Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 23, 2014 4:54 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next
 Post subject: Me, MIA, and Eastside Splitfest...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 11:25 am 

Yes. I've been MIA. Sorry 'bout that. I have only a few days of riding under my belt this year. Snow conditions, family, work, and other stuff have all conspired to prevent me from getting much, let alone, recording and sharing much stoke.

That said, I've got a few emails from some peeps (Schralph, BS, JimW, and others) asking about the split party for this year.

Unfortunately, I won't be able to do it. This doesn't mean I wouldn't come, but I'd have to play it by ear, and just don't have the time nor ambition to coordinate the whole thing.

I don't want to volunteer anybody on an internet forum, but I bet there's one or two other people who've been associated with this party in the past that might want to pick up baton and run with it, but I did want to let those of you who have asked me-what's going on on.

Here's a couple picks from Saturday at Convict to give an idea of snow conditions in the area:

Some of the lines won't go at all this year, save for divine intervention, but there's still plenty of riding to be done, so don't let that steer you away from any spring plans! Happy Splitting!

Post subject: Re: Me, MIA, and Eastside Splitfest...
PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:38 pm 

Thanks for posting this up Jbay. Thanks sooooo much for organizing the previous years, plus Tex, Swanny, everyone else. No one really knows how much work it takes to coordinate everything from operating capital to sponsors, other event logistics etc. until they try doing project management themselves. I've been MIA too, with injury and general life business like everyone else.

Anyone been up on the Mammoth Crest lately? After being injured the first half of the season (not like I missed anything) and with our low tide - it seems to be all about access for me. Low elevation approaches are schwackfests everywhere! I wonder what's on the eastside with classic Sierra simple access this spring?

Given the low tide, I wonder if it makes sense to just take an educated guess about when Tioga might pop to the park and just shoot for then? (Yeah, I know I'm bringing a realllly lazy attitude to the situation)

That said, if someone steps up with a Convict party, and I can get away from work for a day, then I'll do my best to make it regardless of conditions or access.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 26, 2012 12:54 pm 

Well, easy access at Convict is Mono Jim, and Hippy Chutes. Batch plant bowls are easy access too, but the coverage is thin and I bet that unstable layer is persistent in there.

At the crest, the usual stuff is good to go for the most part, with the non north facing stuff being the exception as the weather hasn't cooperated much for preserving that snow. Red Cone Bowl has great coverage and the approach is standard, though the exit might be a bit sketchy if you get off to one side and try to find one of the narrower chutes down to Horshoe Lk.

Had a buddy climb up the apron of Coke 2 weeks ago, saw lots of pics, looks like V Bowl is hiking at the bottom already. Vbowl acutually has less coverage then in July last year. My guess is the pass will open early this year, but be advised, The momart chef has moved! He's got a restaurant right on the 203 after the turn up to main lodge in mammoth. Mostly the same food and menu, without the mango salsa :-( ,,,, but year round and affordable as ever! Anyway, Coke Chute and the one north facing shot that Dan, Tom and I did last year go, but the smaller northfacing chutes do not go. Rock Chute in Mammoth is probably death cookies, as would be (guessing) the other narrow chutes in the area like parachute et al. Sherwins all go, but yes, there has been considerable slide activity up there this year. The hose was really good last weekend (I heard). Virginia Lakes area also has good coverage, and I bet the road is already, or at least shortly WILL be open.

All the approach roads in the June Lake loop are fairly open up to 9k or so, and the loop itself is open too.

Hope this helps bro. Let me know when you're headed out there, if at all possible I'd like to come try and ride with ya!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 5:55 am 

Ok, OK, Ill bite

How many peeps would be interested in a kalifornia split party this year? Me and Swanny been kickin the I dea of a "change up" this year. Goin back old school. Car camping, no raffle , bring your own grub ect.

This could be done either

May-late may @ tioga pass area, with the risk of a patch skiing /mountain biking weekend

or

Shasta in June or July

Shastas east side/brewer creek has always beeen very good to TEX and maybe a 3rd summit is in order. We could do an overnighter at 10,600 ft where those cool sand camping areas in the rocks are

I cant do mothers day weekend, but I think Im pretty much open other than that

Thoughts?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:11 am 

+1 for Shasta, plus that helps gain some peeps from OR

I personally find the Eastside (especially the southern end) quite depressing right now so motivation for that venue is personally lacking.

165 Venture Divide, Spark Franken-Burner, LaSportiva Spantik
163W Jones Solution, Phantom Alphas, Dynafit TLT5
162 Furberg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:37 am 

The last to Kalifornia split parties have been awesome but a Shasta trip would REALLY be awesome. Kelly and I would be in either way. :rock:

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 6:38 am 

TEX if you crazy assholes could pick me up at an airport I could be talked into one on Shasta June/July pretty easily. Would be a fun time for sure.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 7:35 am 

Shasta!

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:14 am 

Quote:
TEX if you crazy assholes could pick me up at an airport I could be talked into one on Shasta June/July pretty easily. Would be a fun time for sure.

any airport, anytime. You know that.

and if you come try to drag Monk151 along with you

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 10:59 am 

I'd be game for either but would lean towards Shasta. A little camping trip sounds good to me...

Greg

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 11:27 am 

lets throw around some dates. I will list the saturday of the weekend.

I have every other friday off, so Im starting with those weekends.
Memorial Weekend- May 26th -could/will be a zoo on the roads
June- 9th- I have my pager at work but could most likely trade with somebody here.
June-23

july -7th- 4th of july weekend( well, wed. is the 4th)

july 21

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:19 pm 

4th of July weekend could be pretty awesome. I am free really any date. I might go out for some running or something stupid before touring since I am training for a half ironman at that point. Just keep me in the loop fellas. What gear would I need to get/bring? Axes and crampons I am assuming?

PostPosted: Tue Mar 27, 2012 12:33 pm 

Shasta is my wheelhouse, y'all know that. I will have several opportunities to suss out road conditions etc before June, so I will.

I don't know if I can make it on whatever date gets chosen, but if I can, I sure as hell will.

LOL @ Tex! It's all MY fault eh? :-P

For the record, I can see some of the PNW folk turning this into a cascades tour hitting up some classic OR descents while en route.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 81 posts ]  Go to page 1, 2, 3, 4, 5 ... 7  Next