Forums DIY and Mods K2 Temptation – Liwe 158 (insert blocks no base patching)
Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #574786
    chrisNZ
    304 Posts

    My soon to be 2nd diy split. K2 Temptation – Liwe 158. Hopefully this board will work well, having carbon layup it should stay stiff after spliting. Using skill saw and inlay metal edges for NZs variable conditions. Seasons are changing here! cant wait. Will post updates as i go.

    this took a while finally started

    Sb3 by Splitboards007, on Flickr


    Sb by Splitboards007, on Flickr

    #639698
    PedroDelfuego
    758 Posts

    @chrisnz wrote:

    having carbon layup it should stay stiff after spliting.

    Actually quite the opposite can happen! Carbon fiber is cured under tension, and cutting it can release the tension. This can (not always) cause the carbon fiber to rebound (pull back together or lose its strength) and result in shape change. This happen to me on my 1st split cut, (my board had a full carbon topsheet) and the camber tripled after the cut. You mileage may vary, but that is just my :twocents:

    #639699
    chrisNZ
    304 Posts

    @pedrodelfuego wrote:

    @chrisnz wrote:

    having carbon layup it should stay stiff after spliting.

    Actually quite the opposite can happen! Carbon fiber is cured under tension, and cutting it can release the tension. This can (not always) cause the carbon fiber to rebound (pull back together or lose its strength) and result in shape change. This happen to me on my 1st split cut, (my board had a full carbon topsheet) and the camber tripled after the cut. You mileage may vary, but that is just my :twocents:

    Yeah i am a little worried about this.i dnt think it has any carbon forks… I read that it has carbon in tip and tail and sme stringers running length wise, Hopefully it holds its shape. Was cheap anyway havnt got much to lose!

    #639700
    chrisNZ
    304 Posts

    Finished kinda, has no holes but unsure of how strong it is. Crude destruction testing i got around 800lb per insert. +-80% haha

    leiw by Splitboards007, on Flickr
    Suit case clips! and some other experimental stuff. Kinda to small for me. Worked that out once i finished.

    #639701
    chrisNZ
    304 Posts

    Still havnt ripped out any inserts. and mostly riding hardpack and ice. Would recommend to any one thinking of diy. No base holes is sweet!
    -Router a slot wider than the tnuts (25-30mm ~1in) and i went with 3 inserts so (90mm 4in long) from the top down to the bottom glass layer in the board.
    -Cut a block in the shape of the hole routed. i used ply for strength. And fit was tight. building a jig here will help.
    -Make sure tnuts sit flush with bottom so router/ forstner holes
    -epoxy and clamp in place
    – add a final layer of epoxy and sand smooth

    i think your more likely to snap a board than pull the inserts, guess it really needs 50days+ to confirm its solid so take it as is.

Viewing 5 posts - 1 through 5 (of 5 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.