Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Tue Oct 21, 2014 6:42 pm

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post subject: why no clip in between the bindings?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:09 am 

hello: Im new to splits and LOVE it, its too much fun. my question is why is there no china clip or K clip in between the bindings? I mean in the persuit of a stiff board and less torsional flex why wouldnt we put a clip in the center? there is room for it, it wouldnt affect touring. anybody try this? its the one spot we dont clamp. HAHA

Post subject: Re: why no clip in between the bindings?
PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:12 am 

My guess is that the gain wouldn't be that great given that your bindings are the two biggest "clamps" in your whole setup, so putting a little clip in between them wouldn't add much if you've got your bindings set up for a snug fit.

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:34 am 

I run triple K clips on my T.Rice w Korakorm set up and still want more. I cant stand that "sheer" effect. In my opinion the Spark R&D set up does a better job of holding the 2 halves together between the feet. When i flex the board on my feet, tortionally i notice a lot of play between the two halves of the board. This is where there is a lot of room for improvment in split board technology.

Does anybody else run triple k clips?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:39 am 

search for the splitboard pin

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:41 am 

http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au/splitpins.html

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 9:42 am 

Make some custom pucks that overlap, see making your own pucks, wildschnee and others

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:16 pm 

Elife wrote:
http://www.firstlightsnowboards.com.au/splitpins.html

Nice! Couldn't find a price on their website. Anyone know how much they are?

PostPosted: Mon Mar 19, 2012 5:39 pm 

Scooby2 wrote:
Make some custom pucks that overlap, see making your own pucks, wildschnee and others

Plus one.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 12:20 am 

I'm pretty sure I don't agree, bear with me I'm not just trying to be a smart arse....

My custom overlapping "pucks" are about as solid as I would want, there is no play or flex where the bindings are. But I experimented with a pin through the touring brackets, and I can still feel the difference, with the pin it's much stiffer torsionally. The middle of the board is the most flexing part, of my setup anyway.

It made me wonder why the touring brackets are not used as an additional structural reinforcement. You could very easiy machine a pair of touring brackets that overlap like a chinese hook, that would add minimal weight and you would not have use extra t-nuts either.

I already played with a design of a carbon plate that fits UNDER the touring bracket, but overlaps the boardhalves in the middle like a little chinese hook.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 7:14 am 

ieism wrote:
I'm pretty sure I don't agree, bear with me I'm not just trying to be a smart arse....

My custom overlapping "pucks" are about as solid as I would want, there is no play or flex where the bindings are. But I experimented with a pin through the touring brackets, and I can still feel the difference, with the pin it's much stiffer torsionally. The middle of the board is the most flexing part, of my setup anyway.

It made me wonder why the touring brackets are not used as an additional structural reinforcement. You could very easiy machine a pair of touring brackets that overlap like a chinese hook, that would add minimal weight and you would not have use extra t-nuts either.

I already played with a design of a carbon plate that fits UNDER the touring bracket, but overlaps the boardhalves in the middle like a little chinese hook.

Good idea! i tried a piece of stainless steel tubing between the K tour brackets and it stiffened it up a lot. Maybe a light weight piece of carbon under the tour brackets that overlap as well as under the heal lifters? could make it completly solid inbetween the bindings. i have a lot of flex just above the front bindng that bothers me a lot. i am going to try to figure out how to stiffen that area up as well.

PostPosted: Tue Mar 20, 2012 4:15 pm 

ieism wrote:

Great idea!!! I have no issues with flex but would defnitely use that idea. You might have to slot the mounting holes so different board widths would work and use a good adhesive to compensate.

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:39 am 

NICE!!! Im just worried the extra flex and torsion in between the binders will rip out a 3rd clamp. no problem with that splittyheaven? I too am a little uneasy about the chaffing and torsional flex of the two halfs.. regular top load flex is fine, its the torsion flex for steeps and hard surface I want back. I mean its not horrible but I did split the same board I ride everyday just 156- 159.. I LOVE split action its so fun. just thinking of the ride down too.

SH- I see your in colorado?? I also thought I read somewhere your in the vailish area? I'm looking for touring friends.. avy 1 and eager!

PostPosted: Wed Mar 21, 2012 7:40 am 

show me a pic of you triple K clamps Sheaven