Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 8:25 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: MTNAPPROACH pro team has some heavy hitters
PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:48 am 

barrows wrote:
mtnrider wrote:
This thread is getting super negative on a forum member here that has shared some cool TR's and other fun stuff to check out.
I'm usually pretty stoked to come on this site and visit w/ some cool people. pretty disappointed reading thru this thread.

If you don't have something nice to say - keep it to yourself. Opinions are fine but there is no need to shit on Mtn Approach skis.
If it's not your thing don't buy it.

I don't know this member personally but I'd think that we'd maybe be a little cooler to one of the members on here.
:guinness: :doobie: :thumpsup: :D

I disagree. I do not see any personal attacks in this thread, just a reasonable discussion of the merits of the Mt Approach system. Conversely, the Mt Approach marketing does suggest that splitboards are not as capable as solid boards, and I feel this marketing approach is doing a disservice to the backcountry riding community. While those riders who regularly use splitboards know what they are capable of, there are riders out there "on the fence" so to speak, trying to decide if a splitboard is for them. Along comes Mt Approach, suggesting that splitboards do not ride very well-this marketing approach is perpetuating a myth which is damaging to the splitboard industry, and to those riders who might be trying to decide on a splitboard.
I would suggest that Mt Approach stick to the merits of their system, and not suggest (mistakenly) that splitboards have some inherent limitation.
Personally, I view the Mt Approach system as ideally suited for the rider who wants to tour a short way from the road, build a kicker with a pow landing, and then drop all their gear, put in a boot pack, and session the kicker. For this I agree that a solid freestyle board has advantages in terms of swing weight if one is trying to get that last rotation on their 1080; otherwise, for big backcountry days and lines, a splitboard is a much better choice.

Agreed. I haven't seen anything personally directed at the man behind Mtn Approach (Idarado). However, several statements in the Mtn. Approach website are simply erroneous and misleading. How much control Idarado has over the website marketing content is anyones guess. He might be the developer of the product but he might have a board of investors who exert more control over website content.

As for mtnrider's feeling that some negativity has been expressed; well I would say there are some dedicated and insightful splitboarders weighing in here so far, and that the Mtn Approach system has been thoroughly vetted and exposed for all its weaknesses and limitations compared to splitboarding.

Thanks Cory for what you've contributed here, and good luck with your endeavor.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:39 am 

I didn't say anyone really slammed on this guy, I guess I looked as it someone cool from this board that I'd wish the best. I work in product development so I see a lot
of ideas fizzle out. I'd wish anyone on here the best whether they were slinging t-shirts for making space shuttles. Not saying I'd buy one from you - not saying I wouldn't either though.
Barrows opinions were good. Egh, the adverts for this product are poor but I don't think the hardcore splitters are his market either. I like to research and weigh the pros and cons for myself.
what's to say I wouldn't like carrying a heavy board on my back? I know from experience it's not the way for me.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:11 am 

christoph benells wrote:
shits weak. those riders probably skin those things once a year for a mile to a photo shoot on close-in terrain. they are too busy with other things like x-games, heli riding, snowmo romping and booter hittin. (and for laura hadar maybe some silly backside ladyslide down a tiny handrail)

Not to beat a dead horse here but Laura Hadar slays it, rails or otherwise.

http://www.facebook.com/#!/photo.php?fb ... =1&theater

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 7:33 pm 

I am glad to see at least 1 person speak up on Mtn approach's behalf.
This tirade is a little like the Chevy vs. Ford argument.
Are you kidding me? They both haul dirtbags up a mountain just fine.

1st:
How many of the 40+ people that commented on this product have ever seen, or actually tried skinning on a set of the Mtn approach skis?

Performance:
If you contend that you do not suffer a "performance compromise" on your splitboard, then, you must ride your splitboard at the resort, when you are riding a chairlift?
If not, why not?

Price:
Please help me find a complete and spanking new split setup(board/bindings/skins/backpack) for less than $795
I just looked on-line and even in the late season, close-out blitz, there is not a brand new factory setup anywhere that comes close to that price point.
Please tell me where I can get a complete kit to get me uphill in a skin track that is less than $795?

Weight:
I own both kits, I have weighed myself with each setupall in and the Mtn approach setup this season weighs just 3lbs more than my DIY split...and that weight is in the backpack.
1)Have you ever walked around with your kid, or your lil cousin sitting on your foot gripping your leg?
It's kinda hard to walk for a while, BUT, Put the lil guy on your shoulders and you can walk around the carnival all day.
I don't need a scientist to tell me whats more fatiguing to carry...weight on my feet or weight on my back??
Thats a ridiculous argument, backpack beats leg-weights anyday.

Finally:
Y'all ever ride the OG Voile Split Decision from 1995? It had a huge gap down the center and weighed about 15 pounds WITH NO BINDINGS.... Splitboards have come a long way in 17 years and how many pounds have they dropped?
I'm stoked to watch what Mtn approach does, its progress in the right direction to get me uphill faster, able to ride MY SNOWBOARD.

I like SNOWBOARDING...I used to SPLITboard because I had no alternative. These guys aren't trying to take your SPLITS away from you, you can have em.

I think they are just trying to make it more fun to get up and get down in the backcountry.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:23 pm 

Looking forward to hearing your experiences using the MTN approach system.

Are you using voile plates on your DIY?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:29 pm 

taped up gloves wrote:
Please tell me where I can get a complete kit to get me uphill in a skin track that is less than $795?

$795 to get uphill, how much to get back down?

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:32 pm 

as long as you're droppin'

viewtopic.php?f=5&t=13283

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 8:41 pm 

They be perfect for friends that wana get out for a day that dnt have a split or for shops to hire out. Good stepping stone product to splitboarding....i guess.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 9:10 pm 

chrisNZ wrote:
They be perfect for friends that wana get out for a day that dnt have a split or for shops to hire out. Good stepping stone product to splitboarding....i guess.

you would spend $800 just to have a mediocre set up in case your friends wanted to try it? :scratch:

Quote:
I think they are just trying to make it more fun to get up and get down in the backcountry.

If fun is carrying way much too shit on your back, taking up your entire pack space, and being slow then have at it.

:thumpsup:

I can think of ZERO positive aspects of this product. it would be different if it was $200-$300 but $795 are you fucking kidding me?

Maybe the jokes on all of us though, cuz it looks like mtn approach is doing pretty well.

in the end who gives a shit, it's a tool to go snowboarding away from the resorts and that is priceless. If you are using a MTN approach system give us some reports on some real tours and how it worked out. See you back on a splitboard in a few seasons. :twocents:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 11, 2012 11:22 pm 

Nice first post...I'll bite...

taped up gloves wrote:
1st:
How many of the 40+ people that commented on this product have ever seen, or actually tried skinning on a set of the Mtn approach skis?

I have...for years before Mtn approach skis were in existence on approach skis. Yes, the folding ability makes these a much better option. These are a great alternative (maybe not at this price point, but I've offered my opinion to Cory privately). But they are still much slower than splitting (for everyday average folks) unless you are gorilla-lunged like Cory.

taped up gloves wrote:
Performance:
If you contend that you do not suffer a "performance compromise" on your splitboard, then, you must ride your splitboard at the resort, when you are riding a chairlift?
If not, why not?

Yes and no, the performance "disadvantage" is the extra weight in a split. In bounds why would you choose to have the extra weight. Out of bounds its the same comment in reverse, why would you choose to carry more, unless the benefit was for freestyle riding, rather than backcountry freeriding.

More and more on pow days I DO choose to ride my split inbounds. It gets me to the sidecountry fast once everything is tracked. In fact, I will be choosing to sell my solid powder board next year for the same board in a split for this very reason. I love having a quiver of tools for the right job. If I were into backcountry booters, I very well might have a set of these.

taped up gloves wrote:
Price:
Please help me find a complete and spanking new split setup(board/bindings/skins/backpack) for less than $795
I just looked on-line and even in the late season, close-out blitz, there is not a brand new factory setup anywhere that comes close to that price point.

Please....add the cost of the MTN approach to your downhill ride to get a true cost comparison. Your kit is $800 for the skis + $500-700 for your solid+bindings. A DIY OR a Factory setup would cost you less than this. Again, right tool for the job. - Oh yeah, I've purchased a couple of different full split (factory) setups for about the same cost as the Mtn system through smart shopping. My DIY was a couple of hundred.

taped up gloves wrote:
Weight:
I own both kits, I have weighed myself with each setupall in and the Mtn approach setup this season weighs just 3lbs more than my DIY split...and that weight is in the backpack.
1)Have you ever walked around with your kid, or your lil cousin sitting on your foot gripping your leg?
It's kinda hard to walk for a while, BUT, Put the lil guy on your shoulders and you can walk around the carnival all day.
I don't need a scientist to tell me whats more fatiguing to carry...weight on my feet or weight on my back??
Thats a ridiculous argument, backpack beats leg-weights anyday.

I'm not lifting my board with every step - that is ridiculous - you're doing it wrong. But you are lifting your board on a pack with every step :wink:

taped up gloves wrote:

Finally:
Y'all ever ride the OG Voile Split Decision from 1995? It had a huge gap down the center and weighed about 15 pounds WITH NO BINDINGS.... Splitboards have come a long way in 17 years and how many pounds have they dropped?
I'm stoked to watch what Mtn approach does, its progress in the right direction to get me uphill faster, able to ride MY SNOWBOARD.

I like SNOWBOARDING...I used to SPLITboard because I had no alternative. These guys aren't trying to take your SPLITS away from you, you can have em.

Most people here ONLY have a problem with the marketing of these as if a splitboard today is "inferior" in capabilities to a "solid" board, which is a complete misnomer that damages the image of splitboarding. That is why you are seeing such a passionate response.

I wish him the best - there is indeed a market for these - but I wish the marketing were changed to promote the benefits over regular approach skis, slowshoes, etc. and not be damning to splitboarding with misleading information.

Heck I know there are people out there that prefer approach skis to splits - I sold him my approach skis and never looked back.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:44 am 

tiltedworld wrote:
taped up gloves wrote:
Performance:
If not, why not?

Yes and no, the performance "disadvantage" is the extra weight in a split. In bounds why would you choose to have the extra weight. Out of bounds its the same comment in reverse, why would you choose to carry more, unless the benefit was for freestyle riding, rather than backcountry freeriding.

More and more on pow days I DO choose to ride my split inbounds. It gets me to the sidecountry fast once everything is tracked. In fact, I will be choosing to sell my solid powder board next year for the same board in a split for this very reason. I love having a quiver of tools for the right job. If I were into backcountry booters, I very well might have a set of these.

Dont forget though, you will be "freestyling" with the approach skis in your pack. More weight in your pack on the way up, more weight in your pack on the way down.

taped up gloves wrote:
Price:

The Dogfunk sale had the Voile package with skins for $450. Add bindings & backpack. for a total of $650, $750 tops, (plus you get the snowboard to ride down on included!). I guess you aren't interested in an airbag pack either? Sweet post though :thumbsdown:

Ill say it again, when booting up a ridgeline or cramponing up a glacier or a couloir, ARE YOU GOING TO CARRY ALL OF THIS STUFF ON YOUR BACK? Have fun with that.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 6:58 am 

I think the mtn approach would have been much better off trying to market this 4 or 5 years ago before this recent explosion in splitbootaneering technology. I think they'll have success but they truly missed their window for maximum profits imo. Splitboard set ups are just getting too awesome these days and in the next few years I'm sure they'll be even better. I wish they were around in the late 90's! It's a good idea. Just late.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 12, 2012 8:28 am 

Quote:
But they are still much slower than splitting
... but they're not. My wife is faster on the MTNA set up than i am on my split. Transitions are no contest, plus she can ride "her" snowboard. I put her on a split once and she almost divorced me. I use my wife for an example because she's an average snowboarder (plus she doesn't read this forum) The MTNA set up is not for everyone, if you own a split and you like it than stay the course. I don't think the mtna marketing is off base, 1lbs on your foot is more work than a 1lbs on your back. Granted you're not lifting your ski off the ground if done properly but you're still moving a mass up a hill with your leg.

I also made a promise to myself that i was not going to defend the MTNA product on this forum any longer...but sometimes you can't help but poke the wasp nest with a stick. Let the stinging commence.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7  Next