Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Jul 28, 2014 3:39 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: 2012 Never Summer SL Splits...
PostPosted: Sun Jan 29, 2012 1:54 pm 

Has anyone had any issues with the spacing of the split? The nose of mine has a 2-3mm gap where its split but the tail is flush. I felt like the split edges on the board were grabby on the crud and windblown areas. Anyone else have this problem?

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 1:40 pm 

straitliner make sure ya have your pucks set up so the binder plates keep the unit snug... otherwise it sounds like a k clip on the front mite be your fix.
my older decks, wi 100+ days on, do have some play bw halves but i never noticed any functional issues

PostPosted: Sat Mar 10, 2012 11:22 pm 

karkis wrote:
straitliner make sure ya have your pucks set up so the binder plates keep the unit snug... otherwise it sounds like a k clip on the front mite be your fix.

Now that the board has been opening up, I may do just that. With the RC sometimes I feel that issue, but it isn't too bad. The Rocker seems to be nice on the ice. You can gently engage the edge instead of chatter it on a traditional cambered board, at least these are my experiences thus far.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 7:17 am 

The problem Iv had with my SL is that its so fuckin cherry I dont want to take it out this season. Iv got two DIY splits that I just use and abuse and I just cant do that to my 1000 dollar SL :lol: Maybe 2 more feet of fresh and Ill bust her out

:drool:

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:04 am 

See, Aaron, what you need to do is, o to Heavenly and core shot it like I did, and now I don't care! :rock:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:46 pm 

There's alot of really good info here on the SL split...
if anybody could provide an in depth review and or that would be awesome!
Do you guys think the 161 would be ok for a 200 pounder?
The 63 is too wide for my pinner 9.5's.
Thanks!

PostPosted: Tue Jul 17, 2012 5:38 pm 

I don't know much about NS but would the premier F1 be a worthy DIY or are there others that would be a better fit? This would be the step from my entry level DIY nitro pantera to something quite lighter.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 1:01 am 

Finally got my 163 wide SL out a couple of days this weekend (all my days so far this winter were in Tahoe pow on my Venture Zephyr), and I have to say, wow, what a fun board. More maneuverable than I expected, climbed pretty well (the tiny contact patch from the central rocker had me nervous; but so far so good), and other than feeling a little tail-hooky, it was super predictable and just railed in every direction I hinted I wanted to go. Sort of an instant board-rider mind-meld. Fun enough that I cut my new Geckos to fit it specifically. :)

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:31 pm 

What were the skinning conditions? Im taking mine out to the PNW this weekend. Problem is the glue on my voile skins got f'ed up so im using my g3s that dont have the thick plush and they are cut to fit my 25 waist. No crampons either so I hope I can get up hill ok. Im going to try and iron my voiles tonight, I think the glue became impregnated with water possibly, as it wants to come off on my base.

I only took the SL out twice last year in recycled spring pow. Stoked to rail some turns with it.

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 12:55 pm 

The skinning was on a variety of spring-like snow surfaces. There were sections of bubble-wrap rime ice (nothing grips that crap) on the ridges, firm refreeze skin track where others had climbed up, and a fair bit of soft and wet granular snow when we did laps in some bowls. The skins I had on were the BD split ascension STS (the ones with the white sailcloth down the middle between two strips of ascension skins) that are supposed to be powder-only. They are basically the worst skins you can use for the conditions we were in, and I was still able to climb to all the spots I would normally visit, with minimal fuss. In other words, I don't think the board's shape was a detriment to climbing despite the handicap I gave it with those skins. That said, I do think my Zephyr and my old Voile RX and Prior Khyber climbed better than my Jones Solution, and I attributed this to the fact that the Jones is the only one that had zero camber (mine is totally flat between the bindings). I figured the reverse camber of the SL would be an even bigger problem, but not so far. I do reserve the right to change my mind though. :)

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Wed Jan 16, 2013 2:17 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
The skinning was on a variety of spring-like snow surfaces. There were sections of bubble-wrap rime ice (nothing grips that crap) on the ridges, firm refreeze skin track where others had climbed up, and a fair bit of soft and wet granular snow when we did laps in some bowls. The skins I had on were the BD split ascension STS (the ones with the white sailcloth down the middle between two strips of ascension skins) that are supposed to be powder-only. They are basically the worst skins you can use for the conditions we were in, and I was still able to climb to all the spots I would normally visit, with minimal fuss. In other words, I don't think the board's shape was a detriment to climbing despite the handicap I gave it with those skins. That said, I do think my Zephyr and my old Voile RX and Prior Khyber climbed better than my Jones Solution, and I attributed this to the fact that the Jones is the only one that had zero camber (mine is totally flat between the bindings). I figured the reverse camber of the SL would be an even bigger problem, but not so far. I do reserve the right to change my mind though. :)

Cool, thanks.