Forums DIY and Mods DIY Split vs DIY mtn approach?
Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)
  • Author
    Posts
  • #580111
    TLN
    47 Posts

    Hi all.

    Debating on what to do for upcoming winter season.
    I got some solid boards, and I want to join a splitboarders crowd. Don’t want to drop a lot of money though 🙂

    The ideas:
    1. DIY split my board. Easy, since I got one pretty stiff board to cut, but I won’t be able to ride my swallowtails 😥
    2. DIY Mtn approach. Since that company sells hinges, I can get a hunters ski(super-cheap), cut it, add all the stuff and ready to go. So I can ride all the boards, and still have them uncut.

    What would you choose?
    Have anyone tried to do that DIY MTN Approach analogue?

    #677326
    HansGLudwig
    601 Posts

    Well this is a splitboard forum, so … we’re pretty biased.
    I have had experience with approach skis; not as slick as the MA system, but you’re still carrying your board on the up (whacking trees) and the skis on the down. I found it less fun than splitting. Further with splits, it’s nice to have crampons in your bag, just in case. I know of no hunting ski crampons.

    Re: DIY – It’s rad. You love your board more. And you can do it fairly inexpensively. More modern systems (e.g. Tesla, Karakoram, Phantom) hold the board better so you hardly notice the difference.

    FWIW – You can totally split a swallowtail. I think Snurfer and Firstlight are swallowtail devotees and have experience splitting their own.
    ******edit*******
    Here’s the thread I was looking for!
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15778&start=13

    Be sure to bookmark Splitboard.com's Recent Activity page...
    http://splitboard.com/activity-2/

    #677327
    Snurfer
    1448 Posts

    Hans is correct, you can split your own swally and there are some fine factory boards to be had as well – Voile’s design is spot on and well priced.

    If you are a swallowtail purist I presume you have access to decent powder snow at the resort – If so, it’s hard to imagine you trying splitting and then deciding to give it up and go back to the lift lines and jacked snow. Its really the way the swally was conceived in the first place, hiking to uncut bliss.

    Although I took the safe route and started splitting on a conventional ‘skateboard’ style deck I’ve been all in from day one and ride the swally or hybrids always. I only have one un-split swallowtail at this point – mostly because its very rare and perhaps a bit on the heavy side for touring.

    By far the biggest commitment is the cost of the associated safety gear and knowledge, but unlike a season pass it doesn’t expire when the lifts stop.

    Always stoked to hear from a fellow kook (aka swallowtail fanatic) tell us what decks you have

    Cheers!

    Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

    #677328
    firstlight
    721 Posts

    :rock: Swallows :rock:

    Adam West

    www.firstlightsurfboards.com.au
    www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au
    www.splitfest.com.au
    www.snowsafety.com.au
    www.mrbc.com.au
    www.backcountryglobal.com
    www.alpinefirstaid.com.au

    #677329
    aksltxlt
    621 Posts

    When using the Mnt appraoch system, make sure to bring extra hinges, hardware and tools. Change out the hinges at home, cause you will be changing them in the field….

    #677330
    TLN
    47 Posts

    @hansgludwig wrote:

    FWIW – You can totally split a swallowtail. I think Snurfer and Firstlight are swallowtail devotees and have experience splitting their own.
    ******edit*******
    Here’s the thread I was looking for!
    viewtopic.php?f=9&t=15778&start=13

    You can see my posts in that topic 🙂 I’ve read it before, but still cannot pull a trigger and split my own board. Neither me, nor my friends did it before.

    @snurfer wrote:

    Hans is correct, you can split your own swally and there are some fine factory boards to be had as well – Voile’s design is spot on and well priced.

    If you are a swallowtail purist I presume you have access to decent powder snow at the resort – If so, it’s hard to imagine you trying splitting and then deciding to give it up and go back to the lift lines and jacked snow. Its really the way the swally was conceived in the first place, hiking to uncut bliss.

    Although I took the safe route and started splitting on a conventional ‘skateboard’ style deck I’ve been all in from day one and ride the swally or hybrids always. I only have one un-split swallowtail at this point – mostly because its very rare and perhaps a bit on the heavy side for touring.

    Always stoked to hear from a fellow kook (aka swallowtail fanatic) tell us what decks you have

    Cheers!

    Well, yep, here’s(Kazakhstan) we have tons of powder and only some guys shredding it.
    I was pretty lucky that I can ride 10+ft pow from lifts, without need in a split. But there’s always better places and they require split.

    At the moment I got this:
    180 Donek Incline
    183 Winterstick
    198 Rossignol Undertaker
    and 180 alpine stick.

    And now I want to get all this stuff to backcountry without paying much 🙂

    If I decide to split a board – I’d cut an Incline. It’s pretty stiff,even for my 210-220 lbs, so it’s a candidate 🙂
    Definately don’t want to split an Undertaker – quite unique board from 2001 and it’s freakin’ great!
    Not sure about Winterstick – it’s not quite unique as Rossi, but pretty rare.

    @aksltxlt wrote:

    When using the Mnt appraoch system, make sure to bring extra hinges, hardware and tools. Change out the hinges at home, cause you will be changing them in the field….

    Well I got an idea of cutting a modern(they shouldn’t be heavy, right?) hunting ski in parts and ordering a mtn approach hinges. MTNapproch comes with plastic one, and I need a metal which are sold as spare.
    Then I need to get a binders, I believe it will work ok with almost any. Find a way to pack in my backpack and finally give it a try.

    My calculations are that MTN DIY will cost me under $300. Yep, I know that’s a quite werid idea, so I’m asking here first 🙂

    #677331
    SplitterX
    104 Posts

    invest in Spark R&D’s and split your own! believe me, i went down the approach ski rout before. don’t waste your time. you don’t need to have all that extra weight on you back while shredding. You can make a great DIY, just go for it. Making your own split it’s a lot of fun

    Fast and smooth

    #677332
    TLN
    47 Posts

    What board should I split first?
    Donek? Since it’s stiff and not as rare as swallows, right?

    #677333
    SplitterX
    104 Posts

    If you can, find a old board you wont care too much about to practice on first? You will deffinetly get better with practice. The Donek would be great. You want a stiff solid board to start off with. There is all kinds of good DIY threads on this site. The “what would i do different thread is probably a good one to check out. Good luck and happyshredding. Show us what you end up with. once you make one split, you will want to make more. I still like making splits and i have made around 20. I get better with each one.

    Fast and smooth

Viewing 9 posts - 1 through 9 (of 9 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.