Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 30, 2014 3:08 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next
 Post subject: Re: What camera??
PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 9:20 am 

What size Osprey Digistow is that bcrider?

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 10:14 am 

I have a Canon 7D that I shoot with when I want to get serious and I have a subject to shoot that's worth carrying the extra weight. I also have a G12 that I always have in my touring pack and have shot with a lot more since I got it than my 7D. I'm pretty sure that the frame count is higher on the 7D since it isn't unusual to shoot ~1000 frames in a busy day but the number of days and the personal memories captured on the G12 in the last 18 months is higher. My room mate has the Canon S100 and it's a great camera, pretty much the same internals as the G12 without the hotshoe for an external flash and with less external dials. With the S100 you have to navigate through menus instead of using dials which slows things down a bit if you make lots of changes but also makes a big difference between the 2 cameras in terms of size.

I tried out one of the Panasonics but returned it to get the G12 instead primarily because I was already familiar with the Canon menu structure and because I already had a Canon flash that I wanted to be able to use with my little body too.

If you go with Canon and have the money for a nice P&S then pick between the G12 and S100 based on the requirement for an external flash (G12 only), the size (advantage S100), and the speed/convenience of changing settings (advantage G12). I have made good use of the articulating screen on the G12 to shoot pictures of entrances to lines with the camera held out over head and alse to frame self portraits in front of backgrounds that I like. :)

One other consideration if you're traveling in areas that you aren't familiar with...a P&S is far less conspicuous than a DSLR. I was in London just before I got my G12 and after a scary incident on the tube I didn't feel comfortable getting my big kit out in Camden Market and missed out on a lot of good pictures but I wouldn't have had a problem shooting with a G12 or S100.

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:58 pm 

JimmyC wrote:
What size Osprey Digistow is that bcrider?

Medium fits the G12 perfect. It's a little snug at first but after a couple days it fits like a glove! The best position is with the lens outward, power button on the rider's left side.

:thumbsup:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:33 am 

Cool---thanks bcrider!

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 7:48 pm 

Micro 4/3.

The Olympus OM-D looks sick. First mirrorless camera I've seen that wouldnt sacrifice much from my Nikon SLRs. Stoked.

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 8:53 pm 

strain wrote:
Micro 4/3.

The Olympus OM-D looks sick. First mirrorless camera I've seen that wouldnt sacrifice much from my Nikon SLRs. Stoked.

Ditto - Getting ready to sell my Canon 40D for that one. Doesn't hurt that the same effective reach is half the glass length.

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 2:06 pm 

have either of you actually held one of these? Sounds rad, but most 4/3 bodies so far haven't quite lived up to the hype, at least for shooting action. Would be very interested in getting my hands on one if the performance was there... hmmm...

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:19 pm 

I have the Lumix GF1 which is a micro 4/3
It takes good photo's. I am beginning to get good action shots. But there's a lot to learn.
However, it's small, and I do always take it, which is the key to getting good photos, doh!
I haven't used a viewfinder up til now. I have the EVF(electronic viewfinder) but it didn't fit in my camera bag, so I haven't used it so far.

Must have 1/1000 second exposure or shorter if your target is shifting
Viewfinder is a plus: unless you're lucky you won't get as good results as the guy with the viewfinder.

I have the small zoom lens. I do consider getting a big camera Cannon 7D but it would probably get left at home too much.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 7:09 am 

strain - i agree . . . the olympus OM-D looks SWEET!! Any word on availability? I've seen anywhere from 1 to 2 months on the E-M5.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 8:55 am 

The Sony NEX-5n is worth a look. It takes great photos---but is a bit bulky when using the 18-55 mm lens.

PostPosted: Tue May 08, 2012 1:07 pm 

Lumix DMC-G3?

http://www.dpreview.com/reviews/panasonicdmcg3

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 8:34 pm 

Has anyone tried the Nikon AW100 while splitboarding?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 01, 2012 11:39 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
Otherwise my fav is my Panasonic Lumix DMC-ZS3. A small camera with a big zoom, and brilliant quality pics. I've abused the crap out of it (tons of days snowboarding, XC skiing, mountain biking, sea kayaking, etc) and it refuses to die. Love that thing.

I have a Lumix DMC-TZ5 and really like it as well. Small form factor considering the zoom it has, and excellent quality pics for a compact. Lots of people who see my photos are surprised to find out that I'm using a compact. They're tough buggers, too. It goes everywhere in my back pocket and has no complaints. I had a TZ1 before this one and pretty well beat the tar out of it with no ill effects until I finally killed it in a sand storm.

On the other hand, nothing beats the versatility and image quality of a DSLR, so my masochistic self is going to haul around my D7000 a good bit of the time.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 48 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4  Next