Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 12:24 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next
 Post subject: Re: 2011/2012 Utah snow and avalanche conditions
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 3:23 pm 

I know this is super short notice, but it dawned on me it snowed a bit today and last night. Anyone up for a dusk tour?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:40 pm 

From the rainy soggy valley to afternoon blower bluebird pow pow...started at about 6pm, snow was holding up well on Scotties Bowl...Over the head blower up top and little heavy down low, but I wouldn't call it manky by any means...great turns and no crust!!

some nice views from up top

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:52 pm 

One in done in the cirque. Pretty good out there. A little sticky on the way out a cold clear night might improve things for tomorrow.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 9:06 am 

Throwing this out there for anyone who wants to join a buddy and I. Planning on hitting the Deseret Peak Couloirs in a week and a half. I can't this weekend due to running a marathon. Hoping to hit all three in 1 day. Will have to start early. Currently, looking out of my office window, they are good to go with plenty of snow. I had someone from work do some recon and the gate is closed at the boy scout camp ground so the hike in won't be terrible.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 24, 2012 11:35 pm 

Logan,

What day are you thinking? If it's sunday, I'd be down. Do you think crampons/ice axe going to be necessary?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 10:43 am 

Snowvols wrote:
Throwing this out there for anyone who wants to join a buddy and I. Planning on hitting the Deseret Peak Couloirs in a week and a half. I can't this weekend due to running a marathon. Hoping to hit all three in 1 day. Will have to start early. Currently, looking out of my office window, they are good to go with plenty of snow. I had someone from work do some recon and the gate is closed at the boy scout camp ground so the hike in won't be terrible.
http://jasondorais.blogspot.com/2012/04/deseret-peak-with-split-boarders.html

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:33 pm 

Snurfer wrote:
Snowvols wrote:
http://jasondorais.blogspot.com/2012/04/deseret-peak-with-split-boarders.html

I've been dreaming of splitting that ever since hiking the peak last summer. Anybody still splitting these days?

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 8:20 am 

Some still split: We went to Cold Fusion on Timp yesterday. Long walk in; a bike approach would work well now. Not enough snow on the trail to skin, until near the North Chutes. I didn't top out, but wasatchsurf and Jason M did, and reported firm and icy at top. Bottom half of chute was nicely soft during our late exit. The chute was filled in, a couple rubble patches but fairly smooth, rideable all the way down to the access trail. There is a decent sized recent slab avy in Woolly Hole below the Grunge. Grunge still looks filled in top to bottom. North chutes/Pinball Alleys have slid, apron is moderately rubbley. No wet slide activity witnessed yesterday, as temps didn't get too high on the north slopes with on/off clouds. This was my first time out riding in the Wasatch since Feb, rehabbing my shoulder/rib, nice to be out thx Dan and Jason!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:27 am 

WhitePine wrote:
I've been dreaming of splitting that ever since hiking the peak last summer. Anybody still splitting these days?
Nope, I figure if I have to walk/bike I want to be in shorts putting in training miles, and I certainly don't want to risk injury in the middle of race season (BTW sorry to hear about the shoulder BC, glad you're on the mend).

Anyways, props to all you snow crackheads for contnuing to get after it :headbang: stay safe and have a fantastic summer! :guinness:

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:45 am 

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 11:48 am 

Mmmm... Artisan.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 7:25 pm 

I've been fishing more than splitboarding and it's been good!

My parents came down from ID and I got them into some fish.

yours truly with a spring rainbow

My mom and Lars the dog watching her first brown trout swim away. not a bad start!

Pops throwing some nymphs

Like Buckchow said we went and did cold fusion yesterday. super fun to finally check this one off of the list. we walked in from the gate and followed the road vs. taking bear canyon. google earth says we did about 14 miles, so that puts cold fusion at about a 6.5-7 mile approach right now. it was fun to get out for a long day and fun to tour with bucky and jason again!

Cold Fusion is the obvious line on the lookers right
Photo Stolen from Summitpost

Timp/Grunge in the morning

Bucky on the march in.

Jason getting a glimpse of cold fusion

Jason pulling into the top with the central wasatch behind

Looking NE, the parking lot is on the elbow in the road, center of photo. Long way to walk out.

Pano

the ride down was interesting and the walk out was mentally experimental as I was running on less than two hours of sleep and this literally took us all day. Still it was fun to put our adventure panties on and do something new.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 10:10 pm 

wasatch surf wrote:
Still it was fun to put our adventure panties on and do something new.

Nice work gentlemen!!! Way to get after it!

http://www.splitboardeducationcompany.com

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 344 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 21, 22, 23, 24, 25, 26, 27  Next