Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Nov 01, 2014 4:50 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Lightweight Magnetraction
PostPosted: Thu Apr 26, 2012 2:08 pm 

:scratch: :oops: :roll: :clap: :guinness: :doobie: :banghead: :cry: :deadhorse: :soapbox: :drinks: :poke: :duel: :band: :band: :band: :puke: In summary....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:49 am 

If I was looking to own a very specific board, focused on corn snow and frozen corn performance for snowboard mountaineering I would be very tempted to DIY split one of these:

http://www.kessler-swiss.com/en-US/prod ... rd/theRide

In the appropriate size. The Kessler is not going to have any issues with edge grip, and a well done DIY job will be very lightweight. I figure in those conditions an inside edge will not matter much, as one would likely be carrying ski crampons anyway.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 2:28 pm 

I ride Kessler race boards on groom and love them. Edge hold is phenomenal. Hans Kessler is just an incredible board builder as the number of BX, PSL, and PGS races won on his boards will confirm.

Bola carried the Ride this year. Did you see one in his shop Barrows?

I have a Kessler Ride sitting on my board rack but have not had a chance to try it. Cost could be an issue, but my main concern is that it has significant camber which might cause issues in some corn season snow conditions. Some riders would probably enjoy the camber though.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 3:17 pm 

Yup, checked out the Kessler Ride at Bola's shop. If I had any interest in riding resorts anymore, I would seriously consider this board, and I suspect that it would do very well as a specialized corn snow and frozen corn (just 'cause it does not always thaw!) board. I too love riding rocker boards these days, but in pure corn I do not think the camber would bother me, as I prefer predominantly carving if I am riding mellow angle corn, and the sidecut is long enough that it should be easy to control the edge sliding in and out of turns on the steeps. The Ride has significant taper as well, so it is probably easy to release the tail if desired, despite the camber.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:00 pm 

I've always like the looks of the 176 Kessler Ride - longish sidecut, aggressive taper, cambered -- my kind of board. Buell / Barrows, do either of you know what the geometric configuration of Kessler's variable radius sidecut is (progressive, regressive, etc.)? While it's obviously been carefully thought out, it's never been apparent to me from reading their website.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 6:17 pm 

Barrows, my Prior has some camber but it is much less than the Ride. Here in the NW corn season we often have long mellow stretches on the way down through the trees (very technical riding because if the melted out tree wells) and suncups. Usually it is slushy by that time and I find camber really creates issues with the nose and tail grabbing the very irregular snow surface. For the fun part of the corn riding, aside from really steep (where you do not want the rebound), the camber should be fine.

Taylor, Kessler does not offer much info about the sidecut pattern. I used to know a lot more about the sidecut patterns of my carve boards. Once I went to Kessler, they just work, and I have no need to ask about his magic. Bola would know something about it or you could alway email Kessler and they would likely be more specific.

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 7:58 pm 

Buell,
would you consider having Prior manufacture the deck using their carbon technology, it may bring the weight down to sub 6lbs volcano-board. The ride will change though??

Also, have you weighed that green-machine?????

PostPosted: Wed May 09, 2012 9:58 pm 

I would definitely look into it. Light weight is really nice on big days. I am not sure how the ride would change but if the carbon version had more feedback, I would want some dampening to handle the times when the slope is still frozen (that might add some weight back). I would also have them add a bit more taper than the stock 4mm while I was at it. Keeping the mods pretty simple is a good thing with custom Priors.

I have not weighed it.