Forums Split Partners Wanted Northern Vermont rider wanted
Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #592176
    earthsurfing
    144 Posts

    Welcome, Matt.

    There’s some really good lines from Bolton down the other side that end up at the Trapp Family lodge more or less… ever explore those?

    #592177
    matt_vt
    7 Posts

    earthsurfer –

    Most of my winter exploring has been south of BV resort on snowshoes. I have shoe’d the Woodward Trail down to Little River state park – stopping to yo-yo a few sessions, hiked around the vast trail near the Timberline lot and rode the frozen creeks in that area. I have hiked up to Bryant cabin and along to the LT, south to Buchanan shelter and back down the CC trails to the resort. The summit of Bolton Mountain is about as far north as I have been.

    One trip I would like to attempt is to go up to the LT from BV Resort lot via Bryant / Raven’s Wind and go north on the LT all day , ending up on the summit of Mansfield. Lots of options since there are a number of shelters on the way. Could be a 2+ day trip depending on the lines that were found on the way.

    Anyways, I have had my eye on splitting for awhile but could never afford the equip, it is a pretty big investment. I was fortunate to win a photography/design contest sponsored by Burton Snowboards and the prize was any Burton snowboard. I chose the s-series and Burton was cool about it and threw in the Voile interface and Tractor skins. I have skied for years so I don’t think skinning will be an issue and am in decent shape. This Sat will be my first ascent ever on a split – the plan is to do the Teardrop early Sat with a couple friends that will be on touring/tele ski set-ups.

    Anything you can tell me about lines that are accessible from the Catamount / Trapp trail would be appreciated. I know there is some sessionable terrain up there – just need to get the time to explore it.

    Anyway – my house makes for a good launching pad for any Bolton backcountry excursions. I am looking forward to shedding the snowshoes!

    #592178
    surfsnowywaves
    60 Posts

    @matt_vt wrote:

    I was fortunate to win a photography/design contest sponsored by Burton Snowboards and the prize was any Burton snowboard. I chose the s-series and Burton was cool about it and threw in the Voile interface and Tractor skins. I have skied for years so I don’t think skinning will be an issue and am in decent shape.

    Anything you can tell me about lines that are accessible from the Catamount / Trapp trail would be appreciated. I know there is some sessionable terrain up there – just need to get the time to explore it.

    Amazing luck…or should I say talent? Fkna that Burton stepped up to the plate and hooked you up full-on.

    I try to make it out along the Catamount Trail a bunch, there’s a lot of good stuff to be had out there. I won’t really be able to this winter until mid-February, but when the time comes, I’ll be in touch.

    #592179
    matt_vt
    7 Posts

    So last night I skinned to the top of Timberline and tried some pretty steep sections where they have been making snow. Some icy whalebacks caused me to fall a couple of times. I probably looked pretty sad. I used muscles skinning that I didn’t know I had. I am going to head up the catamount trail this weekend on Sat morning early and check some of that out. I don’t really like the high-rise binding feeling on the descent. I can see how Sparks Fuse binders will be in my future once I improve to appreciate them.

    #592172
    BigJay
    342 Posts

    @matt_vt wrote:

    So last night I skinned to the top of Timberline and tried some pretty steep sections where they have been making snow. Some icy whalebacks caused me to fall a couple of times. I probably looked pretty sad. I used muscles skinning that I didn’t know I had. I am going to head up the catamount trail this weekend on Sat morning early and check some of that out. I don’t really like the high-rise binding feeling on the descent. I can see how Sparks Fuse binders will be in my future once I improve to appreciate them.

    Congrats on the first splitty outting! You’ll discover muscles you never knew you had! And the cycle repeats itself every new snow season!

    And by the way, once you go to Sparks, you’ll toss the plates away and never look back! It has the be the best investment i made for snowboarding in a while!

    #592180
    mergs
    100 Posts

    @bigjay wrote:

    And by the way, once you go to Sparks, you’ll toss the plates away and never look back! It has the be the best investment i made for snowboarding in a while!

    Hey BigJay, did you find it a significantly lighter setup? Or were they just more responsive than the plates. I’m running Burton Mission bindings now and I am thinking of pulling the ripcord on the new Sparks.

    On another note, I’m probably heading up this weekend, possibly into next week if conditions warrant a split tour somewhere. Unf, it doesn’t *look* like there’s been a dumo iof snow for a while, but I’ve only been have checking weather the past 2 weeks. How’s snow in the notch, camels hump, etc. holding up? Any beta appreciated.

    #592181
    BigJay
    342 Posts

    @mergs wrote:

    Hey BigJay, did you find it a significantly lighter setup? Or were they just more responsive than the plates. I’m running Burton Mission bindings now and I am thinking of pulling the ripcord on the new Sparks.

    Lighter AND you don’t feel like you’re wearing High Heels… which i don’t like very much…

    #592182
    matt_vt
    7 Posts

    I live at 2000′ and everything above that seems to be holding up nicely. There is about 2-3′ of base. The untouched areas still are holding about 3″ of powder on top, it didn’t get warm (edit) enough to form the “death crust” at the 2000’+ elevations. Last weekend I skinned to the radio tower on Ricker peak and went off the backside into the basin near Waterbury Reservoir. It was about a 1.5-2 mile descent and it was great. Snow below 1200′ is probably a bit choppy this weekend. I say you are definitely good to do a trip this weekend and if you get the chance, take it – since they are calling for high-elevation rain Monday. Let me know if you want someone to tag along, I don’t have anyone to split with yet in VT. I can go Saturday or Sunday.

    #592183
    mergs
    100 Posts

    @matt_vt wrote:

    I live at 2000′ and everything above that seems to be holding up nicely. There is about 2-3′ of base. The untouched areas still are holding about 3″ of powder on top, it didn’t get warm (edit) enough to form the “death crust” at the 2000’+ elevations. Last weekend I skinned to the radio tower on Ricker peak and went off the backside into the basin near Waterbury Reservoir. It was about a 1.5-2 mile descent and it was great. Snow below 1200′ is probably a bit choppy this weekend. I say you are definitely good to do a trip this weekend and if you get the chance, take it – since they are calling for high-elevation rain Monday. Let me know if you want someone to tag along, I don’t have anyone to split with yet in VT. I can go Saturday or Sunday.

    Cool, thanks for that, esp. the elevations… that really helps.

    Edit: we’re staying local after all. Work… 🙁

    #592184
    ShredTheEast
    4 Posts

    I hit Camel’s Hump/Bald Peak on Sunday and it was awesome. Plenty of great snow.

    I am planning to go again Weds morning if anyone is interested. Drop me a line.

    #592185
    Dan9
    44 Posts

    Big Jay you know I’ll get out there eventually. I got my b-day split kit and skins today, and prepped my deck to cut it. going super budget because I didn’t plan to split this season — but after going out on slowshoes again, I remember why I wanted to split.

    Hope to get this rig set up ASAP, in the middle of mad work until early April but, I have a feeling the season will last for awhile — I usually get fairly easy turns somewhere ior other just hiking end of May anyway.

    I’ll throw some pics up when my deck is cut,

    Dan

    #592186
    BigJay
    342 Posts

    @dan9 wrote:

    BigJay you know I’ll get out there eventually. I got my b-day split kit and skins today, and prepped my deck to cut it. going super budget because I didn’t plan to split this season — but after going out on slowshoes again, I remember why I wanted to split.

    Nice to see you on here! Tons of info, tons of input from riders who can guide you with pretty much anything! Many DIY vids and a very good one about splitting a board… look it up!

    Cheers!

    #592187
    Dan9
    44 Posts

    …and just in time for the mega snow of the season! Woohoo!

    #592188
    BigJay
    342 Posts

    @dan9 wrote:

    …and just in time for the mega snow of the season! Woohoo!

    oooooooooooh yeah!

    Looks like i’m heading for the mountain tonight… Depends on what time we get there… might go for some night riding as well… Might get up extra early for a dawn patrol…. We’ll see! Phone has been rigging all morning…

Viewing 14 posts - 21 through 34 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.