Forums Splitboards 2012 Never Summer SL Splits…
Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    HikeforTurns
    1114 Posts

What were the skinning conditions? Im taking mine out to the PNW this weekend. Problem is the glue on my voile skins got f’ed up so im using my g3s that dont have the thick plush and they are cut to fit my 25 waist. No crampons either so I hope I can get up hill ok. Im going to try and iron my voiles tonight, I think the glue became impregnated with water possibly, as it wants to come off on my base.

I only took the SL out twice last year in recycled spring pow. Stoked to rail some turns with it.

philip.ak
    679 Posts

The skinning was on a variety of spring-like snow surfaces. There were sections of bubble-wrap rime ice (nothing grips that crap) on the ridges, firm refreeze skin track where others had climbed up, and a fair bit of soft and wet granular snow when we did laps in some bowls. The skins I had on were the BD split ascension STS (the ones with the white sailcloth down the middle between two strips of ascension skins) that are supposed to be powder-only. They are basically the worst skins you can use for the conditions we were in, and I was still able to climb to all the spots I would normally visit, with minimal fuss. In other words, I don’t think the board’s shape was a detriment to climbing despite the handicap I gave it with those skins. That said, I do think my Zephyr and my old Voile RX and Prior Khyber climbed better than my Jones Solution, and I attributed this to the fact that the Jones is the only one that had zero camber (mine is totally flat between the bindings). I figured the reverse camber of the SL would be an even bigger problem, but not so far. I do reserve the right to change my mind though. 🙂

HikeforTurns
    1114 Posts

@philip.ak wrote:

The skinning was on a variety of spring-like snow surfaces. There were sections of bubble-wrap rime ice (nothing grips that crap) on the ridges, firm refreeze skin track where others had climbed up, and a fair bit of soft and wet granular snow when we did laps in some bowls. The skins I had on were the BD split ascension STS (the ones with the white sailcloth down the middle between two strips of ascension skins) that are supposed to be powder-only. They are basically the worst skins you can use for the conditions we were in, and I was still able to climb to all the spots I would normally visit, with minimal fuss. In other words, I don’t think the board’s shape was a detriment to climbing despite the handicap I gave it with those skins. That said, I do think my Zephyr and my old Voile RX and Prior Khyber climbed better than my Jones Solution, and I attributed this to the fact that the Jones is the only one that had zero camber (mine is totally flat between the bindings). I figured the reverse camber of the SL would be an even bigger problem, but not so far. I do reserve the right to change my mind though. 🙂

Cool, thanks.

Viewing 3 posts - 61 through 63 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.