Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Aug 20, 2014 7:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Never Summer Summit Split 11/12
PostPosted: Thu May 10, 2012 11:42 am 

That would be weird if that was a cause from the design of the K Clips. Somehow, I don't think it is.

It looks like either you had an impact to that area or there was a problem with the lay up or materials in that section. Hard to say as it is in such a weird spot.

I'm sure Vince will take care of you. If not a new split, I'm sure they'll hook you up with a smoking deal to get one. Definitely keep us informed.

PostPosted: Fri May 11, 2012 10:31 am 

Vince called me today and has received the board. I should hear from him again Monday after he gets to talk to Tim.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 12:05 pm 

Vince called me back today with amazing news-- they are sending me a new 2012/13 split! Words cannot describe how happy I am.

Never Summer is such a stand up company and I will forever be a fan. If you're considering one of their boards, pull the trigger! You won't regret it.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 2:24 pm 

Good to hear. Any more info on cause? Concerns with Kclips?

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:38 pm 

No concern with the Karakoram clips. They spoke with one of their larger riders who has used both the chinese hooks and K clips on this board without any issues. This is the first time they've seen anything like this and it sounded like they haven't seen many broken splits in general.

I don't know the exact moment when I broke my board. I actually didn't even notice the damage until I was home cleaning my board to put it away at the end of the day. I do have an idea on what run it happened, but I am only guessing because at the end of said run I noticed my nose hook (not the K clip) was undone. I didn't think much of it at the time, I just clipped it back in place and continued to ride. They did conclude that this occurred while in ride mode and most likely due to some type of impact.

I feel Never Summer really gave me the benefit of doubt and took everything into consideration. They did make it clear this is a one time replacement and that if it happens again I'm on my own, which I feel is more than fair. They will also keep an eye out for any future occurrences, but at this point don't feel there is any need to reinforce this area as it would change the way the board rides.... and I must say, the board does ride most excellent.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:55 pm 

Guys
Just split a 172 Summit and it has channels in core where the cut was.
This might account for the "weak areas".
Will be installing inside edge and sidewalls anyway so no real issue.
Just another thing to keep in mind

Cheers

+61 (0)413 888 115
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au http://www.splitfest.com.au http://www.splitfests.com http://www.mrbc.com http://www.backcountryglobal.com
Sydney - Nowra - Jindabyne

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 8:01 am 

Told ya Vince would take care of you. The guys at Neversummer from top to bottom get it. From the owners to the guys doing the lay up. Glad you are getting a sweet new deck.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 5:23 pm 

firstlight wrote:
Guys

This is known. It's a feature, not a bug. Something regarding lightweight and less vibrations. I guess the split version has a bit different anatomy, than the solid. NS state that split versions are designed to be splits.

And to repeat myself...
moridinbg wrote:
Speaking of build, I have been wondering, is the Carbonium topsheet actually carbon fiber sheet, or is it some other material mixed with the carbon or what?

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:54 am 

Hey all,

Hooked on the spitboard phenom after touring in some of the Utah backcountry in Feb.

I'm back in my home land of Australia now and want to buy a Never Summer Sl split. Dogfunk and Backcountry.com don't ship Never Summer internationaly so i'd love help finding somewhere that did.

Any help on where i can get one of these split decks would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 6:40 am 

moridinbg wrote:
firstlight wrote:
Guys

This is known. It's a feature, not a bug. Something regarding lightweight and less vibrations. I guess the split version has a bit different anatomy, than the solid. NS state that split versions are designed to be splits.

And to repeat myself...
moridinbg wrote:
Speaking of build, I have been wondering, is the Carbonium topsheet actually carbon fiber sheet, or is it some other material mixed with the carbon or what?

No carbon, just a lighter more durable topsheet design according to NS. It has definitely held up better than my Venture decks (chip-resistant). Im not sure what the actual material consists of....

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 8:13 am 

I've read somewhere (on the internet) that "Carbonium" is a name only, no carbon in it all. Also, I think Donek and Voile (others?) have used this exact material and I don't think any of them claim any carbon content.

"Carbon fibre-like texture!" would be a pretty lame marketing pitch. I like the material though.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 12:07 pm 

I think that the "Carbonium" topsheet also has some snow shedding properties that are pretty beneficial, especially when skinning. I remember hearing that from somebody.

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 3:31 pm 

dmcclurg wrote:
Dogfunk and Backcountry.com don't ship Never Summer internationaly so i'd love help finding somewhere that did.

Any help on where i can get one of these split decks would be greatly appreciated.

thanks

Tactics.com
That's where I got mine in the UK.