Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Jul 24, 2014 4:10 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: STOIC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 6:33 am 

Thinking about giving the Stoic bombshell jacket / bib this coming season. Lured by the much lower price than any of the alternatives. Is anyone wearing this stuff? Any feedback?

Post subject: Re: STOIC
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 8:58 am 

So I don't have any experience with the bibs, or the bombshell line, but I've have good experiences with a range of other stoic gear including a down sleeping bag, their merino baselayers, and the welder lo jacket. I have found the pieces to be close to on par with the top end brands and when on sale I can actually afford it.

Obviously not a review of the specific piece in questions but I can pretty confidently recommend the brand.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 5:18 am 

Thanks for the info Silver, I think I'll take the plunge.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 08, 2012 1:06 pm 

Pretty much what Silver has said. I don't have any experience with the current bombshell line, but I do have the old Bombshell Stoic 2.0 jacket when it was still labelled as backcountry.com. Bombshell = Bomber imo. My go to hardshell for everything. As well, my down layer is the Stoic Luft sweater. Again, no complaints, nothing anyways that would get me to ditch it in favour of paying 3 times as much as I did for an identical piece from big time brand. Wish it had a removable hood, but that would make it a jacket & not a sweater or something...

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:04 am 

Being a backcountry.com employee I own a slew of stoic gear as we get it for a great price. as far as fabric material goes their clothes are every bit as good as the high end stuff. where you are going to see the difference is stitching detail-more loose ends, loose threads, stitching coming undone in various places. This issue has somewhat been addressed in the 2011-2012 year and was worse on the 2010-2011 year garments. The higher end pieces like the bombshell bib and pants do not have this issue as much as their baselayers and light jackets. But I say go for it, I have been super happy with their stuff so far. I have been rocking the softshell pants all season and like them just as well as my $300 pants I had previously. The wool ski socks are also bad ass.

bottom line is Stoic is cheap, works well, and has a lifetime warranty, plus you have to purchase from backcountry and we have a killer return policy. little risk=big reward.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 8:16 am 

I have a set of stoic merino base layers that I wore 50 days this season and they are still good for another season. I've been completely satisfied. They are warm and they breath and they have thumb holes. It's funny that I've got some big name brand stuff that is failing and of course nobody wants to honor a warranty but my stoic is ready for more.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 10:40 am 

not affiliated with bc.com at all. stoic bombshell bibs are the best i've tried. bold statement but i like them better then the alpha sv bibs. fabric is pretty stretchy and thin. the bibs are the best feature. zip in and out makes it easy to dump with full layers up top, no need to take off bib straps.

the biggest downside is that the closure up front is two snap buttons when i wish it were some sort of more secure buckle, sometime the fly comes undone when the bibs aren't being used.

i wear mine until i get to camp or done with the mission. silkweight underwear under them with the vents open is perfect for skinning in any weather, i never have sweaty legs. i get to camp and take them off and just keep them outside the tent, they are true shells and very waterproof. in the morning i wake up and shake the snow off/out of them and throw them on.

PostPosted: Thu Jun 14, 2012 5:10 am 

The jacket showed up yesterday (103 bucks). I watched the price go down twice before purchasing. I might have waited too long, the bibs were sold out except XL. It has all the features I was looking for sans the 450$ price tag. Guess I'll have to wait to try it out.

Removable powder skirt is particularly nice, going to use it on the third season backpacking trips. Sorry trusty old Mnt. light, you have been replaced.

Thanks for all the input, and thanks for existing forum.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 5:07 am 

Epic failure on the bibs! First day of a planned three day trip and multiple seams started opening up. Needless to say we skied out in the morning. Both jacket and bib going back to BC.com, how could it be trusted now? I really would like an explanation as to why this happened from Stoic, but as far as I am concerned this is a major problem.

I will never hear the end of this from my faithful skier buddy.

Any suggestions on replacements? Anyone have experience with Sherpa Gear? My local shop carries it and I am going to check it out after some slack in my shitty inbounds gear.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:16 am 

Matt Wood wrote:
Epic failure on the bibs! First day of a planned three day trip and multiple seams started opening up. Needless to say we skied out in the morning. Both jacket and bib going back to BC.com, how could it be trusted now? I really would like an explanation as to why this happened from Stoic, but as far as I am concerned this is a major problem.

I will never hear the end of this from my faithful skier buddy.

Any suggestions on replacements? Anyone have experience with Sherpa Gear? My local shop carries it and I am going to check it out after some slack in my shitty inbounds gear.

It was that bad? Forgot the duct tape? I've never cut a trip short for clothing malfunction. Weird.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:30 am 

Yeah it was that bad, left leg full inseem, they were literally falling apart. Did not forget duct tape, used all of it trying to patch but it doesn't seem to stick well to the bombshell and it all fell off. A few ski straps held my left leg together for the ski out, all other areas were WELL vented with temps @ -17 from all the other failures.

I guess I'm not as hardcore as you, cause yes, it was a trip ender.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 8:37 am 

Matt Wood wrote:
Yeah it was that bad, left leg full inseem, they were literally falling apart. Did not forget duct tape, used all of it trying to patch but it doesn't seem to stick well to the bombshell and it all fell off. A few ski straps held my left leg together for the ski out, all other areas were WELL vented with temps @ -17 from all the other failures.

I guess I'm not as hardcore as you, cause yes, it was a trip ender.

Not trying to insult you or claim to be extremely hardcore, just saying that it must have been pretty bad to hike out early. I'm guessing duct tape doesn't stick well at those low temps either.

PostPosted: Sun Jan 06, 2013 9:39 am 

Glad I ran across this thread again, I've been eying the Bombshell jacket and bibs for awhile.
I recently got the Stash soft shell and so far I like it just fine, it's kept me warm enough inbounds (down into the low 20's) with just base and medium weight fleece mid layers underneath. The stitching on the Velcro cuff closure is coming out though, from where I yanked on it a bit too hard.
Now I'm thinking about getting soft shell pants instead and leaving the Bombshell combo alone. I do like the bib and powder skirt features though, my only real complaint with my current arrangement is the occasional powder down the pants.