Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 9:16 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
 Post subject: Re: What pack do you use?
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:44 am 

I had a lot of problems with the Kode. I purchased it near the beginning of the spring season last year and used it on maybe a half dozen trips into the Crazies and Tobacco Roots. I was using the A-Frame style carry a lot, partially because it felt solid and partially because all of the interconnecting straps seemed really complicated and hard to adjust for the diagonal & board carry methods. After these few trips, I noticed that one of the main A-Frame carry/compression straps was ripping away from the pack. Pretty weak in my opinion. Just my experience and I know others who have used the pack for well over a season.
I don't think I'll ever rock anything other than Mystery Ranch packs again. Like aliasptr, I have a Big Sky for overnights/technical adventures/climbing and a Fuze as my main day touring pack. Here it is:
Their frame system is super comfortable and the packs are incredibly bombproof. The diagonal carry is the best I've ever used and the board carry is super solid as well. The fact that these things are made right here in Bozeman bears mentioning too.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 10:27 am 

I've been using a Cilo Gear 45L Worksack all season and have been very happy with it. It collapses well enough to carry as a day tripper (although I'm usually over prepared for day trips) and I've had it filled out with all my normal stuff plus crampons, 2 axes, harness and related hardware for crevasse rescue, and a picket on my day trip into the alpine on Sunday. It still had enough room that I could have fit my light sleeping bag, a bivy sack and extra food for a couple more days if I wanted to. If I didn't want to do overnight stuff I'd get a custom made 30L Worksack with the 45L suspension just because I like cushy straps and splitboards weigh a lot if I have to hump it in on a dry trail or long boot pack.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 10, 2012 1:39 pm 

Dueter Freeride pro 30

-Carries great, excellent adjustment/cinchability
-Perfect shovel/probe pocket with lots of small organization pockets for tools/keys/whatever
-Goggle pocket that won't crush them, unless you overload it and stand on it
-Hip belt pocket and gear loop
-Vertical carry(with bombproof panel and straps)/diagonal/a frame
-Ice axe loops
-Sweet pole carry options
-Helmet sling
-Removeable seating pad
-Affordable

IMO - its the perfect daypack. Swiss army knife of daypacks.

Just small for gear intensive tours though. Bringing pons/verts, rope, stove etc - you need to move past a daypack anyways.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 1:16 pm 

classicauto wrote:
Dueter Freeride pro 30

-Carries great, excellent adjustment/cinchability
-Perfect shovel/probe pocket with lots of small organization pockets for tools/keys/whatever
-Goggle pocket that won't crush them, unless you overload it and stand on it
-Hip belt pocket and gear loop
-Vertical carry(with bombproof panel and straps)/diagonal/a frame
-Ice axe loops
-Sweet pole carry options
-Helmet sling
-Removeable seating pad
-Affordable

IMO - its the perfect daypack. Swiss army knife of daypacks.

Just small for gear intensive tours though. Bringing pons/verts, rope, stove etc - you need to move past a daypack anyways.

I also have the Deuter Freerider Pro 30 it is an excelent pack for splitboarding, I bought it after trying my girlfriends Deuter Freerider Pro 28 SL (women version of the pack) which was super comfortable, it has many nice and usefull features, its rugged I love that pack everyday I splitboard with it. If you have shorter back the womans SL version is actually more comfortable than the mens with 2 liters smaller volume.
I crushed down two times with that pack on my back and it saved me some pain, excelent fit and hold in any situation :thumpsup:

PostPosted: Wed May 02, 2012 3:48 pm 

I have been looking for a new bag and this helps some but I have a few questions about what I've narrowed down. maybe some of you can give your opinion.

Burton ak31 - ice axe carry? Also can't find many for sale (that aren't full $$)

Osprey 38 - horizontal snowboard carry? (dont think so) good avy pocket?

Dakine Blade- looks like it has a loop for a ice axe, but i dont see a strap for the handle. Also, all the zippers? will this close well?

I can't have a bag that only has the vertical carry because then my ice axe is next/under/ hitting my board.
Like the rest of you I want to be able to open and manage my bag easily when i have gloves on as well.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 9:21 am 

I have the Osprey Kode 38. There is no horizontal carry for the snowboard (at least not near your back like you're talking about). The only time I have carried my board with an ice axe, I carried it as two skis A-frame style. It works pretty well, it keeps the board from hitting the back of my feet.. It carries weight well though, it has a bit of an internal frame.

PostPosted: Tue May 15, 2012 1:42 pm 

I have the Mammut Nirvana 35L and I think it is an excellent splitboard mountaineering pack for Day Trips. My choice came down to the Deuter pro30 and this one. And I'm glad I got this one, because I like the 5 L more at less weight (136g lighter, but hey who's counting ;)), since I get it pretty packed with full gear. Ice Axe attachment is perfect, always accessible carrying a-frame or vertical, since it's detached from board/ski straps. Pack is always accessible through the back.

I has plenty of features (similar to the Deuter minus the removable Seatpad) and it is superb quality. It's Mammut after all! I looove my pack!

Google it, here is a link that has it on sale right now: http://www.bentgate.com/mammut-nirvana- ... 2510-02280

And product page: http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/2 ... a-Pro.html

You might also want to research, the new feature that Mammuts air-bag system will be compatible with a range of their Freeride packs (to my understanding). Not sure if that's for next season, but I read it in several places. Leaves the option to upgrade your pack someday?

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 7:36 am 

Dakine blade. Its been a great pack for the last couple years I've had it. I tryed the blade 2, but found it to have two point that dig into my back causing pressure points.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 12:48 pm 

Airbag packs.
Mammut RAS 30l just about everyday.
http://www.mammut.ch/en/productDetail/261000011_v_0067_30/Ride-R.A.S..html
Fits and carries all my day gear in a comfortable, and easy to access pack.
Still waiting for the larger Mammut RAS system packs which are supposed to be compatible/interchangeable with the current format.

I have an ABS Vario 40l which I have used for overnighters, I'm not very partial towards it.

During storm days in the resort its an older Black Diamond Avalung pack.

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 1:53 pm 

whistlermaverick wrote:
Airbag packs.
Still waiting for the larger Mammut RAS system packs which are supposed to be compatible/interchangeable with the current format.

I have an ABS Vario 40l which I have used for overnighters, I'm not very partial towards it.

Heard anything about what size the bigger packs will be?
40L seems way to small for weekend trips with tent etc.

K2 Panoramic 158
Lib Tech TRS 154 solid
BD Traverse poles
Mammut Barryvox Pulse
Oakley Airbrake

PostPosted: Sun Sep 16, 2012 2:36 pm 

Swedish-banana wrote:
whistlermaverick wrote:
Airbag packs.

Heard anything about what size the bigger packs will be?
40L seems way to small for weekend trips with tent etc.

I can't find any info from Mammut yet.
Last year season I was told from several sources that Mammut would have larger packs with multiple sizing which I could switch out my system with, much like the ABS ones.
Been checking every blog/web site and still yet to hear anything, except this breakdownhttp://www.wildsnow.com/5014/avalanche-airbag-backpack-overview/

Mammut

Ride RAS 30L 6.7 lbs 6.83 lbs
Ride RAS 22L 6.5 lbs
Ride Short RAS 28L (new 2013) 6.6 lbs
Ride Light RAS 30L (new 2013) 5.4 lbs
Ride Pro RAS 35L (new 2013) 7.1 lbs
Ride Pro RAS 45L (new 2013) 7.3 lbs
Ride Rocker RAS 18L (new 2013) 5.8 lbs
Ride Protection RAS 18L (new 2013) 6.5 lbs

45l Mammut would be my choice for overnighters, just like to know the price( $300 would be about right) of the pack without the removable airbag system which I already have.

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:57 am 

Black Diamond Outlaw Avalung pack.
Fits great from the first time I rode with it. Can be hold plenty for a big day or sinched down when not full, love the back panel access.
But thinking I will step up to an avalanche pack this year.

Jones Hovercraft 60
Supermodel 73
Dynafit TLT5 Mtn

PostPosted: Mon Sep 17, 2012 9:10 pm 

@splitchef... Nice thread to revive!
After this past season I purchased a bigger pack for longer touring and I got.....(drum roll).......a black diamond outlaw avalung pack as well...but seriously it's rad, I love how you can load it up with as much (or as little) stuff as you want and it still holds a great shape I plan on using this for most if not all of my touring this year.

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 78 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next