Forums Splitboard Talk Forum 2015 Gear Thread
Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 262 total)
  • Author
    HansGLudwig
    601 Posts

Anyone know if that waxless base is removable or integrated into the board itself?
    I hope we all appreciate the waxless base split-pic is on a lift. 😆 :that rocks:

Philip.AK, you stole the words out of my mouth about board profile.

Be sure to bookmark Splitboard.com's Recent Activity page...
    http://splitboard.com/activity-2/

shredgnar
    643 Posts

Jefe009
    675 Posts

@philip.ak wrote:

I’m diggin the fish scale Voile. I kind of wish they had left about an inch along the outside edges without the pattern so that you could skate in tour mode and turn in ride mode without being on the scales. Also, a double camber like a real XC ski would make sense. Any idea what the camber profile is? I have a pair of Rossi BC125 skis with a single camber profile and fish scales and they get pretty crappy traction.

My wife has those same skis and I agree, they suck for trying to get up anything over 15 degrees. The scales are not a substitute for skins, but can be a good solution for long flat approaches where you want to ‘skate’ and not be slowed down by skins. Of course snowboard boots/bindings are not nearly as efficient as ski gear for skate skiing, but whatever, it’s good to see more innovation from skiing making its way over into splitting. A board with scales would be good as a rental, for groups that tour into huts, etc. as those often have long flat approaches. I think it’s a good idea for a certain segment of the market, doesn’t mean I’ll buy one… :thumbsup:

www.splitlife.net

shredgnar
    643 Posts

As I said in the other thread about scales on a split, I think that your ability to travel uphill w/o skins will be balanced out by the amount of drag on the down. You’ll be switching to tour mode on stuff that you might actually have been able to glide out on in board mode with a regular base. In other words, any terrain that you could fishscale up, will be too low angle to glide down on because of the amount of drag created by the scales. Now if you can find certain tours that have really low angle approaches to steep descents, then go for it. It just seems like a novelty piece to me but hey, go ahead, prove me wrong. I can think of a few routes I could use it on, but is it worth the price for a board that’s only good on a few runs? BTW, I hate XC skis so maybe I’m biased. 😉

cometogether
    385 Posts

I look at the fish scales as being a challenge to use uphill but will increase your skinning skills and techniques. And of course the long flat BS roads in and out would be nice especially when they have just enough uphill to make you curse :banghead: I know sidestepping helps up hill but when your tired that sometimes becomes a chore..

I almost cut a skin in half just to see how it would work.. up and down.. :scratch:

Jefe009
    675 Posts

@cometogether wrote:

I almost cut a skin in half just to see how it would work.. up and down.. :scratch:

Someone posted a link on here a few weeks ago about ‘skinny’ skins, where you’d just use a thin strip of skin as an ‘approach’ skin so as not to have to use your fat skins for long flat approaches on snowy roads. Supposedly skiiers in the Wasatch had started doing this for the flat approaches, then only busting out their fat skins for the steep skintracks once they arrived at their objective.

Same idea I guess with the scales… good idea, if you’re often skinning long flat roads.

www.splitlife.net

bcrider
    4150 Posts

Just got this…pics coming next week from the tradeshow…maybe we can get some sooner

For Immediate Release

January 23, 2014 – North Bend WA, USA

Karakoram is stoked to Introduce the PRIME SYSTEM – Splitboarding Responsiveness and Efficiency you’ve only dreamed of. The Prime System is a statement of our brand philosophy to never stop improving.

Building on the strengths of our Active Joining Technology utilized in the Split30, The Prime System takes solid board feel to another level with the SolidRide platform which combines 4 wide preloaded contacts that allow for direct power transfer to your edges while eliminating seam movement for the ultimate in solid board feel and performance.

We have also created Power Link which is an ergonomic activation lever that allows for the ease of getting into ride mode and heel lock down. The improvements do not stop there, we have added Tour Step, an amazing new feature that allows you to step into tour or ride mode with your binding fastened to your boot, both of these new features will significantly cut down your transition and change over times as we know you want to get to pointing that line and schralping that pow!

Just when you thought it could not get any better we have also improved out the climbing system through our new FlipSpeed Risers with Lockdown – no more fumbling with your pole hanldes trying to engage those pesky climbing wires, this system simply allows the user to engage 2 heights of heel risers with their pole baskets alone, again cutting down time and improving efficiency.

Last but not least we have developed the ultimate in convenience and maximizing your bindings, we have developed the Quiver Connector, the ultimate accessory that allows you to take your Prime System Splitboard bindings and mount them on your solid board. Ease of use, lightweight and better than standard binding energy transfer paired with Karakoram Performance.

We will be unveiling the new Prime system at the ISPO and SIA Tradeshows January 2014, for an exclusive look at the new system feel free to stop and visit the us at the Jones Snowboards booth at ISPO or at the Karakoram Booth at the SIA Tradeshow (Booth# 3069).

About Karakoram

Founded in 2008 by Tyler and Bryce Kloster through a desire to combine their careers and follow their passion for the mountains, Karakoram is now a global leader through splitboard and backcountry product innovation. The brand is sold at leading retailers and is distributed to over 20 countries through out the world. Karakoram is nestled in the Cascade Mountains, one of the best proving grounds for developing and testing products in the world, and Karakoram is proud to be US made, with most components and parts being made within 50 miles of its Headquarters in Washington. Innovate. Ride. Explore.

C balke
    74 Posts

Black Diamond JetForce airbag pack. Battery operated, with charges that are supposed to last 10+ days and multiple deployments. Im curious to see how cold temps and other factors will affect the batteries.

Here is some of the 2015 Voile line

firstlight
    721 Posts

Cap again for the voile?
    Or just for the prototypes?

Adam West

www.firstlightsurfboards.com.au
    www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au
    www.splitfest.com.au
    www.snowsafety.com.au
    www.mrbc.com.au
    www.backcountryglobal.com
    www.alpinefirstaid.com.au

whistlermaverick
    312 Posts

^
    ^
    ^
    no shit!

Cap construction?!

@j.memay

bcrider
    4150 Posts

Karakoram Prime Splitboard System press release with pics here. :thumbsup:

http://splitboard.com/index.php/featured/news/361-karakoram-unveils-its-new-prime-splitboard-system

philip.ak
    679 Posts

It’ll be neat once we are past the vaguely worded and peppered-with-market-talk press releases and low res images to have a real explanation, or better yet VIDEO, of exactly WTF “solid ride” and “active joining” and “power link” and “tour step” and “quiver link” and “electric ball massager” actually mean.

Jefe009
    675 Posts

@philip.ak wrote:

It’ll be neat once we are past the vaguely worded and peppered-with-market-talk press releases and low res images to have a real explanation, or better yet VIDEO, of exactly WTF “solid ride” and “active joining” and “power link” and “tour step” and “quiver link” and “electric ball massager” actually mean.

Sign me up for electric ball massage! That’s a bargain at twice the price.

Seriously tho, I’m a Spark guy but those things look light as a feather.

www.splitlife.net

shredgnar
    643 Posts

@whistlermaverick wrote:

^
    ^
    ^
    no shit!

Crap construction?!

FIFY

@philip.ak wrote:

Patience young jedi. These are next years products. They can’t spill the beans all at once, there has to be suspense and drama. But I can pretty much tell what is going on from those pics. They changed the platform slightly, added a new heel risers and what looks like a better lockdown, changed the lever, and added a solid board interface :headbang: I think they explain it pretty well in the release. Can’t wait to check them out.

wjb
    163 Posts

I like the look of the heel risers with the wider support and hopefully they are less prone to collapsing. I wonder if it will work with the split 30’s

BGnight
    1382 Posts

I really wish they would have addressed their touring bracket (they need wider contact points, they wear out, and have way too much slop for touring. More slop than even old Voile brackets)
    I’m also hoping this has a new heel lock down as their old one didn’t work if you had your heelcups adjusted in certain ways (i.e. mine)
    And the heel risers look sorta heavy?…don’t get me wrong, I’m a K-ram guy and huge supporter. I’m just very critical of expensive shit.

Oh and their crampon design was the worst ever. Functionally brilliant but shaped extremely bad (ok after modding them). Total opposite of Spark crampons which are shaped great but have terrible functional attachment. I heard they redesigned them and as I’ve lost mine I need a new pair!

I’m sure these will rock and I’m most likely going to own them next season, but imo, they need a complete overhaul on their touring bracket. It would be so easy too (the redesign, not the cost of doing so)

bcrider
    4150 Posts

@philip.ak wrote:

Karakoram works tirelessly to evolve their products and make the backcountry experience better for splitters, creates a press release to share the news

Splitboard.com puts in 11hrs at the day job and then another 1hr to share the press release within just a couple hours of it being released, goes the extra mile to ask Karakoram for a few better pics then what were included in the press release

Forum member phillip.ak makes a condescending post about lack of details, picture quality, and no video

Such is life :thumpsup:

BGnight
    1382 Posts

@bcrider wrote:

Karakoram works tirelessly to evolve their products and make the backcountry experience better for splitters

Someone wants a free pair 😉

The quiver connector sounds awesome! I’d definitely ride these on a solid. Superlights feel just as good or better than my burton cartels (definitely stiffer and a better highback)

rughty
    620 Posts

Some of us are just impatient and want details instead of being strung along. I’m in the same boat. Perhaps if we had some snow to ride :banghead: x10, we all would be a little more patient about all the kick ass stuff coming in the next year! Until then……

96avs01
    875 Posts

@rughty wrote:

Perhaps if we had some snow to ride :banghead: x10, we all would be a little more patient about all the kick ass stuff coming in the next year! Until then……

THIS, Completely Agree!!!

Winter never even started… :deadhorse:

165 Venture Divide/Spark Frankenburners/La Sportiva Spantiks
    163W Jones Solution/Phantom Alphas/Dynafit TLT5s
    162 Furberg

Chris

Viewing 20 posts - 101 through 120 (of 262 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.