Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Sep 01, 2014 12:19 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: poor comunication with splitboarding related companies?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 1:28 pm 

I have written to four different companies and not recieved replies, other than after I wrote again asking if my emails had been recieved to be told they would get in touch as soon as possible, to never hear from them again. To make things more frustrating, these same companies do not list a phone number on their site, nor was I able to to find one using yellowpages.
What's the story here? I want to buy gear and these guys are basically putting me off it.
I have already decided to build my own boards and have ordered material for 5 boards to experiment with, all for less than the cost of one custom board...

It is really slack.

Post subject: Re: poor comunication with splitboarding related companies?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:02 pm 

Jomas wrote:
What's the story here? I want to buy gear and these guys are basically putting me off it.

That's a good question. I emailed a small local splitboard manufacturer twice and got no response. I literally told them that I had a $1000 burning a hole in my pocket, liked buying local, and asked if their product would be available for purchase during the coming season. I got no responses and took this to mean that they didn't expect to have any splits available this season. Turns out they were actually in production, but I had no way of knowing and my $1000 went to a competitor who DID answer an email.

I understand people are busy, but fkna it takes so little time to answer an email sent by someone waving money in your face.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:06 pm 

From working in a shop I find the communication with brands varied, some people are super fast at getting back and others just take their sweet ass time!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:28 pm 

Jomas, it might help to know what you were asking about?

I have had good communication with many splitboard companies, but do remember that many of these operations have one or two folks that look at their e-mails, and are going to be obliged to respond to dealer inquiries first (if they sell through dealers). There may not be enough hours in the day for them to respond to every every e-mail, especially if the information requested is readily available elsewhere. Also, the fact is that often e-mails do not get through, get lost in serverdom somewhere, or in spam.

I am curious how you got your hands on a core profiler, and a board press for less than $1000 though :-) ?

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:40 pm 

I'm talking about three small time shops and one big name, which was Jones who never got back to me. The others were situations very much like stagger Lee mentioned, want to buy from a small company, talk to the people, get advise...spend money on a small business.

BTW, I didn't say I purchased up the equipment to build snowboards for less than $1000, I said I got the materials for 5 snowboards for less than a custom board (about $500). I will build a press and shape cores myself...I have the equipment and materials as well as the experience with similar materials and processes, which is what lead me to decide to try it out for myself. Nothing to do with the money involved, just the satisfaction and freedom to experiment.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 3:59 pm 

I have not tried to ever contact Jones. But I have had contact with quite a few of the smaller builders/companies: Chimera, Wagner Custom, furberg, Venture, Spark, Karakoram, and all have been quite responsive, especially considering how small they are, and that these companies typically do not have full time customer service people to respond to customer inquiries.
In any case, I hope that your board building goes well, and look forward to seeing what you come up with.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 11:53 am 

Jomas wrote:
I will build a press and shape cores myself...I have the equipment and materials as well as the experience with similar materials and processes, which is what lead me to decide to try it out for myself.

So, you went to established small board companies and asked for advice on how to build your own stuff? Would you walk into a mechanic's shop, who had never met you, and ask questions about how to fix your car that broke down in their parking lot? Would you expect the mechanic to be very willing to discuss that with you?

Despite the marketting, snowboarding companies do not exist soley to "promote the stoke", "empower the steeze" or whatever other catchphrase the cool kids are using these days. They are in it to make money and any newcomer can be seen as a threat, even though you may not intend to be one.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 2:38 pm 

splittilps you missread my posts.

I said I wrote to these companies trying to buy a snowboard they build.

However due to the lack of responses I decided I would build one myself.

I have a lot of experience with custom built goods and I know that when you start with poor comunication it can be a recipe for long term frustration, dissatisfaction and compromise.

I never asked anyone for any advice on building snowboards, where did you get that from?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:45 pm 

You should build 7 splitboards, one for every day of the week :disco:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 7:50 am 

I've had WAY above-average dealings with Spark, Voile and Winterstick.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 8:22 am 

Karakouram is super good about getting back to you. Jones on the otherhand I understand your anger try facebooking them seams you get a response that way.

Karakouram Split30s
2010 mutes

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:28 am 

Please remember that Splitboard manufacturers are setup to sell to retailers and then retailers sell to consumers. Many snowboard companies will not even sell directly to a consumer. With that said; I have always received fantastic service from companies in the Splitboard business, much better than a traditional ski/snowboard company! :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 11:24 am 

Sure Pedro, I am in fact not surprised that Jones never got back to me, but the companies I am talking about are "boutique" board builders who do sell to the public.
As is happened one did get back to me right after I posted this, I don't know if it was a coincedence or if they read the forum.

I'm glad in the end, that it motivated me to take this project in to my own hands.