Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Apr 16, 2014 6:03 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Never Wet
PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 5:17 pm 

I would be interested to know how that board turns out, and how a P tex top sheet does.

I am not really sure it will prevent snow. I think there are two types of snow buildup, one is just heavy snow pilling up, the other is more the sunny but colder days where you are hiking into the alpine, and ice droplets start to form and melt/ freeze, allowing snow to build on that. Anyways, I will try some stuff next time I am out. It would be interesting and worthwhile to find out what works and what doesn't, it is pretty annoying to have 2 pounds of junk on your board.

Edit
http://offpistemag.com/permalink.asp?id=552

This post mentioned Armor All in the comments, that stuff you use on the inside of your car. Maybe worth a shot?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:59 am 

I used PAM cooking spray once and it seemed to do the trick. The downside is that the climbing wires seemed to develop more play (less friction?) and one ended up breaking.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 16, 2012 2:11 am 

Some type of nano stuff Harvard scientist came up with.

Also carbon fibre seems to have hydrophobic qualities without any coating already. So a carbon topsheet might not be a bad idea.

" Similarly, silica nanoparticles can be deposited on top of already hydrophobic carbon fabric.[33] The carbon fabric by itself is identified as inherently hydrophobic, but not distinguished as superhydrophobic since its contact angle isn't higher than 150°. With the adhesion of silica nanoparticles, contact angles as high as 162° are achieved. Using silica nano-particles is also of interest to develop transparent hydrophobic materials for car windshields and self-cleaning windows.[34] By coating an already transparent surface with nano-silica with about 1% wt., droplet contact angles can raise up to 168° with a 12° sliding angle."

Also a coating like Neverwet is not exactly new. 3M has had similar coatings for ages: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MNovec/Home/ProductCatalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230OOA50IEKHCMDN11H0000000_nid=JZ15KT89H0beRSFFXGDP37gl

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 4:03 pm 

Just bought 2 cans of NeverWet from Rustoleum at Home Depot for $19. It's says "multi surface liquid repelling treatment (water, mud, ice)
I plan on using it on one ski to start the season to see how well it works. I'll update this thread with results. Here's to hoping it works! I still think worrying about lighter splitboard technology is silly when you're touring through pow with an extra 4 lbs on each foot from snow buildup.

PostPosted: Sat Oct 26, 2013 10:22 pm 

ieism wrote:
Some type of nano stuff Harvard scientist came up with.

Also carbon fibre seems to have hydrophobic qualities without any coating already. So a carbon topsheet might not be a bad idea.

" Similarly, silica nanoparticles can be deposited on top of already hydrophobic carbon fabric.[33] The carbon fabric by itself is identified as inherently hydrophobic, but not distinguished as superhydrophobic since its contact angle isn't higher than 150°. With the adhesion of silica nanoparticles, contact angles as high as 162° are achieved. Using silica nano-particles is also of interest to develop transparent hydrophobic materials for car windshields and self-cleaning windows.[34] By coating an already transparent surface with nano-silica with about 1% wt., droplet contact angles can raise up to 168° with a 12° sliding angle."

Also a coating like Neverwet is not exactly new. 3M has had similar coatings for ages: http://solutions.3m.com/wps/portal/3M/en_US/3MNovec/Home/ProductCatalog/?PC_7_RJH9U5230OOA50IEKHCMDN11H0000000_nid=JZ15KT89H0beRSFFXGDP37gl

Hydrophobic and superhydrophobic coatings are completely different

PostPosted: Sun Oct 27, 2013 11:49 am 

BGnight wrote:
Just bought 2 cans of NeverWet from Rustoleum at Home Depot for $19. It's says "multi surface liquid repelling treatment (water, mud, ice)
I plan on using it on one ski to start the season to see how well it works. I'll update this thread with results. Here's to hoping it works! I still think worrying about lighter splitboard technology is silly when you're touring through pow with an extra 4 lbs on each foot from snow buildup.

Thanks Brooks, look forward to hearing your experiences. :thumpsup:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 5:04 am 

Don't waste your time or money. I used it on an old pack and some old boots before a expected wet backpacking trip. It made the pack material brittle and left a white residue on it, the (leather) boots also looked like they were sprayed with white paint. Boots repelled water for about the first mile.

Nice buzz during application though.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:21 am 

I'm not using it on clothes. I'm using it on the top sheet. Don't really care what it looks like if it keeps ice from sticking.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 10:53 am 

the p-tex top sheet works great on my chimera boards, if you wax it. with no wax it's not really any better. However it's a great way to clean the board as well. Hot wax and scrape off while still hot, it removes tons of dirt and other shit that really cause the snow to stick in the first place. Then do a quick rewax and scrape and you're good to go. the issue is i'm lazy and do this maybe twice a season. if you waxed every few tours I think the p-tex top sheet would really be the best way to keep snow off.

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 11:18 am 

Has anybody used an automotive wax on a standard topsheet with any success?

PostPosted: Mon Oct 28, 2013 3:40 pm 

I clean my topsheet then apply rub-on wax, I use this same wax for the downhill transition. I almost always have snow buildup on my topsheet, usually when it is warming up...Who could argue BGnight's point about board weight worries vs snow build up while touring? I definitly want to ride a board that performs to my liking... Who cares if its a little heavier than other brands. (Ill end up kicking it against a tree while touring to get snow off it anyway) Inquiring minds would like to know. Does this Never Wet product perform on topsheets?

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 1:18 pm 

has anyone ever tried WD40? had an old timer tell me once that is what he uses

PostPosted: Tue Nov 12, 2013 2:18 pm 

TheClash wrote:
has anyone ever tried WD40? had an old timer tell me once that is what he uses

WD40 is a solvent not a lubricant. Though there may be a place for it in ensuring your top sheet is truly clean before applying a lubricant.

Rainx?