Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Nov 24, 2014 5:38 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Help with finding new Split board
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 6:00 pm 

So sadly my trusty 165 Prior Khyber was stolen recently. Really not happy about it all as it was still in great shape, If you live on Vancouver Island and if you see someone with a Prior Khyber with a bright orange base then its mine and while you'll probably not be able to do anything about it at least give them a serious stink eye and question where they got it from and maybe they'll squirm.

The good news is that I now get to try a new board as I haven't ridden any other split. I'm hoping that with some info from others on this board I can narrow down my search from the plethora of fantastic boards out there and pick one. Price isn't much of a concern.

I live on Vancouver Island and mostly ride Slack Country with a few big day tours and the rare overnight spring trip. Most of the conditions i find myself in are either mega deep pow with tree's or spring corn. I found that with my Khyber it was great for the deep pow but not much else so I'm looking for more of an all round one board quiver board. I'm not much of a jibber and basically never ride switch unless its needed and pretty much just love laying out massive big turns and slashing everything in sight, pretty much emulating surfing as much as I can.

So far I'm looking into the Prior backcountry or the Voile Mojo Rx, but would love to hear other people's opinions and experiences on their own respective board or what they've tried and would recommend for me.

Any input would be appreciated!

Post subject: Re: Help with finding new Split board
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 7:16 pm 

Hey, what are your vitals (height, weight, boot size and approximate skill level)?
I really like the looks of the Trapper Ursa Major in a 166 for the kind of riding you are describing. Venture Storm 166x26 or Odin 169x26 would also be my choices (I am 6'1" and 170 lbs with 28 mondo boots). I really prefer to pay a little more for the highest build quality, I trust the hype behind the Trapper folks, without any real experience with the brand, and I have plenty of experience with Venture, and know first hand that the boards are built with exceptional quality.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:50 pm 

Hey, I'm 5'9 175 and definitely prefer riding shorter boards. So much of the riding I do is in steep trees rather that big open terrain that the need for quick snappy turns with a shorter board is a priority over big open speed turns that a longer board gets you. I'd def max out at a 165 board.

As for skill level I'd say a solid intermediate to awesome, somewhere in the middle, I'll drop a few drops here and there or catch some fun air but nothing crazy, I'm more than willing to rip into a steep chute or bowl as well, but there just isn't much access to such terrain here on the Island.

Something with a hybrid rocker would be fun to try and I would prefer lightness over durability as the treks to get into the terrain can be freakin exausting so any extra grams saved on each step would make the decent that much better.

Thx for the help, looking forward to finding something awesome. What's your experience with the boards you mentioned?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 9:06 pm 

I have two solid seasons on the Storm, everything from cold blower pow in the alpine, to super steep corn couloirs, to mini golf techy sections, to tight trees. This board is very versatile, and the rocker makes it super maneuverable, while for me, the 166 size is just big enough to still be stable at speed in bigger turns when the conditions allow. You mentioned surfy, for me, rocker is the way to go for a surfy feel, and the allows a lot of freedom in different turn styles (drifts, smears, really quick pivoted turns where there is not enough room for an arc) while still being able to nail solid carves by driving the edge.
I have not ridden the Trappers, but I really like the look of the design of the Ursa Major, and am considering trying one for next season in a 166.
Venture has a lot of size options in the Storm-honestly, I shy away from really light boards (but I save huge amounts of weight in my boot binding choices) because light boards never ride well for me-they are just squirrely and not "calm" in dicey situations. If you are looking for a light versatile board, and durability (and $) is not a huge priority, I would consider a Prior backcountry, in perhaps a 165 size, and the XTC carbon laminate. My first split (now retired) was a 168 Prior Backcountry, and they are great boards as well, although my preference is for Venture now.
I would mention furbergs, but until they make a factory split, I figured not to mention them. Their boards offer a unique ride, and are my preference when expecting powder, a whole 'nother world on them!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 9:55 am 

Hmm, interesting that you prefer the Venture over the BC, why is that? Shape or construction? It sounds like you encounter more variable conditions then I would so I can see why the storm would be good for you yet probably not the best for me as I'm rarely in big mountain alpine lines and if I am its because the conditions are perfect.

How do you like the rocker of the Ventures? I've heard skinning can be tougher with rocker yet with the Hybrid rocker of the BC or Mojo and stiffer flex it is supposed to skin better? I've never been on anything other than a true camber so it's all in just what I read. As for the Trappers I like the design but I'm hesitant to spend the bucks on an untested proven split-board design. Reading more it sounds like the Venture's are really good for durability and big lines yet the sacrifice is tight tree's and quick turns which is exactly what I'm really into. I'd love to find a light fun snappy surfy split that can handle some big line's and spring conditions when needed. I'm sure anything I get I'll be happy with its just the usual agonizing attempt to sort out the perfect board within a multitude of great choices.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:11 am 

My :twocents: ...

I have a Venture Zephyr and a Mojo Rx. For the one board that does it all, I'd go with the Voile anyday. Very fun and snappy board, the Ventures are in a whole other league in terms of being a 'serious' board that handle big terrain, but not as quick edge to edge and IMHO are better for open terrain where you can really go fast and make huge turns.

The Voile is great in pow with enough rocker in the nose to keep ya floatin. Of the 4 splits I've ridden the Rx is by far the most 'fun' and easy to ride.

You should try to demo some boards, I was just at a splitfest last weekend where they had Arbor and Jones demos... or sometimes local shops will do demos or cheap rentals with the hope that you'll buy a setup.

Good luck with your search!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:15 am 

Jefe009 wrote:
My :twocents: ...

I have a Venture Zephyr and a Mojo Rx. For the one board that does it all, I'd go with the Voile anyday. Very fun and snappy board, the Ventures are in a whole other league in terms of being a 'serious' board that handle big terrain, but not as quick edge to edge and IMHO are better for open terrain where you can really go fast and make huge turns.

The Voile is great in pow with enough rocker in the nose to keep ya floatin. Of the 4 splits I've ridden the Rx is by far the most 'fun' and easy to ride.

You should try to demo some boards, I was just at a splitfest last weekend where they had Arbor and Jones demos... or sometimes local shops will do demos or cheap rentals with the hope that you'll buy a setup.

Good luck with your search!

Nice, thx for the input. I was actually going on some info you wrote in another thread on the the difference between the two boards. Just so much more of my riding because I'm in the PNW on Van. Isle is in tight steep tree's that the more light fun and snappy a board is the funner it is.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:56 am 

jyacub wrote:
Hmm, interesting that you prefer the Venture over the BC, why is that? Shape or construction? It sounds like you encounter more variable conditions then I would so I can see why the storm would be good for you yet probably not the best for me as I'm rarely in big mountain alpine lines and if I am its because the conditions are perfect.

The Venture is more durable and has rocker, the rocker makes it super maneuverable. My Prior was also too soft (even in the 168). For instance, I can easily ride the tightest trees on my 166 Storm, and would never have any need for a board to be able to turn quicker. At the same time, it has enough length and stability to handle speed and bigger turns in open terrain. I have 0 problems skinning on the Venture, it is flat between the feet, and this places plenty of skin surface on the snow. My furberg has rocker between the feet, and this makes a skinning a little more difiicult, but still fine in most conditions.

How do you like the rocker of the Ventures? I've heard skinning can be tougher with rocker yet with the Hybrid rocker of the BC or Mojo and stiffer flex it is supposed to skin better? I've never been on anything other than a true camber so it's all in just what I read. As for the Trappers I like the design but I'm hesitant to spend the bucks on an untested proven split-board design. Reading more it sounds like the Venture's are really good for durability and big lines yet the sacrifice is tight tree's and quick turns which is exactly what I'm really into. I'd love to find a light fun snappy surfy split that can handle some big line's and spring conditions when needed. I'm sure anything I get I'll be happy with its just the usual agonizing attempt to sort out the perfect board within a multitude of great choices.

Not sure the Trappers are "unproven", take a look at Joey Vosburg's blog (linked on their site), seems to me the boards are pretty well proven...

I totally disagree that Ventures are somehow "only" for big lines! Where does this nonsense come from? Like I said, my 166 Storm is my everyday board, and we ride lots of smaller terrain and tight trees and techy steep lines around here-in fact, this is what we ride most of the winter, as the avy danger is usually too high to get into the alpine. The rocker on the Ventures make them very maneuverable. Just get the right size and width for your body and your preferred riding style. And, you cannot really agonize over the "perfect" board, as that does not exist. Every board is going to compromise one aspect of performance over another-indeed what impresses me most about my Storm is the wide range of conditions in which it excels, really, the only other board I want, is a bigger board for riding when the powder is really, really good, and for this I now have my 173 furberg. The Storm handles everything else from steep corn couloirs, to tight trees, to storm powder days in the woods. The key to rocker is that it makes a board much more maneuverable without trading off stability or float.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:18 am 

One of my touring buddies has a Storm and it's a great board, I wouldn't worry about it being for just big lines. I have a 173 BC Split that I've been using for a couple years and it's been great as well.

One thing I would say though, is that if you can afford the carbon option... it's pretty nice. I bought a 178 Spearhead this year in carbon and it's hard to go back to anything else. Over the course of a big day, it really helps.

In my opinion, the Ventures take more abuse and are great boards. Depending on whether you value durability or lower weight more should drive the decision between the two.

Although, if you like the Khyber, why not just get a rockered/carbon version of that?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:51 am 

+1 on the Venture, I have a solid Odin and love it... I'm a big fan of the Chimera boards as well

If you like shorter agile boards, the Unicorn Chaser from Chimera might be worth looking at - it'd be an awesome Cain board ;]

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:29 pm 

Quote:
I totally disagree that Ventures are somehow "only" for big lines! Where does this nonsense come from? Like I said, my 166 Storm is my everyday board, and we ride lots of smaller terrain and tight trees and techy steep lines around here-in fact, this is what we ride most of the winter, as the avy danger is usually too high to get into the alpine. The rocker on the Ventures make them very maneuverable. Just get the right size and width for your body and your preferred riding style. And, you cannot really agonize over the "perfect" board, as that does not exist. Every board is going to compromise one aspect of performance over another-indeed what impresses me most about my Storm is the wide range of conditions in which it excels, really, the only other board I want, is a bigger board for riding when the powder is really, really good, and for this I now have my 173 furberg. The Storm handles everything else from steep corn couloirs, to tight trees, to storm powder days in the woods. The key to rocker is that it makes a board much more maneuverable without trading off stability or float.

Sorry didn't mean "only" obviously you can rip any board on any terrain just seems from what I've read from peoples experience compared with other boards is that the Ventures are better in the open terrain compared with others yet not as nimble and playfull in the tighter terrain. Just going on what info I've read about on this board.

barrows wrote:
Although, if you like the Khyber, why not just get a rockered/carbon version of that?

Liked the khyber but didn't love it for an all round board, I might have had a size too big (165 I think your supposed to size down, I'm 175lbs) but it felt a little too heavy and cumbersome unless in deep open powder. Would like more of an all round board for spring touring as well.

jerrett wrote:
+1 on the Venture, I have a solid Odin and love it... I'm a big fan of the Chimera boards as well

If you like shorter agile boards, the Unicorn Chaser from Chimera might be worth looking at - it'd be an awesome Cain board ;]

Hey Jerrett! Ya if you see a Khyber with an orange base it's mine, got stolen this week. Weak sauce.

Like the looks of the chimera boards, I could be into that looks like they put out a good product. You ever ridden one? What other boards other than the Odin have you tried?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:43 pm 

"...Ventures are better in the open terrain compared with others yet not as nimble and playfull in the tighter terrain..."

The above is not my experience at all, that is my point. As mentioned, my Storm rips tight trees easily, the rocker and taper makes it super maneuverable. A board with camber will be less "playful", as it requires more effort to turn-the camber has to be overcome to get the board to turn at all, whereas on rocker board, one can turn as quickly as one can think.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:58 pm 

barrows wrote:
"...Ventures are better in the open terrain compared with others yet not as nimble and playfull in the tighter terrain..."

The above is not my experience at all, that is my point. As mentioned, my Storm rips tight trees easily, the rocker and taper makes it super maneuverable. A board with camber will be less "playful", as it requires more effort to turn-the camber has to be overcome to get the board to turn at all, whereas on rocker board, one can turn as quickly as one can think.

Ok, got it that makes sense. Sounds like I couldn't go wrong with a Venture then, I like the sounds of that. Hopefully I can get my hands on a few boards with different Rocker/camber designs to see how I like the feel of each.