Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Oct 31, 2014 2:57 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Dynafit TLT 5 Mountain, WOW!
PostPosted: Wed Mar 14, 2012 9:52 am 

Steve:

The TLT5s achieve much of their remarkable performance as a result of their close, anatomical, shell fit. This is great if the shell fits your foot, if not, there can be comfort problems. Unless your foot is very, very unusual, I would suspect that a good fit can be achieved with the help of an experienced bootfitter. With a season and a half on mine, I am still finding ways to improve the performance and fit. The stock liner in the TF-X version is not great, if one can find the TF version, it has a better (Palau) liner which is more moldable. That being said, the stock liner does mold somewhat, and you cannot judge the fit without molding the liner.
My most recent changes were to add an Intuition "Freeride" liner, this is way better than any of the stock liners, then, I moved the lower buckle back on the boot shell about 1/2"-this results in the lower buckles pressure being better distributed over my foot, and pulling the foot back and the heel down more. I also run a molded Sole insole, with some added fit aids to properly support my foot; it is remarkable how properly supporting the foot in a neutral postion can help the overall boot fit.
As for the warmth-this is not a super warm boot, as it is designed for skiers who are constantly on the move. I have had mine out in days which stayed in the low single digits F, and have been fine, as long as I kept my torso warm, and did not stay stationary for too long (10 minute breaks were fine). The Intuition liner added considerable warmth to the boot, and I am not worried about warmth at all.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 10:46 am 

Perhaps someone could create an after-market mod-parts for the TLT5? That way one could get a consistent part. This would allow original part to be put back in the boot for resale.

Frankly, I am intimidated about modifying an expensive boot. But, I do see the value in modifying the boots for a softer flex.

FYI: GearTrade.com has several TLT 5 boots on closeout sale. These are returns from backcountry.com. See:http://www.geartrade.com/search/results/?searchTerm=tlt

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:02 pm 

I believe Barrows has talked about it before, but I believe it would be easy to create a replacement plate for the part that is filed down. I think next year's TLT5 are going to have a replaceable plate (at least that's the rumor). I was in the same boat about modifying the boot with the worry that I'd screw it up. After taking a file to this lean angle plate, it's really not a big deal and pretty easy to fix if you did really screw it up ( just build a new plate). I think it would actually be hard to put too much forward lean in (by "over" filing) as I think what people don't realize is that the boot is not "free" to flop forward once you slot it out. It still takes a good bit of force to get the boot to flex forward once the mod has been done.

After all, this is splitboarding, and we are use to modding just about everything to get it the way we want it.

Ride it stock, then start filing away. It's fun, all the cool kids are doing it....

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:58 am 

well, i'm joining the club. ever since i had a crampon pop off my soft boots while climbing near new zealand's mt cook a couple years ago, i've been thinking about the advantages of hard boots. this season, waking up in the snow cave and watching scott slip on his hard boots and finish making coffee before i was able to even get my liners into the frozen shells was the final straw.

i was pretty overwhelmed by the thought of entering a world full of incredibly expensive products i knew nothing about, so i put it off for ages, but after reading through this thread, i was pretty convinced that if the TLTs were comfortable, i'd buy a pair. there happens to be an awesome little backcountry-focused ski shop (proski) in my neighborhood and the guys there were pretty good about explaining the boots and their options for fitment customization, so i (quite uncharacteristically) decided to pay the extra $$$ and buy the boots there. considering my penchant for buying only half price gear and never paying sales tax, these boots may be the single most expensive piece of snowboard gear i've ever purchased.

now my head is spinning with all the other items i need to order to make this setup complete... and i've got a few questions that i haven't seen addressed in the threads that i've perused so far. my apologies if i missed it...

how effective are the standard voile climbing wires at providing heel lift? has anyone needed to modify them to work properly (other than repositioning)? has anyone tried the dual height version? i wonder if the wire that folds forward from the rear would just fold back down when stepped on.

and how about the toe pieces? i see that spark sells the dynafit "speed radical". but on the dynafit page there are a ton of different binding styles, with not much technical information about the differences. has anyone contacted dynafit to see what is available individually? are there benefits or drawbacks to any of the different versions? in case it isn't obvious by now, i know pretty much nothing about ski bindings...

lastly (and least important) how about ski crampons? my initial research revealed that the dynafit ones are "flimsy" and break. i remember seeing some that were extra wide for splitboards, but required that their mounting brackets be screwed to the ski. does anyone have a recommendation?

and most important of all, a HUGE THANKS to everyone here who put so much time into detailing their boot and binding mods and experiences. i never would have made the jump into $600 boots without all this info, and would probably still be the guy griping about frozen boots in the snow cave, or complaining come fall that his brand new softboots are already packed out and flexy from long springtime approaches.

THANKS GUYS!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:19 am 

Voile wires are fine. I use the dual height and they work without issues
Lots of other options including......

http://www.genuineguidegear.com/gear/ac ... bing-heels

Speed Radicals you can buy individually, otherwise you may have to get an entire binding and try and get rid of the heelpieces.You are going to save so much weight changing over the set up. Some others are lighter, thats the difference.

Crampons
http://www.bndskigear.com/dynafitcrampons.html

I know you are dropping lots of cash, but if you want comfort
http://www.intuitionliners.com/products3.htm
you will never go back

Barrows will sort you out

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 10:45 am 

The Speed Radical toe pieces weight about 5.5 ozs each (I think that is with the screws). The lighter ones Dynafit has are the Speed Ultralight and Race: these use essentially the same toe piece design, and they weigh about 2.5 ozs each, and are very, very expensive. Unfortunately, I have not been able to convince Dynafit/Salewa North America to sell the toe pieces separately. Because I am a certified weight weenie, I found a set of the Speed Ultralights (complete bindings) on sale, and purchased them with the hope that I could re-sell the heel pieces.

Start with the Speed Radicals from Spark, then, if you really like the system, and have the money, consider the more expensive toe piece options. Plum from France makes a really nice lightweight toe pieces as well, and they do sell them separately, but they are still very, very, expensive.

I do all my riding with the hard set up, so it is worth it to me to have the lighter toe pieces. My plan is to use Quiver Killer inserts (just got these and will be doing the install over the summer) in all my splits so that I can use my single set of Race toe pieces on all my boards. I do not use the Spark adapters, as they just add extra weight, but they are a good idea of you plan on switching back and forth from hard to soft boots.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 3:36 pm 

barrows wrote:
My plan is to use Quiver Killer inserts (just got these and will be doing the install over the summer) in all my splits so that I can use my single set of Race toe pieces on all my boards. I do not use the Spark adapters, as they just add extra weight, but they are a good idea of you plan on switching back and forth from hard to soft boots.

Sweet let us know how this goes. I plan on doing the same. I made my own [quick and dirty] custom Dynafit adapters viewtopic.php?f=16&t=13234

They work fine but of course add weight. I would like to be able to switch from soft boots to hard though so I was not willing to use ski screws for the install. QK seem like a great solution.

That said I am not sure if I will ever use softboots again since the touring performance is so far superior. Plus I am slowly getting my HB setup ride just how I want it to.

Also you [Barrows] have gotten me VERY excited for the new Dyanfit "The One" boot since the TLT5s did not fit my high volume fat foot at all. But we have been over this together 8)

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:21 pm 

wow, thanks for all the advice, guys! y'all must watch these hardboot threads pretty closely!

i felt quite lucky when i put those TLTs on and they felt like they were made for my feet... i kept trying to convince the sales guy that they were too big because "hard boots are supposed to be uncomfortable".

thanks for the link to the "quiver killers"... i love threaded inserts... we had cool ones at my old job that we used for attaching stuff to aluminum tank armor. i also like the idea of choosing the position of the toe piece. it looks like the spark adapter plates move the pivot point forward and i've always wanted it further to the back, as i sometimes have trouble keeping the tips up when i'm skinning.

alias, nice job on the custom adapters... i'm trying to convince my current employer to let me use their machine shop even though i'm not "trained" for it. where do you ride around ithaca? i went to school there and always regale west coast folks with stories of how they salted the runs at greek peak when it got really cold.

i can't wait to get my hardboot setup dialed and go climb some volcanos! been looking at crampons all day... i like the the G12, but moosejaw doesn't have 'em and i have a 25% off coupon there so i think i'm going to go with some petzls. now i just have to decide if the T-cross section front points is worth the extra $28 for the "sarken" model.

is there anyone selling the toe pieces besides spark? my local shop has them for $70 each, which comes in $20 lower than spark for the pair, so they must be cheaper somewhere.....

thanks again!!!!!!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 4:28 pm 

bs. wrote:
alias, nice job on the custom adapters... i'm trying to convince my current employer to let me use their machine shop even though i'm not "trained" for it. where do you ride around ithaca? i went to school there and always regale west coast folks with stories of how they salted the runs at greek peak when it got really cold.

haha thanks- as I said in the thread I did a lot of it by hand and it took a lot more than I thought so I should have just milled them from the start. Having access and knowledge of use in a machine shop is an incredible resource.

Yeah actually that is out of date I am not in Ithaca anymore. Yeah Greek Peak is a nice convenient place to ride but the ice can be brutal. But that's the East Coast! I grew up there and was in CA for 5 years doing the career thing.

Now, like you, I am living out of an RV traveling across America with my wife. We're in Bozeman, MT now. Weather has been in transition and we missed a big snow event this past weekend that also resulted in a big avy here (everyone was ok) near Bridger Bowl. But we heard there was great snow to be had.

Washington is on our radar so if you're willing to meet up and tour with some out of shape splitters we'd love to. I think I also met you at one of the Kali splitfests... maybe not?

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:47 am 

I will be sorting out a hardboot setup this year, maybe not for pow turns but definitely for the more technical days. I've been out with skiers in TLT5's too many times and have been jealous. I did see one of them walk about of automatic crampons on a steep section of neve though and was not envious of that.

I've tried on the TLT5's and found that they are too narrow in the midfoot. I've heard that they can be very difficult to punch out due to the bellows section on the toe but the fit in that part of the foot felt fine to me. Does anyone have any idea how much room can be made in the arch of the foot by a decent boot fitter?

If the TLT5 can't be punched out then my next likely candidate is the One. Has anyone tried it on to know the difference in the last between the One and the TLT5? I've read the WildSnow reviews but it would be interesting to here some split biased talk.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:20 am 

J4: If you get a set up really dialed, you will prefer it for pow as well :wink:

Anyway, here is what I have heard about "The One": The last is based on the last used on the Zzero series of boots, I have a pair of the Zzero 3s, and these have quite a bit more volume than the TLT-5. I think "The One" is likely the best choice for those riders who really feel they cannot get a good fit in the TLT-5. Also, I would probably consider "The One" if I was going on another expedition where I could expect to encounter extreme cold (like -20F or lower) as the TLT-5 may not be warm enough for continuous exposure to extremely low temperatures. Note that the cuff of "The One" is going to be stiffer than the TLT5, so some additionals cuff mods will probably be in order to get the right medial and lateral flex for good snowboarding performance, but, with the right mods, I see no reason why this boot could not be made to perform at a very high level.

PostPosted: Fri Aug 10, 2012 11:21 am 

^^

id say probably 3-5mms more width

one has a DIN sole which actually seems a little safer to me for the plate bindings. seem like a good boot though.

PostPosted: Sat Aug 11, 2012 6:40 am 

christoph benells wrote:
^^

id say probably 3-5mms more width

one has a DIN sole which actually seems a little safer to me for the plate bindings. seem like a good boot though.

Yes that probably is a good thing but it's overall length will be greater making toe and heel drag more of an issue. Especially for people like me that wear a 27.5+. And that's even with a wide board and highish angles of +30 up front +15 in back.

I am VERY excited to give these a shot though as the TLT5s just crushed my wide, high volume feet.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 298 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 6, 7, 8, 9, 10, 11, 12 ... 23  Next