Forums Splitboard Talk Forum 2015 Gear Thread
Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 262 total)
  • Author
    cometogether
    385 Posts

Looks like some improvement with the K setup, but nothing crazy. I wonder if that whole heel plate, heel piece can be interchanged with the current split30/SL frame. Icing isn’t a huge issue even when its icy, it takes one minute to clean this, and if you cant spare one minute then you need to get back to the resort :nononno:

firstlight
    721 Posts

@lernr wrote:

OK, so I have the Magneto baseplate Burner conversion and am interested in the HB binding to easily swap between soft and hard setup.

Seems the heel lockdown will only apply to soft boots (I am still stoked to hear about it) but there is no solution for HB. That is, unless I want to use Tesla system tour mode with HB, as opposed to Dynafit. While this could work (?) and is cheaper than DYna, it is inefficient lifting the plate binding every stride and what not…

Cheers
    Ivo

Ivo
    I don’t think this is possible

The base plate appears to be different to the Tesla
    No touring parts as you can’t tour with a base plate anyway due to boot length and the front bail attachment are via plates that are screwed in the side!
    not a straight swap as one would have thought

See differences here

Looks to have the lever concept of the Tesla without the pins.

Adam West

www.firstlightsurfboards.com.au
    www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au
    www.splitfest.com.au
    www.snowsafety.com.au
    www.mrbc.com.au
    www.backcountryglobal.com
    www.alpinefirstaid.com.au

philip.ak
    679 Posts

@philip.ak wrote:

It’ll be neat once we are past the vaguely worded and peppered-with-market-talk press releases and low res images to have a real explanation, or better yet VIDEO, of exactly WTF “solid ride” and “active joining” and “power link” and “tour step” and “quiver link” and “electric ball massager” actually mean.

Cool to finally see a video of the Kram Prime in ‘action’. Looks like a step in the right direction. Can’t say I’m tempted, but concept looks decent.

lernr
    234 Posts

FirstLight – you are absolutely right, thanks for pointing out! Guess there still is a play for Dyna heels

CHeers
    Ivo

Method
    151 Posts

@Draizuh wrote:

While i’ve only had a brief look at the karakorams (i’ve never ridden a pair, i don’t have that kind of cash for binders!) the split30 style “pucks” seemed not suited to the maritime snow conditions

@Draizuh wrote:

im not really interested in the karakoram’s. the split30’s ive seen in use would get iced up and took longer to transition, not to mention touring pieces breaking.

I’ve been riding karakorams for the last 3 years in lots of places e.g. Japan (super-maritime snow – see below 😛 ), NZ and Australia and I can honestly say I’ve never had a problem with parts getting iced up or the touring pieces breaking. Just my :twocents: but I much prefer them over light rails, they sit much closer to the board and there’s no fiddly pins to snap! Not only that, but I can go from ride to tour without taking my foot out of the binding and I can lock the heel down in tour mode.

Eventually, I’d love to look at something like the fit well boot with a dynafit touring binding, the market is certainly exploding with different offerings for bindings. I guess it’s a matter of choosing which one suits you best. The primary motivation for me to change would be something with reduced weight and greater touring efficiency.

ATENNTION 2 PLANKERS – Please note below the 2 snowboarders transitioned and ready to go, waiting for Mr Tommy Two Planks to get moving! 😳

Draizuh
    61 Posts

Again. This is the experience i have seen. And like i said, they don’t appeal to me, i like my pucks, i like the simple approach. Apparently Karakoram users are just as preachy as hardbooters…

Im well aware that the PNW is maritime. Apparently the fact that from the few times ive seen them in use they were iced to shit and the touring piece snapped means im not allowed to have an opinion of a binding based on what ive seen of it. Neither does the fact that the Spark Tesla i was on changed over and my pucks werent icing. My :twocents: though i guess they arent worth much.

BGnight
    1382 Posts

lightrails…

L O L 😆

Do you drive a plymouth reliant too?

Reindeer mtn
    64 Posts

I was looking for the Magneto’s this year when I was in the states but they were totally sold out.
    Luckily it seems like Europe is kicking back with this.
    Almost starting to sound like a frenchie

That demo compared to the one I saw with Karakoram is not even fair. But we will see how they work out in the snow. I am guessing they where not at SIA so anyone could try them?

HansGLudwig
    601 Posts

^^^
    @Reindeer mtn wrote:

I was looking for the Magneto’s this year when I was in the states but they were totally sold out.
    Luckily it seems like Europe is kicking back with this.
    Almost starting to sound like a frenchie
    [youtube:40flwj35]AM524xXbOvk[/youtube:40flwj35]
    That demo compared to the one I saw with Karakoram is not even fair. But we will see how they work out in the snow. I am guessing they where not at SIA so anyone could try them?

Delete all that “https…” stuff. You only need the AM524xXbOvk part.

Be sure to bookmark Splitboard.com's Recent Activity page...
    http://splitboard.com/activity-2/

Zude
    367 Posts

Plume looks similar to Ranger in the way it attaches to the pucks, but Rangers tech-toe piece looks superior. Ranger just looks beefier and more bomber to me as well. I hear lots of folks dissing the pucks, yet they de-ice really easy (just slide the bindings on most of the time).
    When weighing all options i tend to lean toward hard-boots to be honest (though i’ve never tried them). Cool to see all this new gear i can’t afford though…

BGnight
    1382 Posts

In before: “there’s too many moving parts, they’ll ice up, they’ll break, they’re untested, they’re French, voile pucks are tried and true, yada yada yada….”

They do look sick. Could give K-rams a run for their money if they are distributed heavily in the U.S. I’m getting the new K-rams next season as they’ve gotten most the kinks out and I love how their bindings ride (and I’m a fanboy). I’d already take the Plum touring brackets and board clips over K-rams though. In a few years I might be making a switch if these get good reviews and evolve as well as K-rams seem to be doing. Plum’s crampon attachment is pretty slick too! BUT WHEN IS SOMEONE WITH A FUCKING BRAIN GOING TO MAKE A CRAMPON WITH OFFSET, ANGLED TEETH???!!!! :banghead: So frustrating. All this brainy tech wisdom goes into the bindings and the owners throw a chained up chimp in the back closet some scrap metal to design their fucking crampons.

BGnight
    1382 Posts

It’s going to be an interesting day when a board mfg. and a binding Co. decide to think outside the box and develop something that doesn’t follow the old Voile hole patterns. I would think this would open up an insane amount of possibilities but I’m stupid so what do I know.

wjb
    163 Posts

@BGnight wrote:

It’s going to be an interesting day when a board mfg. and a binding Co. decide to think outside the box and develop something that doesn’t follow the old Voile hole patterns. I would think this would open up an insane amount of possibilities but I’m stupid so what do I know.

yes this :clap:

firstlight
    721 Posts

@BGnight wrote:

lightrails…

L O L 😆

Do you drive a plymouth reliant too?

Thats a little harsh !
    I rode them for a season and they are the epitome of KISS.

My wife rides these and she can have any binding she wants from the shop!

Sometimes I think all the tech make no sense.

:twocents:

Adam West

www.splitfest.com.au
    www.snowsafety.com.au
    www.mrbc.com.au

shredgnar
    643 Posts

@BGnight wrote:

Why would anyone step away from the hole pattern? Yeah, the pucks suck, but the hole pattern is pretty basic. Sure, channels are an option. But it would take a board company that also makes bindings to change the system and then they would be sacrificing sales because no one else’s bindings would work with their system.

What improvements do you think could be made to the current hole pattern that almost every splitboard uses?

KennyG
    63 Posts

What I would really like to see is a binding company make it so that we can use the solid board hole pattern on diy splits and not have to put extra unneeded weight in to our diy boards…

firstlight
    721 Posts

@KennyGPorters wrote:

What I would really like to see is a binding company make it so that we can use the solid board hole pattern on diy splits and not have to put extra unneeded weight in to our diy boards…

Prowder

Adam West

www.splitfest.com.au
    www.snowsafety.com.au
    www.mrbc.com.au

keffler
    319 Posts

@firstlight wrote:

@KennyGPorters wrote:

Prowder

Add Phantom to that list :headbang:

firstlight
    721 Posts

@shredgnar wrote:

@BGnight wrote:

Why would anyone step away from the hole pattern? Yeah, the pucks suck, but the hole pattern is pretty basic. Sure, channels are an option. But it would take a board company that also makes bindings to change the system and then they would be sacrificing sales because no one else’s bindings would work with their system.

What improvements do you think could be made to the current hole pattern that almost every splitboard uses?

I think we all know what happened with the original Burton splitboard interface.

Adam West

www.splitfest.com.au
    www.snowsafety.com.au
    www.mrbc.com.au

BGnight
    1382 Posts

@shredgnar wrote:

@BGnight wrote:

Really? Everyone is designing their ideas based on some arbitrary hole pattern from a product that was invented 20 years ago. And yes there would be a sacrifice at first but that’s what motivated, innovative people deal with to make a revolutionary product. I’m guessing Burton will be the first to do it because they have so much money and can just buy out someone’s good idea. It’s the next logical evolutionary step in splitboarding.

We all bitch about wanting innovation but we tell all the inventors out there that YOU CAN ONLY USE THESE 4 HOLES because that’s just the way it’s always been. Don’t question me! 😆

Viewing 20 posts - 221 through 240 (of 262 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.