Forums Splitboards 2012 Never Summer SL Splits…
Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)
  • Author
    ShredLife
    85 Posts

are up at Backcountry.com… get you some…

ehcarley
    411 Posts

Sexy… :drool:

aksltxlt
    621 Posts

Just picked up the 161 :headbang: 999 includes shipping Most coin Ive ever dropped on a board :guinness:

fitit
    343 Posts

I’ve been waiting for it to be available but I just bought a burton split (used, near new because I couldn’t wait any more but I still want one). let us know how it rides…

aksltxlt
    621 Posts

I have the Revolver R that I cut myself (same shape) and I love it, cant wait to get on the factory SL split

thecornicestore
    6 Posts

Here’s what the SL splitboard topsheet looks like up close and personal!!

lernr
    233 Posts

TheCorniceStore: you said earlier that these were Heritage boards, not SLs?

I can say this about the Heritage split:
    1. It’s very very solid and awesome quality. This is not a toy!
    2. No compromise detected in performance when comparing with a solid (even a NS solid)
    3. Less aggressive than the Raptor solid that Vince sent me to demo – but still amazing ride, for sure
    4. Holds great edge, easy to handle when things get tight, damp: really a joy to ride!

It’s so nice I don’t want to ride my K2 TD solid. (I would ride the solid as my resort and rock board, but mostly to ‘save’ the NS). Really, I am thinking I need another NS solid so that I still enjoy the resort rides and also save my split for when I actually need it.

Cheers
    Ivo

thecornicestore
    6 Posts

Gday Ivo,

Yep its a Heritage split chassis under a shiny new SL topsheet , I was trying to show what a SL split with carbounim topsheet looks like in real life.

I am soooooo itching to test it out!!

lernr
    233 Posts

@thecornicestore wrote:

.. I am soooooo itching to test it out!! …

Totally understand! Hoping you get to – asap. No idea what your current ride is, but I venture to say expect a significant and positive difference 😀

Cheers
    Ivo

snobro
    125 Posts

Posting Pics for Aksltxlt

Sl Split #5

The Rocker

aksltxlt
    621 Posts

Poppin #5s cherry tommarow… Ill let ya’ll know how she rides

snobro
    125 Posts

Posting for Aksltxlt

Took the 161 out for her maiden voyage. I was originally gonna take her to the resort to dial in the bindings…But I just cant break such a nice board in at the resort. The dimpled top sheet is cool kinda like a reverse golf ball material that seems to shed snow very well. Skinning was much better with the factory split over my DIY board. I also like that the touring bracket is placed more forward than other factory splits Ive ridden. When lifting the skiis, the tips rise out of the snow immediatly.

The changeover action is very smooth and the fit is titties :thumpsup: Stoked to have P-tex sidewalls and an inner edge. The ride down was fun corn and the SL performed beautifully. REally easy to turn and edges well (fast board noticibly stiffer than my DIY revolver r. I really want to get this board in some powder! :headbang:

fitit
    343 Posts

Now, I want one even more especially with your comments (I’d like a stiffer board too). I bet the tips come up because NS design team knows the exact balance of the board. That is good to know. Did you find the 161cm to be a great length? That is what I was considering, I am 5’9″ and 195 lbs, how about you? Have you ever ridden the Summit Split?

aksltxlt
    621 Posts

I really do like the 161 length. I actually have 3 NS splittys 2 DIY and this factory split. I have not ridden the summit I favor twin tips. Im 5’9 160 and I could easily have gotten away with the 158 but I just like 161’s. The SL is killer in all conditions, but I am not a one quiver kind of guy and like a cambered 158 for spring corn. Oh and fitit I think you could definitly get away with the 161 but may want a litte extra length for those epic deep days 😀 BTW the board quality is superb and am very happy with the product.

ShredLife
    85 Posts

got my 158 out the other day and have a few thoughts:

I am 5’ 9” 145# and I’ve been riding an SL 155 solid on the lifts for the last season and a half. It is one of my most favorite snowboards I have ever ridden, and a true all-mountain weapon. My riding style is more windlips, cornices, and natural hits than handrails so I’ve been wanting to switch up to a 155 Heritage but tried to pull the trigger too late this season. I’ve demo’d the Proto CT 154 and its noticeably stiffer than the SL – especially torsionally… it rails on edge….

so needless to say I was stoked when I heard that these were coming out. I have the 158 SL split (mine’s also serial # 0005, weird) with Sparks LT brackets and Blaze’s with cartel straps.

The board – to me – rides like a longer, stiffer SL… which is great….its closer to the Proto than the SL, and I imagine closer to this years Heritage as well.. Vince has called it a Heritage in SL skin…

My first day out with it WAS on the lifts and it just shreds. At no time riding it did it feel chattery at all or did i ever notice that it was a split… threw some ones and threes on some kickers and it spins just fine. really stomps landings. I have drunk every drop of kool-aid when it comes to Never Summer’s Rocker/Camber profile. truly the best of both worlds and just a springboard of pop.

We need access to a 155 or 154 of this splitboard. I did notice that the 158 compared to the 155 seemed to ride a bit longer than an extra 3 cm… might just be me and I need to get used to the board more, but it does have a different vario sidecut pattern so that could be part of it…I am sure that there are times that I will appreciate the extra length, but I have ridden a 157 cambered split in the BC for years so I am sure that with rocker I can go down to 55/54..

Touring it is pretty awesome… really wide boards with great tips that duck-dive and elevate themselves laying down the skin-track in all but the swampiest of PNW “pow”… LT brackets are the shit. zero slop.

fitit
    343 Posts

I really enjoyed my Salomon 450 -159cm board years ago, and currently I ride a Burton Triumph 164cm, which is much stiffer than the Salomon and Ive grown to enjoy that. The Burton S 162 split seems to be more flexible than the Salomon 450. So I think the the NS Split SL would be slightly more flexible than my Triumph and I thought a little shorter 161 would give me a little more versatility for the board, but maybe I should go with 163 for the powder days. What are your thoughts? Oh, my shoe print is 11, so I don’t need a super wide board or anything.

The NS SL split should ride more like the Heritage and the NS summit split should ride more like the Raptor, so I’ve heard.

ShredLife
    85 Posts

haha thats funny the Daniel Franck from that 450 and 550 era (’02?) was my favorite board i’d ever ridden (might still be) till I picked up an SL. the Dan Franck was stiffer than either the 450 or 550..

i guess you could probably go either size if you used to ride down to a 159… i would make the choice based on my riding style – which for me means go shorter… yer also gonna get some added float from the rocker..

fitit
    343 Posts

I gave the 450 to my best friend a couple years ago but it was a great all around board. So I’m with you there. I think with the rc design I can go shorter to 161 for maneuverability.

lernr
    233 Posts

@shredlife:
    With rocker you can actually get a longer board and it would ride as a shorter one. Generally, for the same overall length the cambered boards ride longer. Of course, there are differences based on the particular rocker implementation…

Cheers
    Ivo

ShredLife
    85 Posts

i dont want to ride longer… i like to spin

Viewing 20 posts - 1 through 20 (of 63 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.