Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Nov 23, 2014 9:12 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: THE CREST
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 8:02 pm 

April 16, 2012

Mammoth Crest. The Crest. Crest Crest Crest. This tour took place on Monday, April 16: the crest of a new week. My favorite toothpaste is Crest. When I learned that Mila Kunis and Macaulay Culkin called it quits, I was crestfallen. CREST CREST CREST CREST CREST.

The Mammoth Crest gets lots of snow, so in lean years it's a good go-to spot to ride powder. Let's just say I've spent a lot of time on the Crest this year and leave it at that. Don't get me wrong, the terrain is spectacular, just sometimes the slog-to-vert ratio feels a bit off, but hey, no dirt or core shots.

I've had lots of good pow days up there this year, but this one was exceptional in that I took pictures and actually have some OK action shots of snowboarders riding snow. Also the conditions were excellent, the weather was nice, the company was delightful, and the lines were simply crest-tacular. Anyway, since I have some (decidedly non-professional) photos I thought I'd write a trip report.

We headed to the top of Hamil Bowl. There isn't really an easy way to the top of the Crest in this area, but the snow was really good for booting the steep last section to the top.

CREST!

Party turns all the way down to the lake where we refueled before heading back up.

Cruising back up our skin track. The plan was to head east along the top of the crest past Ship's Prow (a prominent rock formation) and try to get into some slightly gnarlier terrain. Props to Floyd, who I met for the first time at the trailhead, for pinning that little chute on the right. Pretty hairball entrance. :guinness:

This area generates some monster cornices, kinda like the Dana Plateau I guess, and it was fun to peak into chutes and admire the snow and wind's handiwork. Some of the entrances that looked like the might work from below were definite no-goes from the top.

Floyd and I rode this. Steep with a little bit of exposure and some sluff, my heart rate kicked up when I did the first jump turn and free-fell through the air for 10 feet.

Conditions haven't been the greatest for riding steep stuff around here this year, so I was stoked to ride this chute, even if I didn't ride it perfectly.

Eric and Matt opted for this.

Looks OK from below, but when you're on top reality sets in.

Nice little feature.

It's fun riding with young rippers who haven't been splitboarding long enough to have forgotten how to straightline or how to air things out :wink:. They're certainly not going to let a little bit of debris prevent them from charging.

Contemplating the meaning of life (beer and pizza? sex, drugs, and rock & roll?), the exit turns, and the long slog out. Good times, and one of the better days in the Mammoth Lakes Basin this year.

CREST! :guinness:

Post subject: Re: THE CREST
PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:03 am 

Great photos!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 2:13 pm 

Righteous shots! Are you doconboards on the mammoth forums?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 6:46 pm 

nice, thanks for the sick TR! Great to see some east side action...

question is when will the corn cycle commence?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 5:58 am 

I love the crest. red Cone bowl in particular. Thats where my avitar was shot (thanks noknees) . there have been a lot of forum members led out that long slog. Most come back with a grin

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 7:44 am 

Jbaysurfer, that's not me on that other forum. This is the only alias I'm using at the moment :wink: . Maybe we'll start getting a corn cycle after this warm-up? In the meantime there might be some wet slides and wet slabs to keep an eye out for...

I love the crest, I just wish someone would pick me up in a CAT at the end of the day and drive me back to the cars. :guinness:

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 8:51 am 

UPGRAYEDD_2505 wrote:
I love the crest, I just wish someone would pick me up in a CAT at the end of the day and drive me back to the cars. :guinness:

Good stuff man, wouldn't be splitboarding without the occasional death march back to the car/trailhead. We had a good one on Saturday :scratch:

I was still in town on Monday, wish I'd rallied for some Lake Mary love!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 9:51 am 

UPGRAYEDD_2505 wrote:
Jbaysurfer, that's not me on that other forum. This is the only alias I'm using at the moment :wink: . Maybe we'll start getting a corn cycle after this warm-up? In the meantime there might be some wet slides and wet slabs to keep an eye out for...

Trust me when I say I'll be an early as possible adopter of the KK heel locks. Skating out of that place w/ no skins would save me a bunch of time. There's already a section where I make an extra transition back to board mode and pole out with the "boatrow" maneuvre.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 19, 2012 1:19 pm 

Looks like a great trip on the crest. Definitely some strong lines to be ridden up there. Eric and Matt's looked especially burly. Maybe not the most vert for the approach, but it does deliver consistently and gives you a taste of everything, including a long slog out.. ;)

And yes, Tex, I still have fond memories of working Red Cone that day.... Classic....

As for the heal locks, I'm in line too. No one likes looking like Bambi learning to walk while trying to split ski through manky conditions after a full day's work.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 30, 2012 9:32 am 

Sorry for bumping up this old TR, but I just saw that Eric put together some video from this day so I thought I'd put a link to it here. Skip ahead to about 3:40 if you want to see what the lines in this thread look like from above. He did a nice job of editing to the music, etc. so it's worth checking out. Hey, it's summer, what else are you going to do?

Have a great autumn. :guinness:

http://youtu.be/uGJJAWJrIak