Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Apr 18, 2014 12:38 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: MTNAPPROACH pro team has some heavy hitters
PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:58 am 

Lots of good points, but lets keep this in mind, and echo'ing RicoRides
ricorides wrote:
lets remember that cory smith, the man behind mtn approach, and silverton native son, has provided some quality splitboard stoke here over the years.
....Cory is a splitter offering a product. It may not be for everyone, but to each his own.

Just like Summersgone calling "mini golf" terrain lame. I got some mini golf balls I'm going to cram into his 4' 2" stank beard rockin arse :thumpsup: Open up that damn mid 20yr old mind son. Rippin is Rippin, eh

-Luther Standing Bear,

http://splitrippin.tumblr.com/

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:12 am 

Splitrippin, could your last post be any dickier?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 10:19 am 

Ron, you are a tool. Enough said.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 12:32 pm 

Seems the price must incoroprate the media blitz surrounding this exciting "new" concept because they don't look worth even 1/2 the $745 retail.

The heavy hitters don't deserve animosity for their endorsements, they got paid for that which is the business they are in: seeking sponsorships.

The ESPN, Outside and other media promotional puff pieces (paid adverts in disguise) are telling in that there is no real substance to the articles: they are simply paid adverts.

The Sawtooth TR is just more of the same promotion. One pic shows the bootpack with obvious marks showing the hiker was holding his board: works great in soft snow but what about a boot up a steep frozen slope where you need an ice axe and free hands? Filling my pack with both the skis and the board sounds like a step backwards. Stopping on the way down to retrieve the skis also seems lame.

Where is the endorsement from a financially disinterested splitter who converted?

Critical analysis of a hyped product is why this forum exists IMHO.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:32 pm 

I dunno what all the fuss about weight is really.

I mean yes, no one would willing tour with some dumb bells in their pack just for grins, but in reality this stuff is all pretty wishy washy. A couple pounds here or there is not going to ruin your day.

I do alot of climbing in the summer and some long approaches with a pack with a full rack, ropes, water etc is WAY heavier than any daypack on a ski tour - and while I'm not comparing hiking to skinning - the only thing that makes carrying a heavy ass pack easy is doing it often. Dropping 2-3, hell even 6-10lbs out of my climbing bag doesn't suddenly make me superman on a long haul.

I get that some folks find the advertising a bit abrasive given that we're dedicated splitboarders, but what else are they supposed to sell people on? If you're a snowboard producer (not naming any names) and your product is twice the price of a competitor, you tell people how much better, lighter, and thought out it is. Whether its true is up to the consumer, but don't hate the player hate the game. If you're looking to get into backcountry snowboarding, and you're looking into splits, reading the MTN approach website will bring to light some things you maybe never considered - or more importantly - another option that might work better for you.

Approach skis and snowshoes are the root of this sport. Now they've just been made lightyears better then they were before. To each his/her own.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 1:41 pm 

idarado wrote:
I also made a promise to myself that i was not going to defend the MTNA product on this forum any longer...but sometimes you can't help but poke the wasp nest with a stick. Let the stinging commence.

hey idarado i just want to let you know that mostly people talk shit on the internet because they are

1) jealous
2) bored
3) spending way too much time on the internet

And also dont take what these splitters say as a consensus of the entire snowboard demographic.

i come from a freestyle background and i bet a lot of the old cliffy freestyle spots i used to boot pack (echo summit pillow zones and eastern sierra obsidian domes) would have been alot easier to get to with these.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 2:13 pm 

classicauto wrote:

... A couple pounds here or there is not going to ruin your day.

Rad. We should hook up when I'm up there next. You can carry my lunch, water and skins. :D

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 7:01 pm 

Classic singlewhitecaveman.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:53 pm 

Lol, this thread is like someone advertising AT gear as a better alternative than telemarking on TeleTips.com.

This IS splitboard.com duuuuuuuuuh

Most the people in this thread are just pointing out the obvious reality of these vs splitboarding rather than "talking shit". As karkis already said: "SPLITBOARDING IS THE ANSWER"

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 7:28 am 

It's funny how much controversy these little snowlerblades cause every time the subject is breached.

Personally, I wouldn't spend $700 on them, not even half that. I'm thinking if they got the price sub $300 then I would consider using them on some occasions. Probably not though. My split rides pretty well. I think that people who complain about splits not performing as well as their solid board just haven't spent the time to dial in their setup.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:20 am 

singlewhitecaveman wrote:
Rad. We should hook up when I'm up there next. You can carry my lunch, water and skins. :D

Sure thing, but I'm pretty sure carrying your lunch would classify you as my girlfriend :lol:

I mean, you own body weight changes throughout the day by as much as 5-6 pounds due to water loss...I find it hard to believe that so many avid outdoorsmen draw the line at a little bit of extra weight. Yes there's other factors making this system unnecessary for many of us - but alot of people seem to express that 6lbs of folded wood on your back is going to completely ruin your rip down. If your skins weigh roughly 1lb - theres only a 5lb difference. Which could be made competely null if you got your ride on early enough in the morning.

The average person sheds slightly more then a litre of pee per day. Thats about 2lbs. Take a big piss before you ride and you're almost even weight wise LOL

I just don't see the big deal.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:13 am 

singlewhitecaveman wrote:
classicauto wrote:

... A couple pounds here or there is not going to ruin your day.

LOL! in a public place as well! Thanks for that. Personally, if I am going to add 4 or 5 lbs of weight to my gear, it is going to be in the form an airbag pack.
Anyone who does not think that weight matters is really not thinking straight, weight is critical to how much one can do in a day, and strong ones' legs will be when it comes time for the decent. Sure if you are only planning on riding a few K of vert it is no big deal, but...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 11:32 am 

Im not saying weight doesn't matter at all...but 5lbs either way is really splitting hairs for most average sized people.

If 5lbs did make that much of a difference, wouldn't you be killed if you did a big hike using an airbag pack? I mean - you've added that weight right?

A bigger difference in how tired you are for the decent is what kidn of shape you're in. I spent my AK trip doggin' it mostly because my friend was slower then I am. I would carry more wieght everyday - and sometimes pieces of his gear - and still be truckin' on past him. Cardio is way way more essential than a few lbs + or -

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next