I just read a post at the T4T forum and there is a great video from early December that shows deep snow in the Left Gully. I am headed there at the end of December just prior to New Year’s. I know most of the Tuckerman’s Ravine headwall is covered in ice and will probably attract a lot of climbers, but snowboarding is really my thing.
Has anyone here had any experience hitting Tux in the pre-season? I have never been there before, and was wondering if anyone had any tips or advice. I am planning to bring my snowshoes as I think skinning will be at a minimum as I ascend the gully.
Thanks! I actually went to the Pinkham Notch visitor center on Sunday and read the avalanche warnings. That was a high danger day. Do you think that either Tux or Huntington will be accessible in January or February, or is it typically high avy danger all winter long?
Hey these Avy reports are extremley isolated areas. These are only small areas directly within Tucks and Huntington. There is an absurd amount of other possabilities to shred that these reports dont even come close to covering. You have to head out with a plan to do your own studies. Otheriwse the trees are as safe as your ability to ride em.
Also we have only had the one real dump which gave a great base and this week of negative temps is solidifying it to practically ice. So with that in mind more snow will dictate what can be ridden and what is still a boneyard of jagged rocks.
I’m always in the kitchen if your in the visitor center. Pop your head in the Deli and say whats up.
Thanks Ben. As a local, do you skin (or bootpack) up there pretty regularly in the winter, or just wait till the end of the season? I live pretty far out but would like to come up a few weekends in Jan and Feb to ride some lines.
Chef, you look like a good conditions resource at Pinkham. I would like to get up to that area before the spring crowds show up. It looks like I missed a good window of opportunity before the January thaw. So at this point it looks like waiting a bit to head up there would be the wiser choice (7 hours away). I will be in the northeast for the next two months so hopefully conditions improve.
6 to 8 inches on 1/16-1/17 and just woke up to about another 5 inches 1/19. With this second dump we should be back in operations. It’s MLK weekend and we are about to get mobbed at Pinkham and Mount Washington Valley so all this fresh snow should get a healthy dose of traffic and pack down into another great base. Avoiding, praying, for no more mid winter thaws were back in business. Also the gulf of slides was amazing this week anyways, post thaw.
my team is now planning for the last weekend in march. we would also like to hit the snowfields off of the summit. Do you think there is still good cover then? does the wind tend to die down in early spring?