Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 02, 2014 10:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Travis Rice Split
PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:37 am 

The K clips themselves can offer a little adjustment (aka, "slop"). Loosen both K clip bolt sets a little and rotate the clips as far apart as possible, so that the bail on one board half moves away from the catch on the other half. Snug the bolts down again, but make sure the clips don't rotate back where they were- the act of tightening tends to rotate them.

Now check to see if you have improved matters. Closing the K clips may pull them back into their old positions, but if you can determine that there is enough rotation in them to solve your issue, then it is just a matter of putting a tiny amount of JB Weld on the base of the bolt where it passes through the K clip to eat up the slop. Once the epoxy hardens, it will hold the clips in the far-apart positions.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 11:46 am 

philip.ak wrote:
The K clips themselves can offer a little adjustment (aka, "slop"). Loosen both K clip bolt sets a little and rotate the clips as far apart as possible, so that the bail on one board half moves away from the catch on the other half. Snug the bolts down again, but make sure the clips don't rotate back where they were- the act of tightening tends to rotate them.

Now check to see if you have improved matters. Closing the K clips may pull them back into their old positions, but if you can determine that there is enough rotation in them to solve your issue, then it is just a matter of putting a tiny amount of JB Weld on the base of the bolt where it passes through the K clip to eat up the slop. Once the epoxy hardens, it will hold the clips in the far-apart positions.

i appreciate this, and i have tried this already. it did take out a little slop, but not enough.
kind of think if these clips aren't tight it totally defeats the purpose and am really disapointed because i love my solid t.rice and was really looking forward to this split.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 3:04 pm 

The next thing to do is start adding wraps of a strip of good quality electrical tape around the bail to increase its diameter. I did this on my Jones and it made a huge difference in how tight the K clips felt. The tape held up well too, and after 10 days on the mountain it was still doing its job. Finally, bending the catch that the bail hooks into back a tiny bit could help too, though this would be my last resort.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:01 pm 

Ah that's a good idea, thanks.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 25, 2012 1:04 am 

fyi, hardware real similar to the K-clips are sold as "straight loop" "draw", "drawing", "over center" or "compression" latches. They are used to hold things shut under tension, like aluminum cases with rubber gaskets for waterproofing and that sort of thing. I've bought them a bunch over the years and they run $5-10 each. So you might just find a shorter sized latch of similar strength and put it on there. I don't know how you'd determine the strength but I'm sure the manufacturer could tell you. The hole spacing seems to be fairly standard from what I can tell replacing them over the years.

I have some burly ones kicking around and they look pretty much the same as the latches on my board.

eta: be careful though. In my experience the latches are usually stronger than whatever you attach them to.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 28, 2012 4:01 pm 

is the trice 164.5 true to form length wise? I've been a huge fan of this board in a solid 161.5 and now im on the fence about dropping duckets on a lib split... im thinking of going up a few cm's but I know these boards have massive volume in the twin tip nose/tail....so what Im asking is, going up won't make the board feel like a boat for a 5'11 180 rider?