Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Thu Apr 17, 2014 2:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: help deciding first splitboard?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:14 pm 

G'day to all, I'm fairly new to snowboarding, having come from backcountry skiing to the dark side and now I'm looking to buy a splitboard for next season.

I don't know much about boards, and only have experience on a dozen or so rental boards, plus two days on a Nitro Slash in fresh deep pow, so I'm having trouble making a descion based on what I can research and what I feel.

What I'm having trouble deciding is what kind of board I want as a split. I see that many splits are somewhat like all mountain type boards, rather than powder orientated boards.

The thing is, that when I head out for a day in the back country I tend to aim for the best snow. It's never all deep pow, but it's not often the kind of snow I think would need a board designed to handle compromised conditions, and even then, some powder orientated boards have a reputation for handleing nasty conditions and groomed runs very well.

The board I am most attracted to is the Jones hovercraft, which seems to have a good reputation as a versatile pow stick, also the Trapper boards are appealing, Venture Storm too. But I can also get a Never Summer Summit at a good price, and a few others are appealing to me. The Mellow Magne traction on the Jones seems like a bit of a bonus, but I've never even tried the Lib Tech magnetraction so maybe I wouldn't like it.

The board I want doesn't need to be super versatile, just enough so that when I need to mix it up it will let me, and for the rest of the time it will let me rip in deep powder.

Does anyone have any suggestions?

Post subject: Re: help deciding first splitboard?
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:31 pm 

Out of your proposal, I'd say a Venture Storm. It is a great powder board, and perfect for deep days. Pivots well, surfs the mountain, and super stable. I would choose this over a Jones Hovercraft for the fact that Ventures are rock solid, and quality built all the way.

I personally have not rode the other boards your suggest, but I have a bunch of experience on Venture and I am pumped on their splitboards. Hope that helps.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:01 pm 

Magnetraction has no benefit to riding pow...its even kinda hooky and takes a bit to get use to it. But after 1 season on it id never go back to a non magnetraction board... and its kinda of difficult to go back to a standard board.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 2:14 am 

...Chris that's what attracts me to the Hovercraft, it's a powder board, but maybe it's the magnetraction that makes it work on ice and groomers.

The quiver I want to put together is basically a solid board, probably a Lib Tech Lando Pheonix or TRS for the groomers and resort days, and a powder orientated split for the backcountry. For me, the resort/all mountain board is the one that I would consider a quiver board.

Does that make sense?

I feel like I am trying to talk myself into the Hovercraft as the best for me, so I want get outside opinions on my logic.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:39 am 

another option for a pow oriented board in the same vein as the hovercraft, slash, trout trap, malolo, etc: http://www.chimerasnowboards.com/SPLITB ... HASER.html

If you are going for a pow board, you're going to compromise on groomers/chop/variable conditions.... the taper will see to that for you, but it's worth it if you are out chasing powder!

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 1:18 pm 

Word is that the Hovercraft Split will come in a 60 next year.

I got a solid Hover60 this year for a solid pow stick and rode it a grand total of 2 days in resorts (fantastic season, not), but it completely sold me on the shape, flex, sidecut and float. I'm sure I would have been just fine on the Hover56, but my past experiences with the short fish boards keep me riding a little longer.

I'm seriously considering selling the Hover60 to get a Hover60split as a do it all pow board as most resort days I'm hiking around anyway. Would be good complement to my ST.

PostPosted: Fri Apr 06, 2012 5:06 am 

Thanks for the advice guys, at this point I'm thinking that a custom board from Igneous isn't going to cost me any more than a Hovercraft will where I live.
There are so many tempting ideas out there but I will have to start somewhere are a custom board cant' be a bad place for it.
Cheers.