Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Jul 22, 2014 8:41 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next
 Post subject: Re: Furberg Snowboards
PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:52 pm 

I don't own a Furberg, so havent had the chance to ride one. But this has been an interesting tread and i've decided to build my first board this summer.

I'm combining what I like from the Dark series; lots of edgehold and very stiff and stable. With some of the shape of the Furberg and the long radius sidecut. But it will be shorter and wider with more setback, kinda like a hovercraft.

I'll let you know how it works out, but the contruction will be very experimental too so I might break a few before I get it right....

Furberg 167 Split with Afterburners
Furberg 162 Split with Magnetos
Prior 165 Backcountry XTC Split
Libtech Dark Series DIY Split with DIY binders

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:14 am 

Hey splitters. I am at the Silverton Splitfest, and Chimera is going to have a split with long radius sidecut, and interesting rocker profile, along the same lines as the furberg. This board is in prototype form right now, but should be available in the fall. I saw the prototype here, but in a length too short for me (161-162), they will be making longer lengths, a very promising development.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 7:41 am 

That's great news, Barrows. If you would, please urge them to make a 180-ish length model; I'd buy one.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:48 am 

barrows wrote:
Hey splitters. I am at the Silverton Splitfest, and Chimera is going to have a split with long radius sidecut, and interesting rocker profile, along the same lines as the furberg. This board is in prototype form right now, but should be available in the fall. I saw the prototype here, but in a length too short for me (161-162), they will be making longer lengths, a very promising development.

Any Pics? Very interested and the 161 would work for me. :thumpsup:

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Sat Mar 31, 2012 11:54 am 

Chris, I'll see what I can get. I do not know how long Alistair is here. The board will ~1 cm of taper, and I think he said the 162 would have a sidecut around 14-17 m. It is still a proto, so those numbers may be subject to change. I am not entirely sue of the rocker profile either, but I am pretty sure there is no cambered sections to the board. I'll try and get more info this evening.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:37 am 

Some furberg riding

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pl ... 3ct4uS6x8A
its a really good board!

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:22 am 

Flott!!!
Shows that the Furberg can handle tight terrain

PostPosted: Sun Apr 01, 2012 10:42 am 

Taylor wrote:
That's great news, Barrows. If you would, please urge them to make a 180-ish length model; I'd buy one.

Taylor: Alistair is a great guy, and seems very interested in getting input from experienced folks. I would encourage you to contact him directly via "contact" at the Chimera website. He seems to be trying lots of different and creative stuff, hopefully he sells enough boards to keep it going.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 4:28 pm 

Board showed up last week--167
First day last week 15-20cms of heavy snow. Set it up just a little back of center, stoked.
Surprisingly nimble. Lots of fun. Really liking the way it rides with the rockered/tapered tail. Maybe a little too much in combination, will only find out with some pow.
Stable at speed, rocks through chunder.

Took it out today on some firm hardpack and softer spring conditions.
Definitely need to pay attention on hardpack, scary to get near putting it up on edge. But who cares, its not made for that.
Uber grip on the steeps.

Thoughts from others on any changes.
I think I would prefer it be stiffer in the back with either a less rockered or less tapered tail. Maybe its just because it seems a bit soft.

Pretty sure a more shapes similar to this are going to show up and are going to make great splits.I could see a flat board(no rocker or camber) being a very good option with this shape.

Many thanks Daniel Furberg.
I think I see another Furberg in my future.

PostPosted: Sun Apr 29, 2012 10:26 pm 

Nice concise, descriptive review. Thanks, Jamie. Some questions...

Definitely need to pay attention on hardpack, scary to get near putting it up on edge. But who cares, its not made for that.

I assume this is because, owing to the long radius sidecut, the difference in speed required to rail it vs. the board's comfortable slarving is too great... Correct? That is, transitioning from slarved to railed turns requires a speed gain that is inherently uncomfortable--it offers too little inherent stability in the divide between those two speed realms? (I had a 17m proto race deck I used for back-country years ago and this was the case.) Can you speak a bit more to this?

I think I would prefer it be stiffer in the back with either a less rockered or less tapered tail. Maybe its just because it seems a bit soft.

I'm wondering why you think so... Is it because, by your preference, it lacks tail stability, as would be needed to jam the brakes or to safely hold turns at the higher speeds that its long-radius sidecut errs toward? Can you speak a bit more to this?

I could see a flat board (no rocker or camber) being a very good option with this shape.

Why do you think so? How do you think it being flat would change its performance attributes in light of your preferences? What would you expect to be the performance gain? (I would expect the trade-off would be nimbility and float at lower speeds.)

Uber grip on the steeps.... Yup. Bomber chassis for that, not surprised.

Many thanks Daniel Furberg. Amen. Furberg is long-overdue free-thinking snowboard design. Thank goodness.

Thanks again for sharing your observations, Jamie.

- Taylor

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Mon Apr 30, 2012 4:47 pm 

Hey Taylor,

Yeah the sidecut is what makes it greatly stable. With the big sidecut I didn't want to rail it unless I'm bombing. Still factory edges, gotta get a bevel.
When I first got on a big sidecut board I fell over when I put it on edge going slow. It tracked straight while I was leaned over, learned quick.
Slarving, I feel like I just need to be aware if I engage the edge coming out of a turn.

I think its my preference to want it stiffer. I haven't ridden a lot of rockered boards. Usually when I feel uncomfortable I lean back in to the edge of my tail. I just need to adjust a bit to this board.
Its super stable when you have your weight centered or even leaning back, but put your weight back and off to a side and the tail slides out.

For splitting I think a flat board would be better for skinning. With a rockered nose and tail already I don't think it needs to be rockered from the center out to the bindings too. Maybe a little less nimble but its so easy to move around already. I don't think it being flat would make it seem any less the small board it feels like. Float.....I need to get out on it more to know.

It won't be a board for everyone, and won't be good for lazy riding, but I'm stoked.
I could even see it losing 5cms or so off the tail.

PostPosted: Tue May 01, 2012 8:09 am 

Jamie:

"I think its my preference to want it stiffer. I haven't ridden a lot of rockered boards. Usually when I feel uncomfortable I lean back in to the edge of my tail. I just need to adjust a bit to this board.
Its super stable when you have your weight centered or even leaning back, but put your weight back and off to a side and the tail slides out."

Agreed on the above, boards with a rocker tail and taper are not designed to be ridden with rearward weight shifts at the end of turn (to load up the tail). As you note, they are designed to be ridden with the weight generally kept centered, and without radical fore and aft weight shifts. Skiers call this type of technique "riding the ski" rather than "driving the ski" as it is common to the new school pow/freeriding rocker skis. My Venture is the same way, this is no problem once one get used to it, and it allows a greater variety of turn styles. Clearly the furberg is not designed for railing carves on groomers.

In theory, what you mention about a flat middle section allowing for better skinning is true, but it will compromise the edge grip a little-the rockered center section brings back edge grip between the feet, where there is less pressure because of the distance of the edge from one's feet. I have skinned my 173 DIY furberg with no problems (with G3 skins) on very steep skin tracks. I do not consider the furberg a board for spring riding, and in winter conditions it skinned very well. In fact, it handles skinning traverses especially well, likely due to the minimal sidecut.

PostPosted: Thu Aug 16, 2012 12:11 am 

Hi guys.

That fuberg looks very interesting to me.

But i got some questions about it.
1. well, i'm 230 lbs rider with US13 feet, now i use NS legacy 174 with 31.8-27-31.8 geometry 8.3M radius. Fuberg have the same waist, but the tips are 279 and 290. And the board itself is 1 cm shorter. That doesn't dooks promising to me.
Also in a poing where i mount my binders fuberg will be probably narrower then my Legacy.
Any opinions on this? If it only was something like 180W fuberg with 31.0-29.0-30.0 and 18M geometry.

2. NExt one: 16M radius sounds very sweet, once you have a carve board. If it possible to carve fuberg? Not that lay-down turns like i can do with my prior, but some pencil wide paths from me. I suggest it wont hold edge very well on a hardpack because of a rocker.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 280 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14, 15 ... 22  Next