Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 24, 2014 11:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 39  Next
 Post subject: Re: PDX Splitters unite!
PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 9:41 am 

Anyone going up St. Helens this weekend for the mother's day climb? Should be sunny & warm.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:45 am 

mofoco wrote:
Anyone going up St. Helens this weekend for the mother's day climb? Should be sunny & warm.

I'm down

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 10:13 pm 

So I'm heading up on Saturday night with some friends to camp out & then climb. Early start, as it's going to be a scorcher. From what I've seen online, it's a bit of a party/fustercluck. A couple hundred people climbing the same day. Ladies and gentlemen, don't forget your dresses.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:18 pm 

Be aware -- due to the high avi danger this weekend, NWAC issued a special bulletin for parts of washington and oregon and recommends BC travelers avoid the BC this weekend:
http://www.nwac.us/forecast/avalanche/current/zone/8/

And contrary to normal policy, MSH is issuing refunds for climb permits sat and sun due to the high avi risk:
http://mshinstitute.org/index.php/climbing/index

If you're going, i'd get up and down whatever you're climbing good and quick before the warm temps turn it to a slurpee to the ground. At least the bright side is once the freezing temps return it'll be a solid block to hopefully last us all a bit longer.

PostPosted: Sat May 12, 2012 2:21 pm 

So, I'm bailing due to uncertainty and the newly posted avalanche hazard warnings. Would rather go in a couple weeks when I know conditions are decent and I can ride whatever I want to, and not worry about avvy hazards.

Pic from Friday:
[url]
http://www.snowboardingforum.com/back-c ... anche.html[/url]

Good TR, sounding less sketchy:

http://www.snowboardingforum.com/backcountry-trip-reports/48546-tr-mt-st-helen-s-washington.html

Plus, it's a nice weekend in PDX. Haven't been here yet for a good one this year, too many trips...

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 7:37 pm 

So I now have a lot of free time during the week and weekends. So I'm up to get outside. Anyone have anything planned this week?

PostPosted: Mon May 28, 2012 8:05 pm 

mofoco wrote:
So I now have a lot of free time during the week and weekends. So I'm up to get outside. Anyone have anything planned this week?

I'm usually off on monday and tuesday. Shoot me a pm if you ever want to hit something up.

PostPosted: Thu Jul 05, 2012 9:59 pm 

I'm looking to do some summertime riding day trip or overnight. I'm usually off sunday thru tuesday and every other saturday. Hit me up if anyone is interested...

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 10:08 am 

Hi all!

I am hopefully getting a split-board setup in the coming weeks/months so you might be seeing me on the forums more and hopefully in "real life" to make some turns!

I have been snowboarding since the 93/94 season, fairly decent all around rider. Moved from the midwest to PDX in May 2010, and PDX to Hood River in May 2011.

LOVE the PNW! LOVE living "In the Hood"! Sounds like there is at least 1-2 other guys posting here that live in HR too? My 2 best PNW riding buddies have had to re-locate to so-so cal and Texas, so I would be stoked to team up with some of you gnarly shredders!

I am not jaded yet and have had a shredows pass the past 2 seasons. The little 300 vertical ft. hill I grew up riding rope-tows on was charging $299 for a season pass back in the 90's, so the $500 shredows pass is a great value for me. Does anyone else ride meadows? I have got about 40 days in riding in each of the last 2 seasons. Most of my time at Meadows is spent lapping Jacks Woods.

I work 3 long shifts Mon-Fri so always have 2 weekdays available to ride. Usually aviod Meadows on the weekends except to take my 4 year old to the beginner area.

Cheers!

-Mike

My highest appreciation goes out to the simple rider whos out there just for the experience. Taking in the mountains rates even higher to me than the mark we make on them, and the people who do that the best are the ones I most wish to emulate

CK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 1:42 pm 

Careful homie, all the other Mead-hoes end up preferring the split... :headbang:

What're you gettin?

OR Splitfest is going to be 3/7-3/9 this season, and yes there will be at least one brand new Venture splitboard to give away... come hang out with the other heads!

Tip -- lots of us got started at Pea Gravel Ridge, directly across Newton Creek from Meadows. Great safe treed terrain for those storm days, on both sides of the ridge. By January or so, you can usually use the runout trail below Heather Canyon. Great place to get some chops before stepping it up. :doobie:

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 2:34 pm 

I am thinking about a Burton Splif.

I have a Nug that I like a lot, so the Splif is basically a split NUG.

What splitboard is most like a Burton Fish? Prior Khyber?

Where is the OR splitfest going to happen???

My highest appreciation goes out to the simple rider whos out there just for the experience. Taking in the mountains rates even higher to me than the mark we make on them, and the people who do that the best are the ones I most wish to emulate

CK

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 4:45 pm 

If you want a split Fish, BCRider (forum owner) has one for sale:

viewtopic.php?f=4&t=13841

...with the older (defunct) Burton interface. You could probably get it drilled with inserts for the Voile interface if you wanted.

And that Unity Dominion he has for sale looks pretty cool too. My faves this year for 'quiver killer' or all around boards are the Arbor Abacus, Voile Artisan and the Burton Freebird. The Venture Helix is probably worth a look too.

I understand liking a softer board for resort riding, but you may want to consider checking out (demoing, renting, etc.) a stiffer board for BC riding. Depends on the type of terrain you'll want to hit, but I have a feeling once you get a taste of some big lines, you might want some more. And most riders like a bit more stable board for those types of lines. Just my :twocents:

I dunno about shops out in HR, but when you're in PDX I'm gonna steer you towards Next Adventure. Talk to Chris, he'll set you straight.

Still checking on venues for Splitfest. I'm thinking some restaurant / bar along highway 26. Will need to be somewhere that is ok with a bunch of dirtbag splitboarders car camping in their parking lot.

I'll post a thread in the Events subforum once we get some details nailed down.

PostPosted: Thu Sep 20, 2012 5:48 pm 

Passing Gas welcome to the boards. I work a weird schedule and usually off Sun-Tues and always down to tours the weekdays. Like Jefe009 said, most of us tour over at Pea Gravel Ridge. Hopefully it turns out to be a decent powder season.

Hey Jefe, no tilly jane this year???

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 496 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 20, 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26 ... 39  Next