Forums Boots Hardboots: Scarpa Matrix
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #567668
    affix snow
    521 Posts

    So I gots me some cheap Scarpa Matrix AT boots…

    1st off…this was the 1st time riding in HARD BOOTS. I was on my split at a resort. These boots were very comfy and rode great. I used the walk mode to ride in and liked it over ski mode. I dnt have other AT boots to compare them to, but i love the way scarpa fits me….(also have Scarpa Tele boots…)

    Now….Hard boots in general….

    MY VOTE: F*CK YEAH!!!! Hardboots KICK A$$!

    All these “Not surfy” or “Not really snowboarding” comments dont make sense to me. I had NO problem riding in hardboots. I didnt really have to adjust my style at all. In fact, i ran the same angles as my strap bindings ( i do have a smaller foot so this might not work for everyone) I just charged it and the boots delivered. I could ride switch with no problem and air it out like i was in softboots. NOW, did i notice i was riding in an AT boot…of course. But was it that much different. NO. I thought they totally kicked a$$ and cant wait to get them in the Backcountry. Will i replace my softboots completely? Absolutely NOT. My softboots will still have a large place in the quiver, but they have a new pal to get stinky with.

    ONLY issue, I NEED CANTS. I got alot of uncomfortable rub on my outer heels w/out them. Im sure when i get them (DJ BARNEY HELP?) it will correct the problem….

    #587748
    Spencer
    128 Posts

    At last someone to do the comparisions I’m to cheap tp try. ANd an eastener even.

    Now you’ve been in the Nuptse’s which are simiar to my bc combo of pmb’s with tall liners. So A couple of questions for someone unwilling to make the switch:

    what size are yoyu feet?

    What is the sole length of the matrix’?

    Waist width of you board?

    Stance angles?

    Stance width?

    YOur age?

    Any knee or ankle injuries or problems?

    Are you a skier also?

    Do you see yourself trying the glades or say, right gully at Tucks in the hardboots?

    I tried hardboots a while ago and found them all power and no feel, was that you experience?

    Thanks, Spencer

    #587749
    affix snow
    521 Posts

    @spencer wrote:

    At last someone to do the comparisions I’m to cheap tp try. ANd an eastener even.

    Now you’ve been in the Nuptse’s which are simiar to my bc combo of pmb’s with tall liners. So A couple of questions for someone unwilling to make the switch:

    what size are yoyu feet? 9

    What is the sole length of the matrix’? ????

    Waist width of you board? 25+ ?

    Stance angles? 20 front 10 rear?

    Stance width? ????

    YOur age? 26

    Any knee or ankle injuries or problems? Rebuilt right knee.

    Are you a skier also? Telemark

    Do you see yourself trying the glades or say, right gully at Tucks in the hardboots? I see riding them in all BC conditions…I Got them with Tux in mind.

    I tried hardboots a while ago and found them all power and no feel, was that you experience? Lots of feel i thought…

    Thanks, Spencer

    Hope that helps….

    #587750
    ssattler
    77 Posts

    I agree, the Scarpa Matrix are SWEET hardboots.

    I’ve got three BC tours on mine, and I could not be happier.

    Been riding them with low angles, in ‘walk’ mode, but buckled up pretty tight.

    They hook up real nice with the Bomber split bindings, no problems there.

    I’m very happy with em.

    Scott

    #587751
    Jon Dahl
    384 Posts

    Hey, affix, I think that your heel bails are upside down in that picture! You need to reverse them so the flat area matches the shelf area on your boots. Otherwise, good lookin’ boots. I may have to try some out some day.

    #587752
    affix snow
    521 Posts

    @jon Dahl wrote:

    Hey, affix, I think that your heel bails are upside down in that picture! You need to reverse them so the flat area matches the shelf area on your boots. Otherwise, good lookin’ boots. I may have to try some out some day.

    Really? I dont think so….its still the curved part of the bail around the heel….the curved part would not fit in the straight slot on the underside….

    AM i really missing somehting here?

    QUESTION:

    Am i gettting pain in the oustide facing part of both feet, above my arches cause i dont have cants?

    #587753
    Jon Dahl
    384 Posts

    Heel bails definetly upside down. I doubt that your foot pain is from lack of cants, though it is possible. Try narrowering up your stance a little and see if it helps, if it does, cants could help, but I’m thinking a liner issue is the root cause.

    #587754
    Will
    376 Posts

    So there’s much chattering about how going with the AT setup will save weight over soft boot setup. If you have access to a scale I’d be curious to see how the at boot + binder + slider track compares with your soft boot + strap binder + slider track, and maybe the weight of these individual components.

    The other thing I noticed from your post is that you’re like “These AT’s kick ass and aren’t much different than my strap setup” followed by “damn my feet hurt maybe I need cant plates”. That doesn’t sound quite so kick ass. Did you have foot rub pain immediately or did it take a few runs? On human powered days I strive for four runs so maybe the rub won’t be as much of an issue away from the resort since you aren’t doing as much snowboarding.

    I did a cabin trip this weekend and was stoked to go with a really light pack, I didn’t bring an alternate pair of footwear, just hung out in my soft boots outside, liners when I was inside. Do you think these boots are comfy enough to hang out in camp with? I suppose the liners would be about equivalent.

    #587755
    affix snow
    521 Posts

    @will wrote:

    The other thing I noticed from your post is that you’re like “These AT’s kick ass and aren’t much different than my strap setup” followed by “damn my feet hurt maybe I need cant plates”. That doesn’t sound quite so kick ass. Did you have foot rub pain immediately or did it take a few runs? On human powered days I strive for four runs so maybe the rub won’t be as much of an issue away from the resort since you aren’t doing as much snowboarding.

    I did a cabin trip this weekend and was stoked to go with a really light pack, I didn’t bring an alternate pair of footwear, just hung out in my soft boots outside, liners when I was inside. Do you think these boots are comfy enough to hang out in camp with? I suppose the liners would be about equivalent.

    Arent much different from my soft-setup concerning HOW THEY RIDE. The foot hurt thing is after riding the resort alot……But i do think it is a Liner issue now….my fault when i thrmofitted them.

    I suppose you could “chill” in these boots. Easy in easy out.

    #587756
    affix snow
    521 Posts

    I totaly see now that the bails are upside down….thanx JON!

    #587757
    bcrider
    4149 Posts

    So can we call you a fruitbooter now? 😉 😀

    Ps. Any pics to share showing us “kick assâ€Â

    #587758
    affix snow
    521 Posts
    bcrider wrote:
    Ps. Any pics to share showing us “kick assâ€Â
    #587759
    bcrider
    4149 Posts

    Ahh be more optimistic bro! You still have the corn season at Tucks right? 🙂
    Not everyone can ride blower pow in April. :mrgreen:

    Re the Matrix, I believe greg from jackson uses this same boot. From what I saw of it at splitfest the buckle placement looked to be in the right spots (unklike my Lowa boots).

    #587760
    affix snow
    521 Posts

    @bcrider wrote:

    Ahh be more optimistic bro! You still have the corn season at Tucks right? 🙂
    Not everyone can ride blower pow in April. :mrgreen:

    Re the Matrix, I believe greg from jackson uses this same boot. From what I saw of it at splitfest the buckle placement looked to be in the right spots (unklike my Lowa boots).

    YUP…we got Tucks for sure! I wont be taking the split/hardboots unless there is skinable snow, and at this rate there will be no snow until you climb….thus, the split/scarpa’s will be put aside for the solid and the nuptse’s…….

    The Buckles felt absolutley great on those boots!

    #587761
    affix snow
    521 Posts

    OKAY. So ive got quite a bit more days in on these boots.

    FINAL EVAL:

    1) Im hooked. Plan on Dynafitting my board for next season.
    2) Boots are super comfy. (i re-thermoed them and have had no problems.)
    3) Skin amazing. The power and edge hold are great.
    4) Ride is great. I canted the pucks and that seemeed to solve all the foot pain i was having.

    A Pic BCR?

    #587762
    bcrider
    4149 Posts

    That’s awesome to hear that the boots and bindings are working so well for you affix! At the end of the day what works best for the user (not the user’s friends) is what matters the most. :thatrocks:

    Re the picture you posted.

    At the risk of getting flamed (but not the risk of damaging our friendship), I will say that the particular picture displays the traits of hardbooting that I would expect from someone using them. The stance is very upright and rigid with the knees far a part. Aesthetically speaking, I like a lower, more surf-like stance.

    It’s all good though and again please don’t take MY little opinion too strong. 🙂

    #587763
    affix snow
    521 Posts

    @bcrider wrote:

    Re the picture you posted.

    At the risk of getting flamed (but not the risk of damaging our friendship), I will say that the particular picture displays the traits of hardbooting that I would expect from someone using them. The stance is very upright and rigid with the knees far a part. Aesthetically speaking, I like a lower, more surf-like stance.

    It’s all good though and again please don’t take MY little opinion too strong. 🙂

    No Worries! That pic does show me a lil upright…..He actually took it as i started off so im a lil wabbly. Believe me, with that snow/slope I was totally surfin’ it. That actually sealed the deal for me….:)

    The knees however aren’t that far apart….My Stance is actually a bit narrower than in softboots and i canted the pucks 3 degrees so my knees are bent in alot like in softboots…..

    Anyway, not trying to convert here. I will STILL ride soft boots….how bout this picture? Low enough?
    😀

    #587764
    Will
    376 Posts

    One advantage I can think of for the hardboots is kicking steps in really hard snow, especially with the crampons on. My skiing amigos were able to kick in alot easier than I was while hiking frozen glaciers early in the morning. I think summer glacier missions are the only time I would put this to use, luckily the rest of the year I’m out there to hit the snow that’s soft all day long.

    I guess the alternative approach is to always invite a skier or hardbooter or two along on summer missions so they can kick steps for ya 😉

    #587765
    bcrider
    4149 Posts

    @affix snow wrote:

    ….how bout this picture? Low enough?
    😀

    way better! 😀

    #587766
    HammBone
    17 Posts

    I purchased a new par of Matrix a few weeks ago. They were last years model, so I was able to get a 50% discount.

    I used them once last week on a short run, and they felt great. Skinning felt like a dream. I will have to get used to the increased edge control while in ride mode, but I think that it will be a good boot for me.

    Do any of the other Matrix users, or hard booters, notice a huge increase in edge control when making the switch over to hard boot?

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 34 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.