Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Mon Oct 20, 2014 5:59 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: Re: Rocker Differentiation
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:54 pm 

hey barrows i wasnt tryin ta say your tastes is wrong or this shape is betta than that....
totally agree the ns rc and sidecut makes an unstable / manuverable / responsive ride and ya gotta pay attention to the terrain.
and rilly whatever shape ya spend time on and get used to will feel the most natural, most fun
but the arguement that a board cant rail a turn bigger than its radius is wrong, even if ya get Tom Burt to say it (again).
:shock: :lol: :shock:

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 10:45 pm 

Mark:

"but the arguement that a board cant rail a turn bigger than its radius is wrong, even if ya get Tom Burt to say it (again)."

Well, let's just say we disagree on the above point then! No worries though, not trying to argue with you, just trying to explain my preferences. For another perspective on the effect of deep/shallow sidecuts there is some good reading here:

furbergsnowboards.com

I will not post the link to TBs thoughts on this, as I am sure people can find those on their own. while I mostly agree with what TB and Daniel Furberg say, I have come to my own conclusions from riding lots of boards with both very deep (8 m radius) and very shallow (20 m radius) sidecuts.
But, in the end, this is snowboarding, and the most important thing is that we each choose equipment which suits the way we like to ride, and not what anyone else tells us "works" best.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 10:53 pm 

aw yeh i wasnt tryin ta be cheeky, just thought your description of the ns ride was abit off.
probly the best way to figure it out would be if ya bring yer snow shark up here, we gots the deeeep stuff, compare the rides head to head, i'll bring a screw driver.
oh yeh i noticed this thread is supposed to be bout rocker profiles not sidecuts....
curtis i found that the small diff bw ns rc profiles from the heritage to the raptor requires some change in my style of riding, it makes sense to try demo rent before you buy to see which of the variety of rocker shapes feels good to you, allowing for a bit of a learning curve adjusting to each shape

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 8:00 am 

Mark: no worries man, I did not take it personally, (and I hope you did not either) we are just having a discussion. :doobie:
After a very frustrating season here, I am starting to plan how I can spend a couple of weeks in the Canada interior next season. Perhaps we will have a chance to ride together then.
Yes, I brought up sidecuts in this thread, as just talking about rocker alone misses the point of how rocker, sidecut, flex profile, and stance all work together to create the board feel.

http://protectourwinters.org/
http://14ersnowboardproject.homestead.com/