Forums Splitboard Talk Forum 2015 Gear Thread
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 262 total)
  • Author
    C balke
    74 Posts

G3

B Landlord

B branded Magneto with new highback “hitchhiker”

Rosi split

There is also a few New BCA float packs for next year and they look good

PedroDelfuego
    758 Posts

@shredgnar wrote:

Dear god, as if Gopros weren’t annoying enough, now we’ll have these little flying critters following every spoiled kid and bro-bra around on the hill. Time to buy a big fly swatter, or a shotgun.

We are allow to hunt Drones in certain parts of Colorado… :thumpsup:

Jason4
    443 Posts

Am I really the only one who gets the point of the 4 piece Solomon board? It’s not an everyday board, it’s a board for a very specific purpose and it looks like a great addition to the quiver. I might have to see about getting one or something similar, I’d love to have it for spring ski mountaineering days when it’s miserable to walk on wide planks all day long.

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

Chimera Chubby Chaser!!!

The unicorn chaser on steroids.
    Snurfer- you should hit Al up and check one of these out might be to your liking.

Super wide nose, insane taper.

Breadbox gettin loose on a proto Chubby Chaser last week.

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

@Jason4 wrote:

Am I really the only one who gets the point of the 4 piece Solomon board? It’s not an everyday board, it’s a board for a very specific purpose and it looks like a great addition to the quiver. I might have to see about getting one or something similar, I’d love to have it for spring ski mountaineering days when it’s miserable to walk on wide planks all day long.

No you are not, BUT as I stated earlier – I’m a fan of Salomon but this is a shitty design.
    If I were looking for this tool I’d get this one (e.g. skis with more symmetrical sidecut)

http://splitboard.com/talk/viewtopic.php?f=9&t=5662&p=98840&hilit=three+piece#p98840

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

@wasatch surf wrote:

Chimera Chubby Chaser!!!
    Snurfer- you should hit Al up and check one of these out might be to your liking.

Rad! does it come equipped with snow 😉

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

Incalescent
    225 Posts

@Snurfer wrote:

@wasatch surf wrote:

Chimera Chubby Chaser!!!

Rad! does it come equipped with snow 😉

If you ride it in the Selkirks it does.

http://goldenincalescent.blogspot.com/

rughty
    620 Posts

@cometogether wrote:

nice catalog !

what bindings is he using on the last page of the catalog? hes in tour mode and I don’t recognize the baseplate as anything I’ve seen before….

the new K stuff looks interesting from the picture I received.

Those are the K’s.

Catalog is nice!!!

Zude
    367 Posts

Chubby Chaser 😆

PeRi
    110 Posts

I don’t see the point on doing a 3-parts splitboard if the two halves don’t have a sidecut on both edges, like the design from Phenix!

www.splitboardmag.com

FloImSchnee
    291 Posts

What’s the purpose of an inner sidecut?

Sidehilling grip will be better with a straight edge.

patrick
    13 Posts

@FloImSchnee wrote:

True Story!

cometogether
    385 Posts

SALOMON– we are not skiers and only skiers would find the use for a 3 or 4 :nononno: piece split. I can ski and tour my fat planks just fine. Seems like a waste of energy to spend all that R&D effort and expense ona 3 piece when that market is considerable smaller than the actual splitboard snowboarders out there…

That ROSSI LOOKS SICK- love me some of that- the XV is a sickass board- what lengths did you see on hand? still only the xv they split?

sg- your right I looked at them to quick, the lower part is something he’s using but they contain no plastic like the pics in that setup. Both riser wires face the same direction so there are no clearance issues. They are pretty slick

… if those are the K binders on the last page of the jones catalog we have got some shit to see! cause that is TOTALLY different from my baseplate. I think its a totally reworked heal lockdown and riser system. Spark strait killed it with there setup and the K brothers need to rework that uncooperative heel lockdown setup since I complained to them so many times :banghead: ALL these changes are making splitboarding more excellent! super stoked to check out all these goods! 😆 😆

seriously russman- that pic is like a playboy magazine cover- it looks good from the outside but we need to see more…..

FloImSchnee
    291 Posts

@cometogether wrote:

…and only skiers would find the use for a 3 or 4 :nononno: piece split…

??

bcrider
    4150 Posts

Q. What is the main perceived benefit of a 3-piece splitboard?

A. Better ski touring.

Let’s dissect that…

Better ski touring…what does that mean? Better climbing? Better floatation? Better side-hilling? Better travel over rolling terrain?

It’s probably ultimately in the eye of the beholder but if I were to define it I say ski-touring is more about the ability to easiily travel over rolling terrain…and as a whole, the ascent performance is more important that the descent performance.

Having said that, I think one school of thought is…well if you’re going to make a 3-piece splitboard to make the ascent easier…why aren’t you making the skis shaped like skis to truly adhere to that design philosophy?

I’m not really sure if the problem they attempted to fix is really a problem at all. In the end, in my opinion, they made a splitboard that travels over rolling terrain (in ski mode) better that a traditional splitboard. The trade off is more moving parts, added weight, more production cost and room for errors, less stable in ride mode, less traction while steep skinning, and less flotation in deep snow.

I’m no genius but I can do the math. 🙂

Kudos for trying something new tho! :thatrocks:

rughty
    620 Posts

The only benefit for having a thinner touring ski is simply to follow a skin track laid down by skiers. The simple solution to that is to get up earlier to set it yourself on a splitboard! 😆

rughty
    620 Posts

@FloImSchnee wrote:

the purpose for the sidecut would be for better splitski performance on rolling terrain, not for traverses.

C balke
    74 Posts

Cometogether- I only saw the XV on display but often times Reps won’t purchase all the split samples to keep their costs down (Jones for example did not have any carbons or the youth board on display). I can’t recall the size.

stu_w_d
    10 Posts

@cometogether wrote:

[…]
    … if those are the K binders on the last page of the jones catalog we have got some shit to see! cause that is TOTALLY different from my baseplate. I think its a totally reworked heal lockdown and riser system.[…]

Here is the catalogue I found: http://www.zuzupopo.com/xe/catalog/85843 I can’t determine anything from that photo (p32). Wrong year?

edit: my mistake. here is the 2014-15, page 46: https://app.box.com/s/r0kko9kligutlm3ejoko

lulu
    4 Posts

Here in Europe 3 & 4 piece splitboards seems more popular than in US.
    I’ve seen that Phenix splitboards have a new hook system and they are also working on a 4p split.
    https://www.facebook.com/photo.php?fbid=1413980428838646&set=a.1413746058862083.1073741844.100006801063353&type=3&theater

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 262 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.