capone wrote:

    There is only one mecca, IMO having ten meccas dilutes the meaning.

    Where that mecca is, I have no idea. I have always thought of teton pass as my personal mecca.

    I agree. Splitboarders ride the mountain different than skiers and I think that should factor into picking this location. I can’t remember what movie it is on but it is said that the snowboard were invented for fun and no other reason. Because of that we look at the mountain as a giant terrain park; and I don’t necessarily mean launching 80 feet off of a steep spine in AK, but little features that most skiers pass up. I think that this “mecca” should have some of the following criteria:

    1. A lot of vert (more vert=longer runs= less transitions)
    2. Type of terrain
    3. Access (maybe i’m a kind of a purist but i think it should have access without any snowmobile or heli assistance)
    4. Season length

    Where this mecca lies I don’t know either. I have my own personal mecca and i’m not telling anyone where it is 😉

    Well, if this is true, then I think we rode Mecca last week, BCR. It certainly fits all the criteria. Although Japan may be stepping it up, judging from some of the TRs I’ve seen.

    #615377
    SpeedyManiac
    89 Posts

    @wasatch surf wrote:

    @ale_capone wrote:

    There is only one mecca, IMO having ten meccas dilutes the meaning.

    Where that mecca is, I have no idea. I have always thought of teton pass as my personal mecca.

    I agree. Splitboarders ride the mountain different than skiers and I think that should factor into picking this location. I can’t remember what movie it is on but it is said that the snowboard were invented for fun and no other reason. Because of that we look at the mountain as a giant terrain park; and I don’t necessarily mean launching 80 feet off of a steep spine in AK, but little features that most skiers pass up. I think that this “mecca” should have some of the following criteria:

    1. A lot of vert (more vert=longer runs= less transitions)
    2. Type of terrain
    3. Access (maybe i’m a kind of a purist but i think it should have access without any snowmobile or heli assistance)
    4. Season length

    Where this mecca lies I don’t know either. I have my own personal mecca and i’m not telling anyone where it is 😉

    I think you just described Roger’s Pass. Though it is a ski mountaineering mecca too. Big vert (longest runs are up around 7000′ vertical), variety of terrain (pillows, trees, alpine glaciers, couloirs, big mountain, spines, etc), long season and huge snowfall.

    #615378
    wasatch surf
    979 Posts

    it’s funny as i was typing that pictures of rogers pass came to mind. I have yet to go up there but i really really want to :drool: .

    #615379
    Killclimbz
    1165 Posts

    Well if you are talking top ten “Meccas” I would have to think that Rogers Pass probably tops the list. That place just looks out of control crazy good.

    #615381
    sketchyT
    280 Posts

    Maybe the article should be “In search of the splitboarding mecca” That way you don’t actually have to choose one place. You present all of the suggestions mentioned and let the reader make the decesion.

    Yes, the Pac NW needs to be in here somewhere.

    #615380
    bcrider
    4150 Posts

    Not a bad suggestion sketchy. So instead of a top 10 list just a piece about meccas in general. I kinda like the because it doesn’t give the perception of a “winner”.

    #615382
    dude_reino
    467 Posts

    @Killclimbz wrote:

    @luca_brasi wrote:

    Berthoud Pass is certainly everything that Killclimz says it is.

    However, Berthoud Pass is nothing new. Everyone knows about it. Hundreds of articles have been written about it.

    Nothing against Berthoud, but its hard to consider it a “splitters mecca” when plenty of snowboarders bootpack, and even the splitboarders thumb rides to the top.

    I’d like to see something more remote. Someplace that no snowboarder would dare bootpack. A total backcountry excursion. Rocky Mountain National Park–major summer tourist destination that is devoid of anyone but purists in the winter, it contain one of the the largest concentration of the incredible lines, accessible trails, and gorgeous winter camping around.

    I agree that Bert is nothing new. That is why it’s a mecca. I don’t think anything that you would call a mecca is going to be surprise. I certainly haven’t seen anything listed here.

    RMP is killer, has great lines, and all. But it is not a “mecca” by any stretch. I think it would make for a great article for “off the beaten” path places. Several of those I can think of in Colorado. Too many in fact…

    Gotcha. I guess Berthoud fits the bill.

    Although I’m hard pressed to consider anything around CO a splittboarders mecca. The reaction I get from people makes me think that the sport and technology are still relatively unknown to the mainstream around here.

    If there is only ONE “Mecca”, then based on the traffic on this website I’d say its probably California. But then again, I’ve met a few splitters up in Aspen that have never even heard of this website, so its all relative.

    #615383
    Taft
    287 Posts

    The Mecca cliché has been done to death. It’s basically a journalistic cop out. It’s not that places like Rogers will not, or does not live up to the hype. But there must be 1000’s of guide books, articles and blogs about it.

    I’d be way more interested in an article. Or more likely and issue that focused on areas and what makes them unique. Keeping it to my local, you could do this one of two ways. You could have a wide area, say the Columbia, which would take in several mountain ranges and towns, or you could stick to a specific mountain range, in this case the Selkirk’s, deal with what make that range unique.

    You could play this out with touching on what the core local get up to, the access, history… not so much a 411 on how to get there and what to ride, but a broader stroke of what make that region tick.

    My 2c anyhow.

    #615384
    vtbackcountry
    440 Posts

    i’m thinking n. american split touring areas should be judged like the storm rider guide (surfing) does. ratings given for specific values (ease of access, snow quality, crowded vs empty, closest airport, etc. i’ve always loved the way those guides are layed out. anyone else??

    obviously UT and CA are the split meccas, but so many others areas offer TONS of access and fun.

    if you nominate CO, i vote SW San Juans near creede or wolf creek for obvious reasons. problem is, it’s WAY hard to get there easily. still, few splitters.

    i also nominate AK – turnagain/tincan, hatchers or thompson, again for obvious reasons. again, few splitters

    baker, rogers, and tetons make sense for sure.

Viewing 20 posts - 21 through 40 (of 52 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.