Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Sat Sep 20, 2014 5:13 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next
 Post subject: Re: Furberg Snowboards
PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 8:14 pm 

I have ridden WC, the ski area that is. These days I do not ride the lifts though, kind of a commitment to the backcountry I have. I would be OK at WC on the 173 some days, but the 167 would probably be a more likely choice as a daily rider there, especially for the Knife Ridge.
I just do not want readers to think that the 173 rides "big" in powder. As an example, I rode 173/174 cm Burton Supermodels for a few years, and the 173 furberg is way quicker turning than those boards as long as the snow is 3D-the rocker and much more "floaty" shape, and the freedom to pivot and smear at will make this board much more manueverable than traditional shapes the same length. I had no problem at Berthoud Pass in steep trees on the 173 as long as it was powder.
I am hoping Daniel will be making splitboards for next year...

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Sun Mar 11, 2012 9:49 pm 

Barrows, I agree with you empathetically, but we come from two different schools of thought. I firmly believe in length depends on style of riding, and big mountain does not translate into more cms. I know this is a splitboard forum and bigger lines are more the norm, but I don't want people to think upsizing should be normal. I wouldn't hesitate to take the 162 and leave the rest. I have had the luxury of riding all 3 on bottomless, 3D days, and all sizes are beyond fun and ripping at 190lbs, just re-weighed. The 173 felt great when steep and deep but sluggish at low-angle for my style of riding; fast and slashy. The Furbergs are great boards, but if I would have gone with the 173 at first my sentiments would definitely be different. I have nothing to gain from this except internet banter between fellow riders. If anything, I would prefer my fellow riders disregard the praises and continue on with their sick sticks...more Furbergaling for me. Think snow. Nate

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:56 am 

FINALLY got to take the 173 furberg out. :D Coming home and now reading your last posts I can agree.
Conditions were windblown pow, deep pow, icy crust and nice groomers.
The first hour of the day started with low visibility and I had to keep my speed down. At low speed I felt somewhat disapointed with the board. Felt like the board was dragging me along. Maybe a 167 would be better here.
But when I got to know the board and the sun came out my experience changed. When this board gets up some speed its a silkysmooth ride :bananas: The nose just raises up from the snow and there is little chance of hooking the edge when doing pow turns.
Also felt stable on high speed grooming with wide turns.
So I am all in all super happy with what I like the most. Open powder bowls.
Maybe I`ll do a DIY split with the 173 and buy a 167 for resorts.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:17 am 

Here is a vid of the Furberg in 19in of cold smoke powder after an annoyingly long drought without any :) Along with all the other things it kills at, I was amazed at the float, nothing ive ridden compares (of course, its also the longest, but still). Not really a video of BC or splitting, but thought i'd share here since im riding the Furberg.

http://youtu.be/Ek03yYpygLE

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 9:42 am 

mtsurfr wrote:
Here is a vid of the Furberg in 19in of cold smoke powder after an annoyingly long drought without any :) Along with all the other things it kills at, I was amazed at the float, nothing ive ridden compares (of course, its also the longest, but still). Not really a video of BC or splitting, but thought i'd share here since im riding the Furberg.

http://youtu.be/Ek03yYpygLE

Yes, totally agreed on the float, and it is not the size that does it. I have ridden plenty of traditional boards from 170-179 cm, none of them floated the way the furberg 173 does. I think this is due to the tapered tip and tail shape, and the gentle rise on the tip. The tapered tip and tail keep the pressure low and distributed over some length at the contact points, and this stops the tip and tail from cutting/diving into the snow on the entrance and exit from turns. The gentle rise tip shape allows the entire surface area of the tip to provide lift as well, as opposed to the typical steeply turned up nose on most boards (Jones uses a similar tip rise to good effect as well).
This is my go to pow board for sure, nothing compares. Too bad this year has sucked around here for POW... next year, Canada...

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 5:08 am 

First let me say I am really digging all the knowledge of snowboard tech on this forum!!

Need some thoughts as my diy stash is coming in the door:-)
Got a good deal on diy splitkit, sparks, chomps and lt pins. So finally its my time to own a splitboard. But I am torn on splitting the Furberg or not? Here are my thoughts:
The Furberg was bought for resort powder bowl riding. I ONLY visit resorts when there is powder. I am loving the float and stability of the furberg there.
But when I start splitboarding, I imagine I will encounter different conditions during fall til spring as its not only for the ride down anymore. How do you feel the Furberg would do as an all year condition splitboard?

I can get my hands on a cheap Ride slackcountry 168. Maybe it could be a more allround board compromise? http://www.powderboardreviews.com/boards/review-2010-ride-slackcountry/

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 6:48 am 

Bjørgvin: I do not know the answer to your question. I have a 173 DIY split furberg, but have only used it occasionally this season, due to the lack of snow. I am curious as well regarding how it would perform as an all conditions board. Now that we have spring conditions here, I have been riding my Venture Storm (166), it would be interesting to try the 167 furberg as an all conditions board as you suggest.
The 173 works fine for me in all terrain (not just big turns open bowl stuff) including tight trees, steep techy sections, as long as there is good snow, but I am not so sure it would be maneuverable enough in harder snow conitions.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 28, 2012 9:33 am 

Yeah the board and shape is kinda unique and exeriences are still being made. Thats why I`m leaning towards not splitting the 173 to be used as my only splitboard. Nice to take it with me when I`m 100% sure its good snow. I have the opportunity to visit resorts at weekdays when its not crowded. So there is untouched sidecountry lines to be made all day, all week when there`s been a dump. Thats were the 173 is optimal for me.

When splitting I would go when the weather is nice, not just when the snow is knee deep dry powder. Thats why I`m considering a proven board and allround shape to be my only split.
But then again. What about that knee deep split day I`m thinking "..man, wish i`d split that furberg..." :D
Maybe the answer is a F 167 split for a little less flexing between the mounting hardware and a bit shorter sidecut? :scratch: :lol:
Thanx for your input!

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 12:25 pm 

First off, as mine is not split, so i have not idea how it tours. However, do to our disgustingly warm weather up here (worst wet avi cycle in 3 decades or something), i have had the chance to ride it in 'spring' conditions. Still, this would be my board of choice in any conditions that wasn't groomers or the park/bc booter. Outside of that, i think it does everything better than any other boards ive ridden.

barrows wrote:
but I am not so sure it would be maneuverable enough in harder snow conitions.

I recently rode an coulior, which is 2000 ft of steep deliciousness with a pitch starting out at in the low 50s and never droppping below the low 40's, the steepest i have ridden the Furberg on. (here is a link to the vid http://youtu.be/xOIpLsj_y4E) We rode it in the morning, it was as rock-hard, packed down as it could have been without being 'ice' for the top 1000 ft, then softened a bit lower. The grip from the board was amazing up top, and never felt too grippy when it softened down low. I never felt like I had a difficult time maneuvering the board, even in steep and hard conditions. Later that day I rode it down another 40+ shoot in in the sun, and they were super slush, almost wet avi scary. Again, the board rode fine, i never felt that the board hurt my riding. I have had 3 more days of riding the board in shit spring conditions, certainly not the most fun riding, but the board never felt like it was the issue. I have about 8 days in-bounds on this board in everything from waist deep blower pow, to icy and everything in between and it would be my choice to ride in everything. Don't let the less-than-ideal snow conditions scare you away from it.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 1:48 pm 

Nice video! Seems like you are enjoying the board :D
I actually enjoy the groomers when I`m trailing for the powder bowls.
Seems like I`m really only fishing for excuses to buy another Furberg :headbang:
Now I just need to overthink 167 vs 173 for an allround splitboard. :roll:

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 2:18 pm 

Bjørgvin wrote:
Nice video! Seems like you are enjoying the board :D
I actually enjoy the groomers when I`m trailing for the powder bowls.
Seems like I`m really only fishing for excuses to buy another Furberg :headbang:
Now I just need to overthink 167 vs 173 for an allround splitboard. :roll:

Thanks. YES! Didn't mean to sound like i don't like it on groomers, I don't mind the board on groomers one bit, but its just not my fav for that purpose. If your can only have one split,,, i'd say, go big or go home, the 173 does it all

PostPosted: Thu Mar 29, 2012 10:25 pm 

MTsurfr: How would you compare it to your Dark Series in various conditions? I'm asking because I have a design ready to be something in between the Furberg and Dark Series (my splitboard is a Dark Series 164 and I love it) but with a little Hovercraft thrown in too.

Your feedback would be very helpful, as you've got both boards.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 30, 2012 12:18 pm 

[quote="ieism"]MTsurfr: How would you compare it to your Dark Series in various conditions? I'm asking because I have a design ready to be something in between the Furberg and Dark Series (my splitboard is a Dark Series 164 and I love it) but with a little Hovercraft thrown in too.

Your feedback would be very helpful, as you've got both boards.[/quote

Awesome, are you building it too, or designing it and having someone else build it? Funny you should mention combining those 3 boards. I also had a Hover this year too (actually, 3 of them, all had issues :cry: )... It is still my favorite board for ripping groomers ever, and used to be my fav in the pow until i rode the Furberg. But, i gave up on Jones for a little while until they get their quality control shit figured out.

Have you ridden the Furberg yet? I only ask because, at least for me, it was hard to understand some of the Dark Series shortcomings until I rode something 'better' (it was better for me, depends on who you ask i suppose). Personally, i like everything from Jones, and the Furberg better than the Dark.

Let me start by saying, that I WAS in love with my Dark at one time, but she is not my girl anymore. It was my first stiff, 'big mtn' board, and I loved it right up til i started riding the londer radius sidecut on Jones Solution, and then really on the Furberg. In powder, the Fur obviously has way more float and also feels more stable at speed, but the dark is fun too, no real complaints other than leg burn,,, of course, everything is fun in pow, mmmmmm pow :drool: IMO there is NO comparison between the two in variable conditions. The fur kicks ass,,, I can barely ride my Dark anymore. Example, i never really understood how a board 'hooks' into turns until i rode the furberg for a while, then rode my dark series in some chopped, heavy snow. I felt totally out of control when i was going 'fast', and when burning down this tree-lined chute I tried to bleed off a little speed and the board grabbed and hooked into a turn so hard i got thrown head-over-heals down the chute and ended up crumpled in a group of trees... That was the last time I rode the Dark. I have since realized that ride SO MUCH faster, and in much more control on the Fur. I will keep the dark in case im ever out with friends building a kicker or something, because it has pop, and the Fur doesn't really,,, but other than that, ill be on the furberg.

How are you combining the two designs? That will be interesting for sure, i'd love to see some pics when its done. My thought would be, the closer you get to the Furberg design, the happier you'll be. It might be kinda cool to see a shape similar the Furberg with some camber somewhere for pop. Hope that helps a little.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 292 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1 ... 8, 9, 10, 11, 12, 13, 14 ... 23  Next