Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sun Apr 20, 2014 10:16 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Re: MTNAPPROACH pro team has some heavy hitters
PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 8:39 am 

I am curious to see what the "market" decides on this one.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:28 am 

Although I generally agree with a lot of folks stated reservations, assuming it's durable and works as stated, I could see it as a good a loaner set up to have to take friends out into the backcountry.

With a DIY your buddy is probably not going to be riding there preferred stance/shape/length and it is still significantly cheaper than buying what you need to approximate the riding performance of a solid (split/pack/skins and splitspecific bindings= lots of dough). It also looks a lot simpler for a neophyte than dealing with ripping skins and transitioning bindings. Still, it's hard to imagine it's $700 better than the set of snowshoes I already use for this purpose.

Personally, I could also see taking it out for specific lines, like if there was a decent length low-angle approach followed by a boot-up chute I was planning to shred. You could just ditch the 7 lbs of skis when you start the boot.

Neither of these has me looking to ditch my split anytime soon, or invest $700 in the system, but then again, regular posters on splitboard.com are probably not the target audience. We shall see if there is a big enough audience out there.

Personally I wish him the best of luck although I do think the dismissive tone his marketing takes towards splitboarding, like the completely bogus use of the science of lbs on foot vs. pounds on back for splitting, is pretty douchey.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:38 am 

I'm with rico on this one.

pretty easy to sit here and bag on the product and the riders.

I wouldn't buy a pair for all the reasons stated, but who cares if these pros accept a sponsor. it may have more do to with them being able to still ride their pro model and not DIY split it.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 9:44 am 

silver wrote:
Personally I wish him the best of luck although I do think the dismissive tone his marketing takes towards splitboarding, like the completely bogus use of the science of lbs on foot vs. pounds on back for splitting, is pretty douchey.

And here lies the problem. Too much condescending talk of splitboarding in his marketing. He has a nice design, no doubt, but who are we kidding?

How about terrain where split-skiing is the mode of travel? How about terrain where you have to boot (over 50% of tours I do)? Are you going to put the approach ski and snowboard on your back? Ha-ha!

For mini golf I'll take some verts, put in the booter and you're done. Any other time the split will dominate!

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 12:50 pm 

powderjunkie wrote:
I wouldn't buy a pair for all the reasons stated, but who cares if these pros accept a sponsor. it may have more do to with them being able to still ride their pro model and not DIY split it.

^^^^^THIS.

Obviously this has more to do with marketing and keeping alive the careers of some aging pros than actually contributing to the sport of backcountry snowboarding.

I'm not sure who would spend 700 bones on a Mtn Approach setup vs. an awesome new powder board plus snowshoes, or a decent splitboard on sale. Apparently MA thinks someone will if they put a few pros names on it.

And anyone who has any kind of backcountry experience will tell you it sucks lugging your solid board on your back, no matter what.

From what little mainstream snowboard media I've been exposed to, it seems like there are lots of pros/companies not quite sure to make of the whole splitboard phenomenon. No one is really seriously questioning whether it's a superior ascent system (DUH), but I think most of the companies who bring in the $$$$$ (Forum, YES, etc.) look at what happened to Burton's venture with splitboarding in the early 2000s and think to themselves 'it's a fluke, those dirtbags who buy/make those split things are not a significant part of our market base anyway, they don't buy our softgoods'.

While quietly, companies like Venture, Prior and Sparks are carving themselves out a very nice market share of an EXPLODING new market.

While Jones and Lib will probably sell more boards, they have way more overhead too.

Prior and Venture don't have to pay JJ's and TR's royalties... :wink:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:07 pm 

You speak some truth Jefe, but to be perfectly honest, I think many of those mainstream brands are right in their calculations. There is a lot of buzz around splitboarding right now, and that is awesome, but I really don't see this kind of growth in the market being sustainable. Splitting is hard work and although the idea of endless powder has broad appeal the reality of putting in a big day on the skintrack just doesn't work for lots of folks. Venture, Prior, etc., will be fine and I'm honestly much happier supporting these smaller shops than sending my money off to any of the larger corporations.

I'm also looking forward to the flood of lightly used boards I anticipate seeing on the used market in 4-5 years.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:20 pm 

For sure. I don't see splitting seriously threatening the ski resort/snowboard industry anytime soon. :doobie:

But I'm goin out on a dubious skin track here and gonna suggest that the same old formula for 'slap a few pros' names on it and put it to market' is not sustainable either.

And I certainly don't hold it against Guch or anyone else trying to stay relevant (or even remembered) and make a buck off snowboarding.

I am already seeing some lightly used boards in the for sale thread from time to time; I totally expect that to increase as well. Good for us! :guinness:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:23 pm 

Yes, splitboard sales is only going to be a few percent of the market, and only for true enthusiasts who like the mountains, rather than the poseur resort type scene. Splitboards are really too expensive for many of the resort poseurs to embrace as a fad.
But this is the way we want it, right? I mean, who needs a really crowded backcountry anyway... Splitboarding will stay relatively core, and this is good, as the product will mostly stay "real" rather than cheesy. Some growth is good, as there needs to be some market to support the innovation (and much thanks to those innovators out there who do so specifically because they are stoke and rider driven, and not financially motivated).
I have introduced a few people to splitting, but these folks are already experienced climbers and mountaineers, who understand the large amounts of energy required to be self powered in the mountains, and they do so for a love of the mountain environment-the average resort rider is a totally different animal...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 1:50 pm 

Word. :guinness:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:11 pm 

barrows wrote:
But this is the way we want it, right? I mean, who needs a really crowded backcountry anyway... Splitboarding will stay relatively core, and this is good, as the product will mostly stay "real" rather than cheesy. Some growth is good, as there needs to be some market to support the innovation (and much thanks to those innovators out there who do so specifically because they are stoke and rider driven, and not financially motivated).

This is maybe the best thing I've read on here. I thought a long while on what I saw to be deceptive, disingenuous advertising on the part of MTNapproach (sorry, but the Guch's quote still sounds like total BS to me), how it pissed me off and seemed like a huge regression. Then I read Barrows' quote and it really put things in perspective.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 3:34 pm 

Splitboarding sucks, its way to much work, and everyone should quit and go back to the resort.

I'm hoping thats the progression of splitboarding.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 5:23 pm 

The MTNAPPROACH system is highly dubious. Their video starts with the implication: Does pulling your skins apart make you grumpy? Well here's your solution - carry between 7 pounds to 12 pounds extra on your back all day long! Hooray!

Then a blurb pops up, "Keep in mind that for every 1 lb on your foot, it's like carrying an extra 6.4 lb of weight on your back." Aaaaarg! This is taken from a study of oxygen use while using hiking boots on a treadmill, and is, frankly, bullshit in the context of ski touring, which has significantly different ergonomics, and a different range of relevant weights. Skinning does not equal hiking on a treadmill. Quoting research out of context like that is sloppy logic, and is intellectually misleading.

If that ratio of 1:6.4 is true, then 15 pounds on my feet while skinning (typical ski/splitboard weight) is like (15x6.4=) 96 pounds on my back??? I mean come on that's demonstrably untrue - I cannot skin (or stand) with 96 lbs on my back, so I call bullshit.

I suspect that if an ergonomics study was performed, measuring weight on feet vs weight on back in a backcountry skinning context, the "feel" ratio of footload vs backload would be between 1:1 to 1:2.

However do not hate the Hadar. She's a cool person, and she rips, much harder than most. I salute her for living the dream and chasing down sponsors.

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 6:45 pm 

oh i was just kidding around saying laura does ladyslides.

she obviously rips way hard and thats why she is a pro snowboarder. im sitting here outside slc right now and i know she is a big part of the scene here, and i definatly have respect for her. but i never saw her as a backcountry or even freeride kind of rider, so i thought it was wierd for her to be on the team. i would like to see her out there though. i like tight jeans and flannel so shes cool in my book.

its funny, there has been lots of people coming in to my work buying splitboards, talking about splits and such, but i have yet to notice an increase in splitters out there. i think alot of people just dont have the motivation it takes to climb up a mountain.

if people want to use the mtn approach thats cool, i'll pass them on the skin and steal their line :lol: 8)

is cory smith idarado?

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 91 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next