Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Oct 30, 2014 12:14 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Tahoe/Bay Area/Sac newb splitters - skills clinic on 4/15?
PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 1:53 pm 

Hey splitters, I'm doing a little bc split/skiing skills clinic for my outdoors club, aimed toward skiers/splitters who are post-AIARE 1 (and other training) and have gotten all the gear, but maybe only been out once-to-a-few times and are still pretty green to the activity.

Gonna be around the SLT or Carson Pass area on Sunday 4/15.

I didn't get as many people in my outdoors club to sign up (actually, only 1 so far, whereas last year I had a lot more) and I have room to spare. I know it's kind of last minute. Priority is still going to my outdoors club right now, and I don't want to take out too many people because big groups are a junkshow - but I think have room for a few people. PM me for more info.

This is not a guided instruction/tour ... just an opportunity to go out and work on some tips & tricks, pick my brain, discuss things as a group/collaborative learning experience etc.

You are required to provide your own gear and transportation, though I may have room in my car from SLT to Carson Pass. Extreme storm or rain will cancel. If you need a gear list, PM me and I can send you things that you should already have.

More info about me
I’m 32, a reasonably solid snowboarder and a barely competent skier. The past few seasons I averaged about 40-50 days of skiing and boarding per year, generally about half in the backcountry. I primarily splitboard in the backcountry but I also own Dynafit ski-touring gear as well. I have about 75 days of BC touring experience, mostly in the Tahoe/Carson Pass area but I have toured many CA regions as far south as Independence and as far north as Mt. Shasta - primarily day tours. I do not do committing ski-mountaineering lines or big sufferfest tours, but I am confident in steep expert-level terrain in the BC. I also have AIARE level 1 and 16-hour WFA training.

Post subject: Re: Tahoe/Bay Area/Sac newb splitters - skills clinic on 4/15?
PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 8:45 am 

Do we have to use one pole if we sign up?

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 1:11 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:

:lol:

PostPosted: Sat Apr 07, 2012 10:18 pm 

Ecobrad wrote:

Zing!

You're actually only allowed to use one pole after demonstrating proficiency with two whippets in hand while snowboarding.

Anyways, the group is looking like it's up to 5 now ... good size, but I can take 1, maybe 2 more.