Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:02 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: MTNAPPROACH pro team has some heavy hitters
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 2:59 pm 

classicauto wrote:
Im not saying weight doesn't matter at all...but 5lbs either way is really splitting hairs for most average sized people.

If 5lbs did make that much of a difference, wouldn't you be killed if you did a big hike using an airbag pack? I mean - you've added that weight right?

A bigger difference in how tired you are for the decent is what kidn of shape you're in. I spent my AK trip doggin' it mostly because my friend was slower then I am. I would carry more wieght everyday - and sometimes pieces of his gear - and still be truckin' on past him. Cardio is way way more essential than a few lbs + or -

Classic: You are not making a point. Of course fitness is important, I train all the time. That said, the less weight you carry, the more you can get done, period. Look at how successful alpine climbers obsess at every ounce of weight carried, and yes, they are very fit dudes. A few pounds over the course of a full day can make the difference between 5000' and 7000 of vert.
I am not suggesting people should pay no attention to fitness, I am suggesting that you should be as fit as possible, AND carry as little weight as possible, to get the most enjoyment out of self powered mountain sports. Of course, if all your partners are totally unfit and you have to wait for them, perhaps weight does not matter to you. If my partners were that unfit, and I would either demand that they train, or not go out with them: an unfit partner who does not have enough energy to keep up is certainly going to be of little help when the shit hits the fan...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:36 pm 

Splitboarding is not dialed, Mtn Approach is new, and if u refute either side of that your lying to yourself, and all the elephants in the room. I rode some sixty odd days in the backcountry this year (mostly sled assisted) and used a split sometimes and my approach skiis others, bottom line I was riding in the backcountry not on the internet. So i'll be looking for another six pages of pointless comments from unqualified, uneducated users. by the time I am done with another pow line - these intraweb chat deals are funny

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:58 pm 

barrows wrote:
Classic: You are not making a point. Of course fitness is important, I train all the time. That said, the less weight you carry, the more you can get done, period. Look at how successful alpine climbers obsess at every ounce of weight carried, and yes, they are very fit dudes. A few pounds over the course of a full day can make the difference between 5000' and 7000 of vert.
I am not suggesting people should pay no attention to fitness, I am suggesting that you should be as fit as possible, AND carry as little weight as possible, to get the most enjoyment out of self powered mountain sports. Of course, if all your partners are totally unfit and you have to wait for them, perhaps weight does not matter to you. If my partners were that unfit, and I would either demand that they train, or not go out with them: an unfit partner who does not have enough energy to keep up is certainly going to be of little help when the shit hits the fan...

MY point is, your body changes by + or - 5lbs throughout the course of the day, if 5lbs is stopping you from reaching your goal then your problem is fitness, not the extra weight.

Yes, weight matters. Yes, fitness being equal you'll go farther with less weight.

But minor weights like this aren't going to be a game changer for your hike or your ride. Hell, the first time I ever rode with backpack full of stuff years ago it only took a few turns to get used to it.

My question still stands though about the airbag pack - if you had one, would the extra weight hold you back from your goals? Or would you overcome the minor difference after a day or two out?

Its pointless to argue this though because I know for me, it makes little difference. I'm sure there's others that think the same that are just biting their tounge - I'm off for a hike!

EDIT: BTW I'm maybe blowing the difference between my partner and I out of proportion. He's fit - we just have different paces, and having a little extra weight on me didn't make a truly noticeable change in my own pace.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:42 pm 

SpencerC wrote:
Splitboarding is not dialed, Mtn Approach is new, and if u refute either side of that your lying to yourself, and all the elephants in the room. I rode some sixty odd days in the backcountry this year (mostly sled assisted) and used a split sometimes and my approach skiis others, bottom line I was riding in the backcountry not on the internet. So i'll be looking for another six pages of pointless comments from unqualified, uneducated users. by the time I am done with another pow line - these intraweb chat deals are funny

1 post wonder company shills are funny ;)

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:50 am 

Classic: I am not trying to argue with you, what I am saying, is that everything else being equal, carrying significantly less weight will result in more fun, simple as that.

On the airbag pack: there is no question that the extra weight of the airbag pack is a hindrance (once again, everything else being equal). And one of the reasons that I do not yet have one is that I am waiting for them to be more refined and to get the weight minimized. Carrying an airbag pack will be a compromise because of the extra weight, but it is the one piece of equipment which could save one's life if one makes a critical mistake and gets caught in a slide-one will likely have more fun if alive than dead, so in this sense, the extra weight is worth it, to me.

Now, to the topic: is the extra weight of carrying the Mt Approach skis, and a board worth it? For me, the answer is no. The Mt Approach system offers no advantages for my riding, and for my riding terrain, and only offers additional weight.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:55 am 

"Splitboarding is not dialed, Mtn Approach is new, and if u refute either side of that your lying to yourself, and all the elephants in the room. I rode some sixty odd days in the backcountry this year (mostly sled assisted) and used a split sometimes and my approach skiis others, bottom line I was riding in the backcountry not on the internet. So i'll be looking for another six pages of pointless comments from unqualified, uneducated users. by the time I am done with another pow line - these intraweb chat deals are funny"

Yes, of course, you are an expert and everyone else here has way less experience than you...

I would suggest that perhaps you might want to show a little more respect to your fellow riders, it is easy to hurl passive aggressive insults at people on the interweb, but SB.com is not a place where this kind of commentary is common, or welcome, despite the fact that it is indeed an internet forum.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 10:56 am 

Don't feed the trolls barrows! :deadhorse:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 4:00 pm 

SpencerC wrote:

give me a few worthy trip reports and i'll take what you have to say with some respect.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 15, 2012 6:40 pm 

I've used the mountain approach skis a few times. I also balked at the $800 but then was able to get them for $500 as a beta tester. And one of the reasons I bought these skis is because I'm 5'1" and I ride a 149 cm board in the resort. This year, there's only one 149 board that I know of on the market (Prior's Brandywine) and one 150 cm board (made by Venture). Well, the Venture board was sold out everywhere, and the total cost of the Brandywine without skins, bindings, split kit was $999. The complete set up would have cost me at least $1500.

Anyway, in my experience, the approach skis worked great for uphills and pretty good for transitioning. You don't have to deal with pulling apart skins or getting bindings jammed with ice.

They are definitely way better for ascending than snowshoes, especially in powder conditions. Just like with splitboards, or with touring skis, you don't have to lift your heel very high at all to move in a skin track and you also get float/glide.

My main issues with the skis is that they are heavy in my pack coming down. I weigh about 125 pounds so 6 extra pounds in my pack is enough to throw off my balance and somewhat negate the advantages of bringing up my own board from my quiver.

However, the skis are rated for users up to 225 lbs so I'm guessing that someone weighing closer to that weight probably won't notice the 6 extra pounds (over the weight of snowshoes) in the pack coming down.

I did recommend to MTN approach that they develop bindings that switch from ski to board. Carrying just the board with no bindings is not so bad (I've done it using a homemade pair of approach skis). I actually hardly notice the board weight going up when there are no bindings on it.

So, as a user who has actually tried the skis, I'd actually consider buying MTN approach again in the future, if they managed to reduce the weight by using lighter wood / switchable bindings, lower the price (from the MSRP of $800), and make smaller (i.e., lighter) skis for someone of my size and weight. I understand that they are moving in these directions already.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 1:53 pm 

^Fair review. Thanks for chiming in.

I think these things have potential for backcountry use:

Seems like you could make them longer and the binding would rotate 90* for uphill and then rotate it back for downhill. The same thing that is attached to your feet for going up would stay on your feet going down. :headbang: Nothing heavy in the pack!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:19 pm 

that video is hilarious!! love the line up of photograhpers "getting the shot"

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 3:39 pm 

Damn Powslash, you're killing it on those things!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 4:54 pm 

powslash wrote:
The same thing that is attached to your feet for going up would stay on your feet going down. :headbang: Nothing heavy in the pack!

wow kinda like SKIS! :puke:

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next