Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Wed Jul 30, 2014 2:15 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: Jones solution
PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:40 am 

This shouldn't happen if done properly. They may not have had enough emulsion running on the grinder, and heated up the base. I haven't seen this happen with stone grinding on a sintered base. Then again it could just be another Jones issue with sub-par base material, and or QC.

Does it glide better?

PostPosted: Fri Mar 09, 2012 10:56 am 

Grubbers, is it possible that the discoloration is from dirty wax, overheated wax, or dirty stone grinder water? I've never seen this occur from a base and Jones uses the same ptex as most major manufacturers in their bases AFAIK.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 13, 2012 7:45 pm 

this is all just crazy talk, crazy talk I tell ya.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 4:27 am 

My Jones slides pretty well after a base restructure.
I had it ground, then waxed it with base wax which I left on under a couple of incandescent bulbs for a day. Then it got scraped, rewaxed and brushed.
Feels completely different, even on untracked snow.

I still feel it should have run well out of the box though.
This and the general untidyness of it's assembly and inaccurate driling add up to me not being a big fan at all.

For next seaon it'll get sold and I'll buy something else.
Sorry JJ and Nidecker. I'm just not convinced that Tunisia is ready to make high end sports equipment yet.

PostPosted: Thu Mar 15, 2012 6:24 am 

matt_ha wrote:
My Jones slides pretty well after a base restructure.
Glad to hear it! I have resurrected a few skis and boards with this method. Works great on neglected Craigslist specials.

matt_ha wrote:
Sorry JJ and Nidecker. I'm just not convinced that Tunisia is ready to make high end sports equipment yet.
Nidecker is still making THEIR boards in Switzerland :thumpsup: just not the Jones'... :nononno:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 10:27 pm 

I just measured my 163w Solution, and it comes in at a scant 160. I like the way it rides fine , but I traded boards with a friend who was riding a 166 Mojo and I could not figure out why his board felt like a freaking GS carving board compared to my sled until I measured it. The camber and lack of tail rocker accentuated the long feeling of the Voile, but I still can't figure out why Jones can't produce a board sized within ONE INCH of the length printed right on the deck. My other 3 splits are within 1/2 cm of their claimed size. :scratch:

Burton Spliff 148
Voile Mojo RX 166
BD, G3, and Gecko skins
Sparks!

PostPosted: Fri Mar 23, 2012 11:33 pm 

After spending some time on my Solution, I have to say that I'm not really sure if I like rockered boards. Or at the very least, I'm not sure if I like the rocker on the Jones. I have a fairly wide stance (~23 inches) and that puts my front foot just behind where the rocker starts. As someone who is used to cambered boards, the Jones feels rather squirrelly. I'm wondering if I should just trade up for a 164 and hope that the extra length gives it a more solid feel.

Now I really have no idea why people say you should go shorter with a rockered board.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 9:58 am 

grubbers wrote:
After spending some time on my Solution, I have to say that I'm not really sure if I like rockered boards. Or at the very least, I'm not sure if I like the rocker on the Jones. I have a fairly wide stance (~23 inches) and that puts my front foot just behind where the rocker starts. As someone who is used to cambered boards, the Jones feels rather squirrelly. I'm wondering if I should just trade up for a 164 and hope that the extra length gives it a more solid feel.

Now I really have no idea why people say you should go shorter with a rockered board.

It is interesting to see someone else write this.

Rebecca and I have a 2" difference in our stance width and definitely think that it makes a difference in how rockered boards ride for each of us. We have both ridden a lot of boards and usually think similar things about each board, but there have been 3 different rockered boards that one of us was fine with and the other did not like at all. As you say, it seems to really come down to where your binding is located relative to where the rocker starts. At least on the designs that are flat or slightly cambered underfoot to a rockered nose and tail.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 5:58 pm 

I think everyone is coming down on this board a little bit too hard.. ....This is why I bought mine. I am from the nw i love Libtech. But I will never buy another one, the are nicely made but way over priced and for a company that claims to be true north west company is like everyone caught up in their clicks. But the same goes for most of the companies... nice boards over priced and call them and asking questions in impossible. I bought my solution because A it was the right price. and B. the Jones people called me back to answer my questions.
You have to realize. BC snowboarding gear is way to over priced.. IT IS FUCKING BULL SHIT.. and we the people who are not back by a company or killing our selves in the BC have to bend over. my jones was around 600, the yes it is not perfect. after fixing the base, and riding the board for 20 days in a row, it is fucking awesome. the cam rock is great i am glad i am not on 166.
if it has problems i will send it back.. but in the end.. who cares about the base, you are going to thrash your board anyways if not today tomorrow.. and if you dont you are riding like a pussy.
buy gear that doesn't beak the bank. learn how to work on it yourself.. and ride..
I have a feeling the 2013 jones line is going to be great.. they are the most bang for the buck.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 6:52 pm 

tearle305 wrote:
BC snowboarding gear is way to over priced.. IT IS FUCKING BULL SHIT..
Then dont buy it, and how much is a lift ticket / season pass anyway?
tearle305 wrote:
after fixing the base,
You should never have to do this on a new board, just a little de-tune :roll:
tearle305 wrote:
and if you dont you are riding like a pussy.
Guess I am a big pussy then...

You got it all figured out, what do you need us for anyway, go kill it, destroy the mountain and shred that gnar, I'm sure it will be epic!

PostPosted: Sat Mar 24, 2012 7:02 pm 

philip.ak wrote:
I just measured my 163w Solution, and it comes in at a scant 160. I like the way it rides fine , but I traded boards with a friend who was riding a 166 Mojo and I could not figure out why his board felt like a freaking GS carving board compared to my sled until I measured it. The camber and lack of tail rocker accentuated the long feeling of the Voile, but I still can't figure out why Jones can't produce a board sized within ONE INCH of the length printed right on the deck. My other 3 splits are within 1/2 cm of their claimed size. :scratch:

Various ski & board companies measure length differently. 163 Jones could very well be a 163cm core before going into the press. Another company's 163 could be 163 after coming out of the press, etc... I've got a 160 Lib Tech Mullet & a 158 Rome Notch, they're pretty much the same length, whatever that actually is.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 6:49 am 

Look not trying to start a battle.. people read into the stuff too much..

The Jones works for me.. the base may not be perfect.. but it is a split board.. the base is going to get beat up..

but what ever. I am going snowboarding have fun ..

PostPosted: Sun Mar 25, 2012 8:37 am 

buell wrote:
As you say, it seems to really come down to where your binding is located relative to where the rocker starts. At least on the designs that are flat or slightly cambered underfoot to a rockered nose and tail.

It definitely makes a huge difference. First time out on the board I had the stance maxed out and it felt extremely unstable. It felt like the contact point along the edge was right underneath my front foot, which made me feel like the nose was going to wash out in a hard turn when I'm really trying to drive the nose in.

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 61 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next