Splitboard.com Forums

The World's first exclusive splitboard discussion forums

It is currently Fri Sep 19, 2014 2:53 am

All times are UTC - 8 hours [ DST ]

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next
 Post subject: Re: SuperNatural? Not in my backcountry!
PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 3:42 pm 

Canadiens, answer me this: Does a tenure permittee have the right to cut trees for something like SuperNatural?

I doubt Rice/RedBull would be permitted to cut trees on National Forest land here in the States for SuperNatural. Or BLM for that matter (even if they are considered the Bureau of Lumber and Mining.) I could see something like this happening on any one a thousand mining claims in Colorado.

If there's one thing I've learned in life (via my job), it's that if it's private property, something will happen there sometime, whether you like it or not. Unless you buy that private property.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 6:59 pm 

ricorides wrote:
If there's one thing I've learned in life (via my job), it's that if it's private property, something will happen there sometime, whether you like it or not. Unless you buy that private property.

It took me a long time to come to grips with this but not even private land is "safe". There is always imminent domain and money- and lies and coercion and rumors and finally the community imploding. A great and famous example I am very familiar with is the Owens Valley of California.

russman wrote:
We need to believe that some things in this world are sacred...

You hit the nail on the head. At the core of all issues are values. You can't always rationalize values or faith and that is the beauty and the frustration of being human.

I like having and knowing that there are truly wild places in this world left. I like wilderness areas (as defined by my understanding of the Wilderness Act of '64 in the US) because they have a certain feel.

Sure there are trails that allow us to travel easily and signs sometimes but I accept that as part of the deal. It bums me out some when you see very heavily impacted areas but I learned how to pick my areas appropriately as I recreated more in the Sierra.

Then there is USFS and BLM land. Fun to motorcycle, offroad, snowmobile etc. on. And also all the mining and timerbing that goes on is part of that deal usually.

I am generally leaning more towards Russ' side of being a hippie but there are so many contradictions, impracticalities and hypocrisies in living a "normal" life, let alone having fun splitting, while trying to truly be sustainable.

In the end I try to worry about what happens most about what's going on in my backyard literally and metaphorically.

Do I think it's cool to glorify slashing and burning forest and have that shit associated with all snowboarders? Nope but I don't get to pick.

All I can do really is be the change I want to see and try to rant in the most appropriate company, places and time.

I'm still working on all of the above. :rock:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:09 pm 

I'm still kinds pissed the FS burned all the piles in my backyard, early season it was gap to gap for a 1000ft.
building hits outta wood that will biodegrade after a few years, and give light to the 2-3-4 growth stands of these trees, well go get some.

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:27 pm 

Just to clarify:

What I do not like about the Supernatural contest, is cutting of mature trees to make "natural" features! Then advertise this contest as a backcountry experience (either by Red Bull or by a mountain lodge).

Will this media event, "give a stamp of approval" to every shredding Yahoo with chain saw to create log features from live trees? I have enough to be concern with backcountry risks (aka avalanche and group dynamics), I don't need some log feature throw into the avalanche mix. For example: the 'obit' would say, "the snowboarder deploy his avalanche airbag and survived the avalanche, but was pummeled to death by cut logs in the avalanche debris".

Are not the best Kickers built on slope 30 degrees or greater?

[BTW: Snow made Kickers, cool, just take them down when you leave the backcountry].

Will the celluloid value of such a contest, dictate the need to expand this contest to other remote mountain lodges?, So that Red Bull has a fresh canvas to advertise their "natural flavor"? I enjoy both winter camping "Further-style" and the remote mountain lodge experience, and much of the effort (both by leg power and the hard earned "dinero") is to see the view of pure backcountry. Not a bunch of link-n-logs on a slope after a contest is gone and scarred the landscape.

For a snowcat operation: I be willing to concede a little, if the cutting of log features, was on private property, that the features were part of a master plan of thinning and maintaining trails, and the features came down in the same season. But I do not want a permanent skate park in my backcountry!

As I hoped from taking extreme RANT, I mean post; This post has spawned several topics for discussion. Thinning: Legal (or illegal), using dead trees and snags for features, private property, and the blight the Pine Bark Beetle is having on our western forest.

Lastly, I want to ask the question: What are the impacts of creating features, riding logs, unsanctioned thinning have on the forest? Does such help or hurt the forest (such as the expansion of the pine beetle)? I just genuinely want to know. Do our actions (see above) impact a tree's protective bark and resins (therefore the forest), and allow the Pine Beetle to spread further? A ranger was upset at me for tying a line around tree for concern for impeding the tree's protective bark and resin. Was the ranger's concern true?

One might think it is only one tree, but take a drive along I-70 and see vast swathes of dead brown beetle infested pine trees. We do not need this parasite further ground to grow, especially, if actions, such as creating log features help further expand the beetles habitat. [Honestly, I admit it is a stretch here, but still a concern to me].

I cool (actually blow away) with the talent that is moving big mountain snowboarding, including Travis Rice, but keep the Backcountry Pure!

PS: I like Mtn bikes in my backcountry (not in Wilderness), Hypocrisy? I'm ok with that.

Shrednar:
See frame 1:20 to 1:30

and get Stomped! :lol:

PostPosted: Fri Mar 16, 2012 9:49 pm 

I've been arrested protesting timber sales. In these cases, logging would have seriously degraded the watershed as well as critical wildlife habitat. While the locations were sensitive, the harvest methods involved clearcuts, road building, and of course, heavy equipment. My problem isn't so much the cutting of a tree but the context and the overall impact an operation may have.

While I'm not familiar with the intricacies of the site for the supernatural event, in the video I'm not seeing clearcuts nor heavy equipment. In fact, in the final aerial shots, it didn't look like many trees were taken nor did the ground look heavily damaged. Again, it's hard making a judgment based on that video, but based on what I saw, this seems more an aesthetic issue than an environmental one. I think the real environmental issues in this sport are mostly related to ski area expansions.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:28 am 

ricorides wrote:
Canadiens, answer me this: Does a tenure permittee have the right to cut trees for something like SuperNatural?

I think it does. But I'm only 99% on that, I remember something about cutting for use purposes, as in to open a new face for skiing, but unclear on the full details.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 8:38 am 

Unintelligible rants about pine beetles, avalanche hazards, and MY BACKCOUNTRY RAWR! make you seem like either a troll or an uninformed jackass teenager who is a future member of the E.L.F. so the lord of the rings references make sense :lol:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 9:41 am 

The environmental damage in negligible, and hopefully it inspires younger riders to get out of the lift lines and explore their backcountry.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 3:11 pm 

On this list of environmental disasters this ranks pretty damn low. This is one face, on one mountain in the vast Canadian backcountry. How many faces this size are stripped completely of their trees for logging?

Look at the BC interior on google maps. Try and find the "Supernatural" site among the swaths of land clearcut and then take a second to think about your post. Not that I'm against logging - if it's managed sustainably. I'm just pointing out the relative environmental damage.

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 4:56 pm 

All the environmental stuff aside, I am getting kind of bored with this stuff. Rodeo...Double-Rodeo...Double-Cork...BS Misty 1080... :roll:

It's all starting to look and remind me of, Toe-Loop...Lutz...Sow-Cow...Triple-Axle... :roll:

I think it some much cooler when they ride natural terrain and turn it into something cool and new. You want ride in the park, go to the park. Just my :twocents:

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 10:51 pm 

PedroDelfuego wrote:
You want ride in the park, go to the park.

Exactly. And the mountains are littered with snowmusement parks enough already.

The back-country should remain wild.

181 Venture Storm Solid and Split
173 Rossi Race DIY Swallowtail Split

PostPosted: Sat Mar 17, 2012 11:11 pm 

Get over it.

PostPosted: Sun Mar 18, 2012 5:15 am 

^^^^^ Well put. ^^^^

Post new topic Reply to topic  [ 60 posts ]  Go to page Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5  Next