Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Nov 21, 2014 9:44 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Hovercraft Split
PostPosted: Wed Feb 08, 2012 10:07 am 

I use voile skins with g3 tail clips on my hovercraft 56 and solution 64, when I got the hovercraft I had to take the clips off and trim the skins down to 145cm from the original 152 cm. the g3 site doesn't seem to give the true length of their sizes, just recommended board sizes, but if you are close to the 140-145cm mark you should be fine with the adjustment available from the tail clips. Practice up on your downhill kick turns for the hovercraft as well if you find yourself having to break trail in steeper terrain from time to time, the nose dive bombs quick on uphills with the set back

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 9:49 am 

The hovercraft split is not my main split (I have a solution) but with less than 10 trips, the topsheet starts to come off (at the back).

I've contacted the dealer I bought the board from and they refused to warranty the board, telling me I must have hit a rock or something (even though it's the BACK of the board...)

This thing is the edge does not show any signs of damage and the more I ride with the board, the more the topsheet is going away...

Does anyone know how to get the board replaced - that sucks spendings nearly EUR 1000 for such a nice board and having these kind of problems :'(

PostPosted: Fri Feb 10, 2012 10:06 am 

Your dealer is a tool and deserves no more of your hard earned money. Contact Josh here for warranty problems josh@ohpensales.com

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 9:37 am 

I just picked up the Hovercraft 160 solid a few weeks ago after reading all the hype reviews. I decided to convert this board to a split. I outsourced my work because I didn't want to destroy another board through my lousy craftsmanship. So, I hooked up with a local waterjet company out of Hillsboro, OR that was recommend by another Splitboard.com member, for $63. The guy did a really job at getting a precise cut down the middle returned the board back to me on the same day. I hit up Chris Benells at Next Adventure in Portland to mount the rest of the hardware. He hooked me up with a pair of K-clips, which held the board together super tight and no gaps. I decided to minimize the amount of holes in the board by using ski screws for the heel risers and on the center of the touring bracket.

I don't think the timing could be any better to take this bad boy for a test run with the recent pow dump in the PNW. This board rides pretty damn insane in fresh pow and has great maneuverability through the trees. Best money spent this season...

PostPosted: Mon Feb 20, 2012 12:44 pm 

sick dude!

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:22 pm 

Just picked up a 156 Split this evening.:bananas:

Too bad today was the last day of my vacation and Im back on the bag tomorrow.:cry:

Looking to throw some G3 skins on there, and not sure about binders, maybe a pair of KKs.

Throw out seme options

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:27 pm 

Hey nw, what changes in flex did you experience with splitting the hovercraft?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 8:41 pm 

Jones confirmed there's a 160 split hover in the lineup next year on Facebook. :disco:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:02 pm 

Darrick wrote:
Hey nw, what changes in flex did you experience with splitting the hovercraft?

The board seems about the same prior to the waterjet cut. As far as rideability, I didn't get the chance to ride it as a solid. The board still turns on a dime and rides phenomenal in powder.

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:04 pm 

G3 Split Skins size small measure 131cm from material tip to material tail.

I have the tail clip extended all the way on its strap leaving almost 8" of base exposed before the taper of the skins tail is included. Did I get the wrong size skins?

Ill try to upload a pic of the tail soon

PostPosted: Tue Apr 03, 2012 10:06 pm 

I have the tail clip extended all the way on its strap leaving almost 8" of base exposed before the taper of the skins tail is included. Did I get the wrong size skins?

PostPosted: Thu Apr 05, 2012 9:18 pm 

PUNKY wrote:

I took my 156 Hovercraft Split into the store and we held the small & medium sized G3 skins against the base.

The small ones:
Looked like how you described, with the tail clip extended all the way out to the end of the strap and lots of board would be exposed.

The medium ones:
Looked like they would cover right from tip to tail nicely. With the tail clip slid right up near the skin material (leaving lots of strap to hang over the back.

Ultimately I purchased the medium sized skins, because I figured the 156cm length of the Hovercraft would be the shortest splitboard length I will ever own... I decided there was much higher chance of me being able to re-use the medium sized skins on a longer (non swallow tail style) board if I ever decide to add to the quiver.

But I regret that decision. And if I could go back in time I would seriously consider getting the small size instead.

Why?
Because with the mediums, the tail clip has to be adjusted so close to the skin material that there is not enough rubber strap material between the clip & the skin to do any stretching!

So if you use the size hole adjustment that makes the clip fit snug, you can get one side of the clip over the tail fine, but then you have to fucking reef on the other side with all your might to stretch the little bit of rubber enough to get the other side of the clip on. I actually carry a hook shaped tool to hook in there and pull/pry on them now, because I just couldn't do it consistently/quickly with gloves on.

And if you use the next bigger size hole adjustment? The clip doesn't apply any pressure to the tail of the snowboard at all. It just rattles around & you might as well cut it off.

So the best answer is probably to buy the mediums, cut them a bit shorter and then add a clip back on there.

But I do not believe you made a grave mistake when buying the smalls.

-hps

PostPosted: Mon Apr 09, 2012 7:00 pm 

^Keeping the smalls. Thanks for the info, much appreciated.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 58 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next