Deprecated: Function set_magic_quotes_runtime() is deprecated in /home/split/public_html/talk/common.php on line 106
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/session.php on line 942: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3545: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3547: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3548: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
[phpBB Debug] PHP Notice: in file /includes/functions.php on line 3549: Cannot modify header information - headers already sent by (output started at /common.php:106)
Splitboard.com Forums • View topic - gecko skins

Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 24, 2014 2:04 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next
 Post subject: Re: gecko skins
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:37 pm 

BGn- Can you post a photo of the tip connection and the tail clip? Sounds like they will change in the future, but a friend here has the Geckos for her skis and the tail clip for the skis is a little weird. Just curious what the style of the splitboard looks like in its first incarnation.

TIA

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 4:34 am 

The Geckos cost in Europe (Germany) 169,- euros. My first set of Gecko splitboard skins came without their tail clip. I cut those to the exact shape of my Burton S-Series splitboard from tip to very tail and I am using them without the clips.
The Burton S-Series has a metal part on tip and tail on the base. As the geckos don't stick to metal well, I always skin with a small "peeled off" part on the tail of the skin. I have never had issues with the tail part coming off the base or causing any problems, so my opinion is that the tail clip is absolutely obsolete on Gecko skins.

I tried the Gecko skins on all kind of snow: powder, corn, frozen corn, iced snow, crust, wet corn, normal snow, groomers and did not have any problems with the skin. It sticks to the base absolutely perfect in any temperature and condition and has excellent grip. There is no way I would go back to glue skins.
The second set of Gecko splitboard skins for my girlfriend came with the Freeride ski tail clips, but I did not install them on the skins and the skins also work great on the same type of board with the steel tail.

I don't use any kind of cheat sheet with the gecko skins as they can be separated with two fingers, but I noticed that on some small parts the sticky material of the skin came off and stayed on the other half of the skin. As these are only few (3-4) small spots on the skins it has no influence on the overall adhesiveness of the skin.

Some pictures of the "peeled off" tail on the top of the mountain:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:01 am 

BG's didn't come with tail clips so he used sparks tail clips. The front looks similar to the BD's but is raised a little to clear the board clips. Might have been a mod, but they look perfect. It actually pisses me off to hear him pull his skins apart with such ease as I struggle with mine :lol:

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:50 am 

Anyone here tried the new Race Splitboard skins? They're red, and apparently lighter, with more glide, and uncompromised grip, according to a rep. They won't have anymore of the regular splitboard skins (black) in until next year.

Also, anybody have troubles using on a longer board? I plan on using on a 182, however the dimensions say 140mm x 150cm. It does say that they will fit splitboards up to 190cm, however it also says that a Jones Solution 161 used 137cm of skin for "maximum coverage and a perfect custom fit." Going by that, I would only have an extra 13cm of skin to work with, and an extra 21cm of board, not accounting for the fact that every Jones I've seen, including my Hovercraft, has measured a few cms shorter than advertised.

Thanks in advance for any info.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 9:59 am 

Was out on the weekend with a friend who had a set of next seasons skins. Lighter than the Geckos I've previously seen. All mohair I believe.
He was stoked, and they were a great 'hot pink' colour.

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:11 pm 

I have a pair of the new red rando-race Gecko splitboard models. I have fewer than 10 days on them, but so far I am impressed. They are effortless to pull apart, adhere to the base very well, and so far have not wetted out and lost their stick despite some very warm, wet days of refrozen corn and rain mush.

I have tail clips on all my skins, either Sparks or home made copies of the Sparks. The weights (for a single skin with tail clip hardware) are as follows:

Black Diamond Ascension / Voile Tractor splitboard 357g
G3 Alpinist splitboard 319g
Gecko Race splitboard 333g

So the Gecko weight sort of splits the diff between the BDs and the G3s. I cannot offer any deep insight into glide yet because the only way I can really nail that down is to tour a couple of days with one skin of each type on my skis for a real-time comparison. Anything else, imho, is too subjective. They don't seem any slower than the other skins though. And the Geckos do climb very well. I have been able to claw up all my usual slopes with no problems. So far they combat wetting of the plush amazingly well even in extremely wet conditions, but that will wear off with time, I suspect.

Nice skins. I may get a set for my wife.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 5:33 pm 

Awesome, thanks for the review, and especially the weight. I had been wondering what they weighed in comparison to the other options.

Did you trim the ends of the skins at all, or is that as long as they came?

Also, does the tip connect to the Karakoram tip clip or am I just seeing things?

PostPosted: Thu May 03, 2012 7:00 pm 

That is the full, stock 150cm length. I only trimmed them to width. They are on a Jones Solution 163w in that pic (which measures 160cm). I have also used them on my Venture Zephyr 164 and Prior Khyber 165 and the Geckos fit all the boards well with the tail clip mounting point well behind the tail transition, so the tail strap attachment point is off the snow when skinning.

The tip loop does not interact with the K hook in any meaningful way. The outward bend in the loop is just there to clear the board's tip hardware.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 1:50 pm 

Mine came in the 170cm length 14cm width and trimmed exactly to the shape of Burton S-Series 164 (see pictures above) they weight 300g each. I don't use tail clips.

PostPosted: Sun May 13, 2012 9:27 pm 

I can (mostly) echo all of the above. I won a pair of Gecko skins at the Silverton Splitfest, they just arrived and are the red race plush. I'm still assembling my setup and likely won't get to try them out until next fall. According to Ian from Gecko, the race plush skins are 13% lighter than the previous materials. Also, they will be changing their tip fixtures for next fall, Ian generously gave me the option to wait until the newest version was ready (which I didn't).
I did tour on the black Geckos at the splitfest and had some problems with the tails coming off, but this was a very icy skin and I'm a total newb. They probably came unstuck during the repeated falling... In any case, I will be putting tail fixtures on these new skins, just in case.

PostPosted: Mon May 14, 2012 10:53 am 

Still working great. They fold tiny, are a pleasure to put on and take off, and grip very well. Still no wetting-out issues, and while one of my buds was icing up yesterday the Geckos stayed clean. The tip hooks do tend to migrate sideways in their brackets, but it is easy enough to push them back to center, and the ability to adjust the skin's lateral position relative to the tip hook is actually nice.

Mid-May and we are still getting modest pow dumps. :clap:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed May 16, 2012 7:50 am 

One thing I am noticing is that the Geckos leave a sticky film on my base. It is a thin, gooey film just like what is on the skins. I can smear it around with my finger, but it has a high affinity for my base and does not wipe off with a rag. I will have to try some base cleaner at some point. At least it does not seem to affect my glide much.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Sep 09, 2012 11:20 pm 

Looks like this may be a consistent problem?

----> http://www.wildsnow.com/6281/gecko-skins-review/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 110 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9  Next