Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 2:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2011/2012 Utah snow and avalanche conditions
PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 10:58 am 

I got out on Saturday and again yesterday evening. Saturday was a trip up Broads. Holy carnage! Lots of wet slab activity came off the slabs during the warm spell last week. The turns were great up there though, as the cold temps kept the powder hanging around all day down to 8k. Yesterday I ran up to Alta after work with the goal to summit Sugarloaf and ride the steep chute that comes down the lookers left side of the peak. The snow was great! I don't think I've ever experienced snow so variable that stayed so good. In places it was mature corn, in others damp pow with corn underneath, in others soft melty groomers. Railing turns down the groomers back to the car was one of the best parts.

More importantly Sugarloaf was the last Wasatch Elevener that I had to summit and ride. There are 20 Eleveners in total using the 300' prominence cut off that the 54 14ers and other peak lists are made with, plus two more peaks that deserve an honorable mention. Here is the list, by elevation:

Mt. Nebo Main Summit
Timpanogos Main Summit
South Timp
West American Fork Twin
North Timp
East Broads Fork Twin
Pfeifferhorn
White Baldy
Sunrise Peak
Lone Peak
North Peak (north of Nebo)
Red Baldy
South Thunder
Monte Cristo
Dromedary
Box Elder
Provo Peak
Mount Baldy
Sugarloaf
East Provo Peak
Honorable Mentions go to North Thunder and Superior, since they are important peaks for skiers.

My first was Mount Baldy, on a sunset trip on the summer solstice in 2008.

Most misery was probably the NW Couloir of the BF Twins, since we chose to exit Deaf Smith Canyon:

North Peak was second to last, 2 weeks ago:

13 were skied in powder, 5 in corn, and 2 on ice. One done in Feb, 3 in Mar, 9 in Apr, 3 in May, 4 in June.

Thanks also to all the partners who made it happen, including Dave (mar123)! So far I haven't heard of anybody actually completing this before, on skis or a board, although I haven't done an exhaustive search. Mostly just asking around and google searching. I wouldn't be surprised if some dude did it in 1996 or something before they could brag about it on the internet. There are 13 more peaks in the 10500+ list, so I guess I'll have to start with those now!

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 1:26 pm 

nice pics ya'll!!

Congrats Matt!! Thanks for letting me tag along,...hopefully you will still want to go back to some of these places again :D

Its about that time of year where the rock is the perfect temp for climbing...
Sasquatch
Pentapitch

PostPosted: Sat May 05, 2012 10:32 pm 

A bit of a break from my final semester of grad school, so I went up into White Pine to spend a night and clear my head.

Carried the split on my pack to the creek because of very patchy snow along the road...

Set camp as the last sun was shining on Red Baldy...

Looking N from camp...

Moonrise

Kitchen all put away, ready for bed...

Pretty mellow weather, a few sprinkles of rain in the early evening, but cool enough to make the snow pretty firm come morning. Nice corn conditions at the moment.

Next morning, ready to go downhill...

Firm snow, lots of exposed vegetation, and a bigger than normal pack made for challenging riding... although I did actually make some turns.

At some point, I started to question it...

Eventually switched back to split mode with skins on...

Nice views into Tanner's on the way out...

PostPosted: Sun May 06, 2012 3:47 pm 

Rode down from East Castle summit at Alta about 1 pm today, tasty smooth corn turns with no one around. I like Alta when it's a late season ghosttown like today was.

mej, congrat's on your prominence list project, that's rad! Thanks Doug, felt good today and hope to get out more. Checking to see if there's a groupon for "Wasatch Surf's Brown Trout and Bail Bonds."

PostPosted: Mon May 07, 2012 9:24 am 

Yesterday my buddy Chuck and I headed down to Cascade Mountain to try and find some good corn. The car thermometer said 32 F at the trailhead, the overlook on the Squaw Peak road. Since we weren't starting particularly early, that was a good thing. This trailhead seems to be a favorite place for Provo teenagers to engage in all sorts of irresponsible behavior. i wouldn't want to park there overnight. We booted up a couloir on the west face of Cascade, hiking until we hit snow at 8300'. From there about 90% of the route was snow to the summit. A couple ideas we had for runs down the east side had been wiped out by climax wet slabs, but we still found a good line:

You would have thought we were in the Cascade Range based on the quality of the corn. I love good corn. After that we skinned/booted back to the ridge and descended our ascent couloir, which in places provided a nice stonegrind due to the chossy nature of the couloir. The cool temps all day made the hike out really pleasant too.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 6:50 am 

Went up to Deseret Peak with a buddy yesterday. There was some pretty amazing corn to be ridden. This morning while driving by from the interstate that the side we rode slide. Guess we timed it just right since everything was great while we were there.

PostPosted: Fri May 18, 2012 11:45 am 

Glad to see you made it Snowvols.

I've gotta take a group of scouts up to Red Pine lake tomorrow. I wish so bad that I could ditch them for a few minutes and ride the Pfeiff or the ridge above the lake. Alas, responsibility.

PostPosted: Sun May 20, 2012 11:37 am 

In case anyone's curious how this one's holding up. Lots of rocks to deal with in lower portion but better than anticipated.

PostPosted: Sun Jun 03, 2012 3:01 pm 

Hey All,

any one want to get out and climb this summer? I've had a hard time finding people to climb with the past few summers. Would like to climb more. get at me if you want to go out sometime,.

ps-I don't do trad, but would love to learn :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 7:46 am 

Gunsight at Alta:

PostPosted: Tue Jun 05, 2012 8:49 am 

Also, quick off-topic PSA: There's a casual, introductory, get-together tonight for the upcoming premiere Mini Maker Faire in Salt Lake City, which will be at Library Square on October 6, 2012. I recently went to the San Mateo Maker Faire, which was a great weekend if you're into techy/DIY/WTF-type stuff, and I'm stoked to help make one happen in SLC this fall. If you'd like to contribute, or help organize the event, or are just curious, please feel free to swing by, or PM me.

836 East Harrison Ave at 7 PM, Tuesday June 5th. Free food (fish tacos) and drinks (beer).

More info here: http://www.facebook.com/SLCMakerFaire

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 1:58 pm 

Hey everyone, have a great summer! I'm about to head into the Absarokas (NW Wyoming) for 30 days, and just wanted to officially check out from this season. It was great touring with new people, and meeting new people as well. Looking forward to next season!

Peace! :thatrocks:

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

PostPosted: Sun Jun 10, 2012 7:38 pm 

have fun Kelly! those are some of my favorite mountains in the world.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next