Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Sep 16, 2014 8:28 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: 12/13 stuff youll like
PostPosted: Wed Mar 07, 2012 6:03 pm 

I saw a Rossignol Extreme at Evo yesterday that looked like it would make a great split too.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 1:26 am 

lameboard wrote:
PUNKY wrote:
Really wish Salomon would create and sell a Sick Stick Split

+ 1!

I love my Sick Stick. A "Sick Split Stick" would be awesome!

Apparently next years model has one lenght (166) made "split ready", whatever that means.

link

PostPosted: Thu Mar 08, 2012 2:01 pm 

Dan De Lion wrote:
lameboard wrote:
PUNKY wrote:

+ 1!

Apparently next years model has one lenght (166) made "split ready", whatever that means.

link

I think it means that the core is laid up with some other material in the middle so when u split it you get inner "sidewalls" automatically.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 12, 2012 5:23 pm 

Ninjaphoto.se wrote:
Dan De Lion wrote:
lameboard wrote:
PUNKY wrote:

+ 1!

link

I think it means that the core is laid up with some other material in the middle so when u split it you get inner "sidewalls" automatically.

If that's the deal I wonder why they didn't just make a proper splitboard version...oh well, we'll have to wait and see what it's gonna be like.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:42 pm 

The 166 "Split Ready" Sick Stick was a by-product of Salomon having Josh Dirksen on the team.

I personally like the idea of this board. You could ride if for a year as a solid, then just rip it, and your good to go.

So stoked on it, pre-ordered mine already.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:19 pm 

emmons.will wrote:
The 166 "Split Ready" Sick Stick was a by-product of Salomon having Josh Dirksen on the team.

I personally like the idea of this board. You could ride if for a year as a solid, then just rip it, and your good to go.

So stoked on it, pre-ordered mine already.

In one of the new JJ teaser videos you could see Dirkson on a Sick Split. Im thinking they are doing like Lib did in their first year to get around a Voile patent.

Too bad a 166 is too large for me

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 2:45 pm 

I am really eccited about the spark boots! I have heard rumors that they will take semi-auto crampons and that will make things nice for me. (I can only afford one pair of those crampons so had to go with BD Serac clip on my mountaineering boots.)
check out the crampons
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... ac-crampon

Burton Freebird/spark blazes/ burton ruler boots

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 8:45 pm 

PUNKY wrote:
Im thinking they are doing like Lib did in their first year to get around a Voile patent.

FWIW, voile licensing costs a mfg $30 per board and includes tip/tail connectors and split hooks. I'm not a board mfg but to me that seems totally reasonable.

I think it's more likely that some mfgs either dont have the skill to produce a split with high quality craftsmanship, they're too lazy, or they just dont find the return worth it to them i.e not a large enough profit margin. :twocents:

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 3:28 am 

Don't also forget that for a snowboard company, to make a pair of skis takes twice as long as it takes to make a snowboard. To make a splitboard, it takes twice as long as it does to make a pair of skis.

It takes a lot more time to make a split than a solid deck. Contrary to popular belief, not much is automated at any factory, including the K2 factory in China. Everything done to make a snowboard, splitboard, or skis is done by hand at any factory in the world.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:30 am 

Killclimbz wrote:
Don't also forget that for a snowboard company, to make a pair of skis takes twice as long as it takes to make a snowboard. To make a splitboard, it takes twice as long as it does to make a pair of skis.

It takes a lot more time to make a split than a solid deck. Contrary to popular belief, not much is automated at any factory, including the K2 factory in China. Everything done to make a snowboard, splitboard, or skis is done by hand at any factory in the world.

G: I was talking a bit with Klem (Venture owner/designer) about this, and while it certainly more labor intensive to make a split, most companies do layup their splits as a single board, and then cut them, rather than laying them up as separate skis. This process saves labor, as only one layup is done per splitboard, but there is still much more work than with a simple solid board. $900+ is still very reasonable pricing for a quality, made in the US, splitboard when one really considers what goes into it.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:44 am 

wasatchfreeride84093 wrote:
I am really eccited about the spark boots! I have heard rumors that they will take semi-auto crampons and that will make things nice for me. (I can only afford one pair of those crampons so had to go with BD Serac clip on my mountaineering boots.)
check out the crampons
http://www.blackdiamondequipment.com/en ... ac-crampon

I am also looking forward to them, as I am need of new boots big time (super packed out, starting to hurt feet) but if they look similar in size to last years Im not so sure. They just seemed super bulky compared to my boots. I would like to see a similar boot, but with that shell reducing size thing going on.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:23 pm 

bcrider wrote:
PUNKY wrote:
Im thinking they are doing like Lib did in their first year to get around a Voile patent.

FWIW, voile licensing costs a mfg $30 per board and includes tip/tail connectors and split hooks. I'm not a board mfg but to me that seems totally reasonable.

I think it's more likely that some mfgs either dont have the skill to produce a split with high quality craftsmanship, they're too lazy, or they just dont find the return worth it to them i.e not a large enough profit margin. :twocents:

Totally reasonable. Still just trying to figure out what there whole plan is with that Sick Split. Maybe it comes as a DIY, 2 ski split, so the rider can choose which hooks he wants to use

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 7:29 am 

To the best of my understanding:

The 2012/13 Sick Stick comes as a solid board. The difference is it has sidewall material in the center of the core ("split ready"). So that one can cut it into a DIY split, and have a nice sidewall at the cut, and not worry about having to seal and protect the exposed core wood.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 53 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next