Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Oct 25, 2014 5:33 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: greenhorn looking for advice on 1st split
PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 4:18 pm 

Just looking to get into the splitboard world & trying to find a board. I am 5'8" 155lb & currently ride a solid never summer SL 158, & a 158 GNU altered genetics. I do most of my riding in the trees (on resort, haven't really done much backcountry riding). I have a few boards in mind that I have been researching: those being the Jones Solution or Mtn Twin, Venture Zephyr, and the Voile Mojo RX. Found what seems to be a deal on a 2010/2011 161 Voile Mojo RX w/ all hardware and skins for $650. Also I was wondering about going down in size to a 156 for the split, but it seems that you would actually rather go up in size from the solid board. Just trying to narrow the search & find the right board. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance!!!

Post subject: Re: greenhorn looking for advice on 1st split
PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:45 am 

Hey, thought I'm chime in and try and help you a little as I'm in the market for a new split and have been doing lots of research on boards lately.

First you gotta figure out what kind of conditions/riding your going to be mostly riding. If your just getting into splittingdef try and look for a all around all mountain shape. Its a good time to be buying cause most boards are on sale right now.

So far from what I've heard and read about, you can't really go wrong with buying a Venture, or Never Summer. Bomber construction and good shapes. I believe the Zephyr is Venture version of an all around mountain slayer. The only reason not too go this route is I believe they are on the heavy side of boards, however that mean more durable. Voile sounds like a decent board, some people love them but I've also heard some not so great things. Just talk though, I know one guy who has one and loves it. The price is right.

Also Check out Chimera boards. The first company to build and design only split-boards. Some really cool concepts and shapes, sounds like everyone is pumped on how they ride. I think I'm going to pick up one of his boards when I get a new board.

Hope this helps a little

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 6:46 pm 

Sizing up shouldn't be an issue, especially if the board has some rocker so it will feel smaller. I weigh 145 and I ride a 160 Prior Kyhber. I could easily ride the size smaller, but you also have to remember that you will be wearing a pack with some weight. I don't think you could go wrong with any of those boards really, but I would go for the Venture, they seem really good.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:40 pm 

"First you gotta figure out what kind of conditions/riding your going to be mostly riding"

To Jyacub:

Looking for an all mountain board that has the ability for switch riding, something snappy.

To KGN:

So it seems that you don't think a few cm's either way is that big of a deal in terms of skinning, is that right. It seems that you would want them a bit longer (within reason) for more surface area. Am I thinking to much into this?

Thanks for the reply guys!!!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:03 am 

Never summer has a split version of the board your riding right now. You could have your same board in split. Otherwise just check out the webpages for those companies and they'll have a good write up on each board. And as for the Jones I'd be sceptical in purchasing for a few more years, sounds like some real duds have been pumped out of that factory.

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:12 am 

yea noticed that that would be ideal, little rich for my blood right now, but maybe could find one for right price....like you said the sales are starting to happen. What's your thought on shorter board as opposed to longer, just talking 2-4cm. Seems like a mute issue, but not sure. On one hand it seems longer is better for more surface area, but a bit shorter seems better for maneuverability. Thoughts.....

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 9:54 am 

MTrider wrote:
I have a few boards in mind that I have been researching: those being the Jones Solution or Mtn Twin, Venture Zephyr, and the Voile Mojo RX.

On the size front, I would stay pretty close to what you ride on a solid. Yes, you will have a backpack and some extra gear along when splitting, but you are still snowboarding and you know what you like. You can go up a cm or two, but I would not do anything radical on your first split.

I have a Solution (163W- note that it measures 160), a Zephyr (164/260), and a Mojo (166). The Solution and Zephyr feel pretty similar to me. The Jones is flat between the bindings (aaaalmost rockered- Jones claims it is cambered, but mine is most definitely not) while the Zephyr has a mild camber (which they claim is flat- go figure). I personally think the Zephyr climbs better because it puts a little more skin on the snow, and they both have mellow, forgiving, playful natures when descending. My days of big air or charging chutes are over and I just like to cruise the backcountry with my wife, so I won't pretend to have an opinion on how they handle 50 degree slopes. Both have pretty blunt noses, early rise noses and tails, and the sidecut seems similar, so the overall handling of the two is roughly comparable. Both do very nicely in pow, spring mashed potatoes, corn, and wind-board. The Zephyr probably weighs a little more, but I don't feel it on the hill. It certainly has a tighter, higher-quality build I would expect it to last longer. I have not been in a situation yet where I thought the magnetraction did anything useful, so I don't have an opinion on that either. I will say my Jones looks a lot better than some other Joneses I have seen in shops. I've seen some with constructions issues to the point where I would not be inclined to buy it even at a discount.

The Mojo is a bit different than the other two. It feels longer and skinnier, a little grabbier and more directionally stable when on edge. It has a less aggressive early rise in the nose, and a full camber from the front binding to the tail. It's lighter and climbs extremely well since it puts a lot of skin down. It is more of an all-mountain sled as opposed to the other two which seem a bit more freestyle to me. Part of this may be because it is the longest board I own, and has the fullest traditional camber. It's a great cruiser and a good board for touring, and will be the best deal since you get the skins and junk with it (new). If I were squirreling around in trees however, I might lean more towards the other two. The Zephyr would probably be a better long term investment, though you may find the Jones cheaper.

I have not used a Jones Mtn Twin, but the centered stance would give me pause. I am already on the rearward-most holes on some of my decks. I would not want my binding options shifted forward at all.

Have fun shopping.

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Mon Apr 02, 2012 10:51 am 

The thing I personally would steer clear of, from seeing some other people using them, is a small fully rockered board. Might be fun to ride but I see a lot more slippage when skinning conditions are not ideal. Remember you will be in the skin track 95 percent of the time.

I wouldn't size down too much, but it wont make a huge difference for skinning. Not sure what sizes that Venture comes in, but if its anywhere from 158 to 160, I think that would be good. And it should grip well in the skin trail.

Cant really say what your going to like the most, and I am thinking of getting a big old swallowtail even though Im a feather weight. I really don't mind a bigger board and don't have much interest in anything smaller than 160. I find with rocker in tip and tail, and camber in the middle with the priors, they turn so easy anyways, might as well ride a little longer and get some big turns :thumbsup:

PostPosted: Wed Apr 04, 2012 7:22 am 

Greatly appreciate the replys to the post. It has definitely shed some light on my search. Just wondering if anyone has any beta on the Venture Divide )which seems like the predecessor to the Storm. If so what about the Divide (162) vs. Voile Mojo RX (161)......any thoughts??????

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:52 pm 

Whats happenin im new here :disco: , but have been split boarding for about 7 years. But after reading the advice that some others gave i thought id chime in. i ride an old heavy voile board. I love it! but i would never ride it in a resort when i ride in the back country I only ride powder days (i will not spend 4 hours climbing a peak for sub par conditions). I dont need pop, camber, magna traction, ect. When im floating in the deep powder that stuff doesnt make much difference. What does make a difference is board size Im 5"11' 190 and I ride a 166. In a resort i ride the coveted Burton Custom X 160 and love the pop and camber and control of that board. I would focus on getting a good deal first and the rest later but I can be a tight wad :twocents:

Any way the imortant thing is buy what your going to use. If you dont think youll use a mediocre board get the expensive stuff.

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 12:59 pm 

Any way the imortant thing is buy what your going to use. If you dont think youll use a mediocre board get the expensive stuff.[/quote]

Skinnyguy: Good point as the saying goes, you get what ya pay for. Thanks for your :twocents: !!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:22 am 

Just wanted to give a shout out to all that chimed in w/ good advice on helping me get my first split. Just bought a demoed Venture Zephyr 159. Haven't had the chance to ride it yet but will post a review once I am able to get some honest turns on it. One thing I found through my searching & shopping was the demo market can be a place to find some serious deals, especially this time of the season. Was able to get my whole setup (hardware, G3 skins, Spark Blaze Bindings & even 3 piece Black Diamond poles) for $740. Board is in great shape & I am psyched!!!! Thanks once again to all that have given their :twocents: Enjoy some spring riding!!!!!

PostPosted: Fri Apr 13, 2012 9:56 am 

MTrider wrote:
Just wanted to give a shout out to all that chimed in w/ good advice on helping me get my first split. Just bought a demoed Venture Zephyr 159. Haven't had the chance to ride it yet but will post a review once I am able to get some honest turns on it. One thing I found through my searching & shopping was the demo market can be a place to find some serious deals, especially this time of the season. Was able to get my whole setup (hardware, G3 skins, Spark Blaze Bindings & even 3 piece Black Diamond poles) for $740. Board is in great shape & I am psyched!!!! Thanks once again to all that have given their :twocents: Enjoy some spring riding!!!!!

Sh*t, that sounds like a great deal. All setup for less than the price of one new board :thumbsup: And a Venture no less :guinness:

Enjoy