Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 12:40 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: tales of a cascadian weekend warrior
PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:36 am 

You guys kill'in mountain goats and stick'em on the grill? Curious slab of meat. I am bummed I never made it to the surprise stronghold so your photos will have to be my visit. I am waiting for next years upgrade with the spa and all.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 11:52 am 

Kiwi.

Nice ending shot for sure. And a damn tasty hunk O' flesh at that.

Was an awesome pow filled winter. Too many best days ever. It was great to share many of them with you Ben.

And now for spring touring season......

P.s. cave will prolly not melt out til late july sometime. Prolly head up once or twice during the spring to check it out.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 9:34 pm 

It has been great following this thread over the season. Thanks!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 4:57 pm 

spicoli11 wrote:
Curious slab of meat

pork shoulder!! it's a great cut for smokin' because all that tough connective tissue breaks down and bastes the meat from the inside out! spicoli i can't believe i haven't run into you on the mountain yet... we are gonna have to meet one of these days!

i was all sentimental when i wrote that last post... i've had a really fun winter and learned a lot, grew a lot as a snowboarder. i was about to post some more pictures to this thread, but i think i like my original idea of letting it end with the season. i really did want those pictures on the last page, though....

bs. wrote:
all good things must come to an end, and my first winter in the cascades is no exception. i know that technically, winter ended a few weeks ago, but yet in my mind, nothing was different, for i was still chasing storms and seeking out cold winter snow.

but watching the storms get warmer and wetter, and knowing that i'll be out of town this coming weekend, i figured that last weekend was my final chance this season to ride top to bottom runs of true pow. so i did my best to capitalize.

friday seemed like a good day to check out crystal for the first time. and i was lucky enough to have a top notch tour guide.

the snow was deep, and the tracks were fresh...

...but soon we ventured outside the resort.

nothing concludes a full day of lift-riding better than a few hours of touring!

kyle is still not sick of riding pow.

i heard scott was planning to close up the surprise cave, so i bounced up to steven's pass saturday morning. man this place looks different after a season of snow!

digging deep to find the entrance.

the cave entrance tunnel grew with each storm. at some point it developed a right angle turn. shoulders and elbows are useful for traction on the way up.

after a nice lunch of rye whiskey there was time for an evening tour in the perpetual snowstorm that always starts as soon as i get to camp.

amazingly, the sun came out around 6pm, just as we were getting ready to ride.

it was tough breaking trail in the dense, sticky new snow, so we picked a line that was short and steep.

a clear night... good for drunkenly jumping off the top of "cave rock".

strange lawn art.

one last cave dinner.

and time for bed.

sunday morning... too much new snow to ride safely, and yesterday's skin track is buried. let's head home.

the new snow was so heavy that scott opted to split ski the exit descent.

we made it out by 1 and contemplated going for a lap or two on heather ridge... but opted to get a growler and go fire up the bbq instead. after all, winter's over...

it's been a good one... (at least to the extent that is possible while working full time). many thanks to all the great northwesterners that i've met this winter; i am forever grateful to all of you for showing me around your mountains and resorts. i look forward to calling the cascades my home and enjoying all the great spring alpine riding that is about to begin!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 20, 2012 9:46 am 

Ah... pork shoulder..yum. I was hoping you guys killed a marmot or something. I've been fairly snoqualmie centric this year..no need to drive far with all the powder this season. Looking foreword to getting out this spring with you guys. I am heading over to the olys if you are interested. Thanks for posting up the pics over the season!