Forums Splitboards 13/14 Never Summer Prospector Splitboard
Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)
  • Author
    lernr
    233 Posts

What is the final word on the sidecut radius equivalent? Is it about 10m, as Barrows calculated earlier in this thread?

Thanks
    Ivo

BGnight
    1382 Posts

@lernr wrote:

What is the final word on the sidecut radius equivalent? Is it about 10m, as Barrows calculated earlier in this thread?

Thanks
    Ivo

This. Bueller?
    Nvm, I was interested until I saw the waist widths (25.0 too narrow 26.2 too wide :()

HikeforTurns
    1113 Posts

Check this shape:

:guinness:

http://tailgatealaska.com/node/414

JimmyC
    351 Posts

I love the curves on that board.

Mike Hardaker
    20 Posts

Gags and Vince talk about the new Prospector Split
    [youtube:2n3auppj]AVnYjZjx8YE[/youtube:2n3auppj]

lernr
    233 Posts

OK, still not clear what is the sidecut?

barrows
    1490 Posts

it is as I said before. On the 167X, if one figured an equivalent radius the way Venture does, using the sidecut depth and the edge contact to calculate the radius of a circle, the sidecut is about 9.9 meter radius.
    Never Summer figures an “average radius” instead, which is apparently an average of the different radii they blend together.
    Interestingly, Never Summer’s vari radius is not smoothly blended together, as is the somewhat similar approach used by Venture, using a quadratic radius. Sighting down the edge on the Never Summer, one can easily a relatively abrupt transition where the sidecut radius changes.

philip.ak
    679 Posts

That’s just like the edge on my Jones Solution: mello magnetraction.

lernr
    233 Posts

Thank you, Barrows – I had seen your earlier post, but wasn’t sure if it was based on paper specs or having the board in hand.

Philip – on NS you can see sections but no ‘bumps’ as on magne. I don’t have a Solution, but have a NS, a Smokin (mellow magne) and a Lib C2BTX magne snowskate and they are all quite different. Edge hold and turning feel different too – NS feels less harsh biting and more smooth.

Cheers
    Ivo

philip.ak
    679 Posts

I was sort of half kidding. The Jones’ mello mag is truly wavy on the inside edge, but on the outside radius’ed edge, it is just 5 straight sections interspersed by 4 transitions. My Never Summer SL is pretty similar though the transitions between the ‘straight’ sections are a little smoother, and it uses variable radius sections rather than punctuated constant radius. If the Jones has mello mag, the NS has super chill mag. :doobie:

lernr
    233 Posts

^ got it – and sorry, I posted before I saw you also have a NS SL

FrankH
    35 Posts

Does anybody have a real world waist width measurement for the 164cm prospector?

The NS website lists 25 cm but the 13/14 catalog and many other websites list 25.5 cm

Taylor
    792 Posts

What is this shape (besides damn nice)?

@hikeforturns wrote:

Check this shape:

:guinness:

http://tailgatealaska.com/node/414

@sun_rocket

barrows
    1490 Posts

Back to the Prospector. This is a damn good board, probably the best “quiver of one” I have been on for the backcountry. I have now had it in some very steep terrain, and lots of different types of snow, and it has never let me down. Smooth and predictable (critical attributes to me) in all conditions. It has not let me down yet. The 167X is the perfect size for me in an all-rounder, big enough with enough surface area to be great in deep blower, long enough to be stable at speed (and smooth enough to handle well at speed, damp) and maneuverable enough to handle the tightest terrain I ride in CO’s front range trees and chutes/drops. Flex seems near perfect as well, not too stiff, but by no means jittery when maching.
    I am impressed and happy.

Viewing 14 posts - 41 through 54 (of 54 total)

You must be logged in to reply to this topic.