Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Oct 22, 2014 2:43 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hardboot setup? Why?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 4:38 pm 

People that ride positive angles on the rear do you never traverse switch when its a heel side traverse? im keen to try some hard boots out and see how they ride though.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 6:45 pm 

Sure, it is easy to ride a traverse switch with 9 degrees positive on your back foot, hell, if the board allows it, is easy to link switch turns as well.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 8:26 pm 

IrishGav wrote:
When Jeremy Jones Xavier, TB, T Rice, Jonaven, R Backstrom, J Charlet, Terje, Muller, Debari RUSSMAN etc etc etc
switches to hard boots and says they improve his riding performance then I'm sold

fyp

:thumpsup:

Do you want to ride with soul or sole ;) It's all about the down yo

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:35 pm 

BGnight wrote:
IrishGav wrote:
When Jeremy Jones Xavier, TB, T Rice, Jonaven, R Backstrom, J Charlet, Terje, Muller, Debari RUSSMAN etc etc etc
switches to hard boots and says they improve his riding performance then I'm sold

fyp

Do you want to ride with soul or sole ;) It's all about the down yo

BG if you switch then I'm defo sold

Actually I'm pretty sure I saw Debari in a hard boot set up when he summitted Denali with Sage Alonsa with the north face team,it's a 20 min doco on you tube

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:43 pm 

I guess most of you guys are 15 year old hero worshippers, getting a hard on for riders making a living off of what boots they are paid to ride.
Anyone is free is to ride whatever equipment that they prefer, but criticsizing other's choice of equipment, especially when one has no first hand experience with the equipment in question, is ill informed at best.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:54 pm 

keffler wrote:
I too use the same stance angle with my hardboots as I do in softboots (~+18 front, ~+2 back), but as I think KGN is implying with the question, I'd be willing to bet that most people who ride hardboots have a forward stance. I tried playing around with some negative angle in the back foot but just felt better with none or a little positive angle. But then again, I never really rode the park and don't ride switch so I'm sure that factors into it.

Yeah, I guess that was what I was implying. But it seems it can be easily done, and others are riding duck, so I guess I will have to check it out. Some good deals at the end of the year for some worthy boots. I tried once to ride forward angles, in soft boots, and I couldn't make it work. I have seen enough people riding them, and respected opinions, to feel they are worth looking into. Hell, even 2 mill Hill said if he was to do it with a splitboard(which he said was possible) he would rock dynafit hardboot setup, I look up to that type of athlete more than most. :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:11 pm 

I guess I have no soul, funny cause the mountains make my soul sing. Sure this is a well beaten horse but I made the mistake of thinking some of the guys on here know something I don't and I bought those stupid spark boots. All I've got to say is save your money. It's better to buy a hardboot set-up for certain tours and have a cheap pair of softies for others. I ride both and can say no pair of softies are going to provide you with what a pair of hardboots will. I think one of the biggest trends in splitboarding right now are guys going to hardboots aside from holding JJ's nuts. IrishGav are they as big as his vids would suggest, I'll never know, cause I ride all year around in all conditions and find there's a time and place for everything. I'm not trying to be anyone else. I make my own path and suggest to others to do the same. See you at top, I mean the bottom and your welcome for setting the track and the boot.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:27 pm 

You fruitbooters are so sensitive! :D

Maybe that's why I love you guys :P

Snowboarding things like Denali is all about the up so you can claim the down. It's ego driven. It's not about the feeling of surfing snow. It's just about getting it done.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:37 pm 

And we love you :oops:

And I don't mind setting the track and the boot I rather enjoy the up. And while your tweaking your bindings I'll quietly drop and be on to the next one. Somedays it is all about the up that's just the game.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 10:40 pm 

but you won't enjoy it as much as me! :D

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:14 pm 

riding hardboots, both pointed forwarded, isn't snowboarding, it's monoboarding...

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 12:52 am 

stein wrote:
riding hardboots, both pointed forwarded, isn't snowboarding, it's monoboarding...

gold. It still amazes me that it took so long for snowboards to be invented. Surfing is old you would think it would be natural progression to try standing sideways as soon as people realised you could slide down hills. Even the monoboard beat us.

PostPosted: Sat Apr 14, 2012 9:29 am 

"gold. It still amazes me that it took so long for snowboards to be invented. Surfing is old you would think it would be natural progression to try standing sideways as soon as people realised you could slide down hills. Even the monoboard beat us."

People have actually been riding, standing sideways, on a board in the snow for much longer than you are aware of-since way before the monoboard was ever developed. J. Jones, may still have his encounter with early snowboard culture up on his website. Skiing developed from the need to travel cross country on skis, up, down, and on the flat, as skis were primarily used for transportation, then people discovered going downhill could be fun, but thye developed skis, because that is what they were already using to get around.

BTW, "duck" stances are a relatively new development in snowboarding, plenty of riders rip(ped) with positive (or 0 degree) angles on the rear foot, like: Craig Kelly, Matt Goodwill, Tom Burt, Johan Olafsson, Terje Haakonsson, etc, etc, etc.

Remember, we are talking about just a little angle on the back foot, 0-9 degrees, not an alpine racer type stance (45-60 degrees forward on both feet).

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 64 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next