Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 3:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Hardboot setup? Why?
PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:11 am 

he was riding BD slant boots w/ mountain plates (kinda low end for pro athletes?) in the denali expidition. the vid is on youtube. to me it looked like his set up was put together by zellers, he is riding the same boots in the footage.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:22 am 

Thanks Christoph. TB told me that Jim Z. uses the women's model of the BD boot (he has small feet...) which apparently has a softer flex, evenso, I would not expect a boot like this to be anywhere near as flexible as something like even a stock TLT5.
IMO, the TLT5 is a totally different animal, the only other boots I know which might be close in flexibility are earlier models of the TLT (and MLT) series, and the Scarpa F1.
I am not surprised that Lucas found this boot to be funky in terms of riding performance.
I'll try and find th vid next time I have a high speed connection.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 11:59 am 

if people havent seen a tlt in person, its true, its a different animal. there is much, much less materials put into the tlt.

i was shocked at how small the tlt's when i saw em.

i did some pretend carpet runs in some bd quadrants (flex 120) put in a race plate mod, and they didnt feel too bad in walk mode.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:29 pm 

Yah, I got to examine a TLT in-person for the first time last night--the carbon version, not the mountain version. They are shockingly compact and lightweight--far more so than any other plastic boot I've seen, and so much so that one wonders how there is enough liner to insulate adequately (which they obviously do). Sort of an engineering marvel in my opinion.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 12:45 pm 

Barrows:
Quote:
I would not expect a boot like this to be anywhere near as flexible as something like even a stock TLT5.
IMO, the TLT5 is a totally different animal, the only other boots I know which might be close in flexibility are earlier models of the TLT (and MLT) series, and the Scarpa F1.

Perhaps we should come up with our own boot-name or acronym, that adequately describes the AT boots you mention for splitboarding, instead of the word phrase hard boots. Hard boots implies stiff carving boots, which is not what we are really talking about here.

Well at least ancronym would be fodder for this post. :wink:

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 1:57 pm 

Word.. and cool saying for stickers, like, 'you are only as hard as your boots'....

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 2:48 pm 

LOL!

"It takes a hard man (or woman) to ride hard boots"

Honestly yes, the difference between something like a TLT5 and a Scarpa Laser, or a freecarve snowboard hard boot is enormous. The TLT5, even stock, is much closer in stiffness to a Driver X than it is to a freecarve snowboard boot.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:12 pm 

It's interesting to me how much you compare the TLT5 to the Driver X. I'm riding Drivers right now and I have felt like they are too soft from day 1 even with the plastic tongue in place. I'm riding them in very soft bindings (Malavitas) but I usually like the way the binding rolls. I'd really like to be able to try out TLT5s with bombers (or make my own plates that roll on an axle and is sprung with rubber cones) but it's a big investment to make (~$700+?) just to try it. I might go for it if next fall if the new Dynafits in the One series fit my foot better than the TLT5. I'd really like step in crampons, a real walk mode, the sidehill performance, and the weight advantage.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:14 pm 

"i like my boots like i like my drinks, STIFF!"

PostPosted: Tue Apr 17, 2012 3:16 pm 

Jason4 wrote:
It's interesting to me how much you compare the TLT5 to the Driver X. I'm riding Drivers right now and I have felt like they are too soft from day 1 even with the plastic tongue in place. I'm riding them in very soft bindings (Malavitas) but I usually like the way the binding rolls. I'd really like to be able to try out TLT5s with bombers (or make my own plates that roll on an axle and is sprung with rubber cones) but it's a big investment to make (~$700+?) just to try it. I might go for it if next fall if the new Dynafits in the One series fit my foot better than the TLT5. I'd really like step in crampons, a real walk mode, the sidehill performance, and the weight advantage.

My Driver Xs are from a few years back. I have hand flexed this years, and they do seem quite a bit softer than mine. Seems like Burton has softened them up a little to me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 11:41 am 

barrows,
What modifications do the TLT5's need?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 18, 2012 12:34 pm 

moridinbg wrote:
barrows,
What modifications do the TLT5's need?

See the TLT5 thread in the boots forum for details, there is no need to repeat everything here.