Forums Bindings 2013/14 Phantom Bindings PreOrder
Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    JimmyC
    351 Posts

Simply awesome!!!!!! :bananas:

provotrout
    130 Posts

can’t wait to get them set up!

:thatrocks:

schwalbster
    321 Posts

Even though I’m a softbooter I can appreciate the excellent craftmanship that went into these. They look perfect! Great accomplishment!
    :clap: :clap: :clap:

After much research, experimentation and consideration, I have decided adulthood is not for me. Thank you for the opportunity.

cometogether
    385 Posts

no matter what your boot- these are a step in the right direction!!!

LOVE the DIY insert plate — mostly because Karakoram and Spark wouldn’t do it….. :disco:

nice work John cant wait to demo!

provotrout
    130 Posts

SHTOKED

can’t wait to ride em this weekend! Nice work :thumbsup:

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

got mine in the mail today. I hope I can find some time this weekend to mount them and head into the hills. Amazing work John! quality is insane.

HikeforTurns
    1114 Posts

provotrout
    130 Posts

haven’t used chinese hooks with phantoms yet – it looks like they work well with no issues based on your venture setup. Is that the case across the board? Planning to trash those flimsy K-Clips and get some voiles this year..

summersgone
    820 Posts

@provotrout wrote:

haven’t used chinese hooks with phantoms yet – it looks like they work well with no issues based on your venture setup. Is that the case across the board? Planning to trash those flimsy K-Clips and get some voiles this year..

Yes

HikeforTurns
    1114 Posts

I prefer Voile, so much easier to transition. On a tight fitting split kclips are not needed.

One of my major peeves is that ice tends to build up underneath the lip of the k-clip making clamping all but impossible without clearing. Add that to the ease of sliding the Voile halves together, its a no-brainer.

provotrout
    130 Posts

^ thanks, yeah switching to voile hooks is a goal for the year.

had them out for a quick tour today. Initial impressions:

– New locking mechanism = less time for transition. Nice work
    – Bails are very sturdy, seems like they’re more secure than voile’s. Subtle difference but it really locks the boots down
    – Ride feel.. very responsive, cants are noticeable, direct connection and response on edges is the best i can remember on a split (used Kram Split30s, Voile Plates and these)

Zude
    367 Posts

These look sick, saving my duckets…… :drool:

barrows
    1490 Posts

I prefer Voile Yin-Yang hooks to K clips. I tested the differences in across the board stiffness (the ability to keep the board halvers from hinging at the seam) and the tight Voile hooks made for a stiffer connection between the board halves. But, to get good performance out of the Voile hooks, they have to be tight, and some manufacturers do not seem to have the precision to get them tight. For examples of tight Voile hooks on factory splits, check out a Venture from 12/13 or 13/14 or Never Summer. Voile hooks also make the transition with Phantoms a little easier as one does not have to line up the board halves at all, just slide the halves together with a little force until the Voile hooks seat.
    K-clips do work with Phantoms as well, but Phantom recommends Voile hooks for best performance. And, Voile hooks are lighter as well. Note that Voile has improved their tip and tail clips (new molds, beefier) over the last two seasons also, and they also work great.

burton
    329 Posts

good mornig…. this is not a secret 😉 K Clips hold the board halfs in the X Position – in the wrong ore right – closed is closed. the volie had some littel playground in the x achse… but they are stiffy in the z achse…. you know my friend….

bURTON

provotrout
    130 Posts

thanks for the info Barrows, good stuff. Was thinking I was adding to thread drift but the fact that Phantoms are recommended to be used with recent model hooks is helpful.

wasatch surf
    979 Posts

so excited to finally get these mounted. Thanks Keffler!

I’m wanting to switch back to hooks really bad. I’ve always hated K-clips. Giant pieces of shit in my opinion.

Snurfer
    1448 Posts

@wasatch surf wrote:

I’m wanting to switch back to hooks really bad. I’ve always hated K-clips. Giant pieces of shit in my opinion.

Rad binders!!! You’ll be the steez king at the Thanks Giving day skimosexual meet 😉
    I’m not a fan of the K-clips either brother, but the chimera clip holes are so well placed that going to voile hooks is really sloppy – more a testament to Al’s workmanship than an indictment of voile, but I ended up going back to the K-s on the Gnarp.

Shark Snowsurf Chuna
    Voile V-Tail 170 BC
    Voile One Ninety Five
    Spark R&D Arc

burton
    329 Posts

My new 2014 Phantom arrived, first THX to John for this great work, tecnical and workmann ******

i mounted this bindings on a new Generation of Wildschnee Snowboards withe direkt mounted Dynafit toe pices

the total wight board binding is 4200 g – it is light and gread to hould this Setup in my Hand.

i hope to touring today and make the first tour in combination with my Modifikation scarpa F1.

bURTON

_ZakMills
    72 Posts

Has anyone experienced issues with the Phantom interface becoming iced up at the transition? Seems like this could be an issue with the tight fit of the phantom. Can anyone speak to this?

barrows
    1490 Posts

@Earnyourturn wrote:

Has anyone experienced issues with the Phantom interface becoming iced up at the transition? Seems like this could be an issue with the tight fit of the phantom. Can anyone speak to this?

Because the Phantom interface provides a very tight connection between the board halves, and relies on close tolerances to do this, sometimes ice removal is necessary, especially on the inside edge of the board. In my experience of using Phantoms all of last season, and all of this season, this has never been a problem for me. On those days when the temperatures are right, there is some icing of the board edge, and a little ice removal may be necessary, this usually takes about ten additional seconds or so. I find those riders using the Karakoram interface have exactly the same experience, as the Karakoram interface also relies on close tolerances and higher precision than the Voile pucks: those days when I have to remove some ice, I find my partners on Karakoram are doing exactly the same thing, and it is no big deal: just remove any ice from the inside edge of the board halves before putting things together. Perhaps this adds ten seconds to the transition when conditions are such that icing occurs at all, it is no big deal and totally worth it for the higher performance.
    I carry one of those little Voile scrapers in my pocket for easy access when needed.

Viewing 20 posts - 41 through 60 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.